• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
haven't seen a ball but are some people really suggesting drop one of the most talented cricketers i've ever seen with a domestic batting average of 58 because his first few knocks weren't good?

this isn't australia 2001, you can't do this and still win games man.
I think only one person seems to be actively calling for Green's head, dropping him now would be stupid especially given his innings in Melbourne. Wade OTOH.....

Gob

International Coach
Some healthy and positive discussions have happened while I was out with my gf doing gf/bf stuff

The way I see it, Usman should not bat below 3 because he is not very good at starting off against the spin. I also like to have experimental/debut type players batting either as openers or at six cos I like the meaty part of the batting line up to be stuffed with experienced and consistent players. Marnus and Smith do that job for you and the next best middle order bat imo is Shaun Marsh. He could be playing now at 5 had Shaun held a Pakistani birth certificate but as it stands, he is bit too old.

I don't know exactly what to make of Pucovski opening. On one hand, I think he is good enough but yesterday I read a cricinfo piece about his concussion history and that is a real worry. There will come a time when everyone has to decide how many is too many because him getting hit one in every few games seems more of a norm than an odd one out.

Unlike many here, I do endorse Head. He is only 27 and he has shown in his short career that he can score runs at the highest level but unfortunately seems to throw away good starts too often that too playing poor shots which makes it look even worse.

morgieb

So far, Green is failing with 68 runs @ 17.00 and no wickets in 3 Tests. Looks nice on the potential team sheet at 6 though :)
[/QUOTE]
And what about Wade/Head's stats? And who else in Shield cricket would be better?

OverratedSanity

Green has a ton of potential. Wouldnt drop him but even if he is, reckon he's too good to not bounce back and become a successful all rounder one day.

What I'm saying is he's got tons of talent but is just a bit green. Badumtss.

Spikey

obviously as per tradition, green is in trouble if australia lose a match and he fails a couple of times. particularly if he allows a narrative to grow (LBW prone, slow starter, etc etc)

long term it'd be interesting if they decide they don't need an all-rounder for a particular series and have a batting option, but that won't happen for awhile

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Pucovski
Maxwell
Peirson (c) (k)
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Lyon

The perfect balance of tactical nous and potential human resources.

Gob

International Coach
Green's defensive game looks solid (cant read too much in to today's dismissal cos Boomrah with the new pill can get through the best of them), he spends time in the middle but he is not finding ways to score runs and at the moment he looks a bit limited.

And its important to note that I said he looks limited. Steve Smith looked limited in the first two games until de decided to give the filth Ravi Ashwin dished up the treatment it deserves. All the big all rounders who batted at six were known for counter attacking batting and Green's natural game play is pretty positive. Obviously you cant ask him to bat like Stokes after two tests but maybe he should look to be bit more proactive. Bowlers love guys who just defend ball after ball

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If somehow we win or even draw this series, it looks like a couple of good to potentially good players will be dropped by Australia. Green has only played two tests and did play well at Melbourne, coz if he had failed there, Australia would have actually had an innings defeat. Its too early to write off the kid. Give him the series, then take the call.

And why would you drop Paine? I am not a fan of his but who else you got who can captain?