• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2021 English Cricket Season

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pope continuing to dominate county cricket.
It's tempting to be dismissive of runs scored on a flat Oval track against this Leicestershire attack, but Pope's average in the CC is quite something. Looking ahead to the first test series, Stokes' absence means an interesting choice between playing Pope and Lawrence at 5 and 6, or playing one of the wicket keepers at 6 so we can play five bowlers. I think I'd favour the former, but I suspect that the selectors will disagree.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Zaib (left hand) has just got one of the worst decisions i've seen in a long time. Given out lbw Way outside offstump when he gets hit by a parkinson (bowling right arm around the wicket) leg break. Image below. Just have to feel sorry for the batsman. Only thing I can think off is the umpire has decided the batsman wasn't playing a shot - or just a complete brain freeze.Zaib lbw.png

theegyptian

I think it was 6 games that went into the final session this round, probably 5 of which were still in interesting positions. Loads of hard fought games. Good news for the game.

This is going to be a tough one for Notts to take. Will they ever win a championship game again?

hassan918

Cricket Spectator
Zaib (left hand) has just got one of the worst decisions i've seen in a long time. Given out lbw Way outside offstump when he gets hit by a parkinson (bowling right arm around the wicket) leg break. Image below. Just have to feel sorry for the batsman. Only thing I can think off is the umpire has decided the batsman wasn't playing a shot - or just a complete brain freeze.View attachment 27939
You got to be kidding me, even my nine years old boy wouldn't give it OUT.

Bijed

International Regular
Zaib (left hand) has just got one of the worst decisions i've seen in a long time. Given out lbw Way outside offstump when he gets hit by a parkinson (bowling right arm around the wicket) leg break. Image below. Just have to feel sorry for the batsman. Only thing I can think off is the umpire has decided the batsman wasn't playing a shot - or just a complete brain freeze.View attachment 27939
Cricinfo's match report describes the shot as 'looking like an afterthought' so possibly fair enough on impact. But then questions whether it was going to hit the stumps anyway haha, so who knows?

Worth looking up Parkinson's 'ball of the century' from Friday too

theegyptian

Cricinfo's match report describes the shot as 'looking like an afterthought' so possibly fair enough on impact. But then questions whether it was going to hit the stumps anyway haha, so who knows?

Yes I watched the clip 10 or 15 (probably now 20-30 having revisited it) times and I think Zaib's initial intent was to leave the ball, but imo by the time the ball hit his pad I thought he'd definitely played a shot- and it was a genuine attempt at playing the ball. and yes the ball looks unlikely to hit the stumps.

I will admit though I've only seen the wicket in isolation. I didn't see the buildup to the wicket. Maybe Zaib was getting outside the line and making faux attempts at playing the ball.

The clip of the wicket can be seen here for anyone who wants to see it. https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#mc19afd76-b6bd-48a4-ba9d-fd2dac9caa7c
Go to the Northamptonshire second innings and click the hyperlink corresponding to Zaib.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
No need to look at that more than once. You can't give that out if you know the laws of cricket, or even have any instinct for the game.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

a Manchennai wicket

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
murtagh is an absolute jewel in the crown of county cricket man. so crafty and subtle. he is all over surrey this morning.
How's TRJ bowling, forgotten man of English cricket, but when we get the inevitable pile-up of injuries, maybe interesting to see if he gets a Test or two in the home series, if properly fit should be in consideration IMHO.

jack Leach to be Somersets regular number 5, nice to see some stability, and non-stupidity in the top-order.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
But arguably not as bad as my lot; comfortably thrashed by Middlesex, who were themselves being lambasted on these pages a week or so ago. Good performance by the one decent quick that Surrey have produced in the last 20 years, but unfortunately Murtagh plays for Middlesex nowadays. We must have had some pretty good opening bowlers at the time to let him go, but for life of me I can't think who they were. Ditto opening bats and Sibley of course.

theegyptian

Good to see Bess making a good contribution today. Needs that. The Yorkshire faithful aren't the most patient I'm lead to believe so important wickets to solidify his place in teh side. Bowling lots of overs too.

Quite a few spinners getting lots of overs under their belts with the weather as it is, which is good.

theegyptian

Having a look at some of the highlights from today and there are a couple of cracking leaves. Worrall left a straight one from Crane bowled middle and off. Van Zyl leaves a straight one from Bess bowled offstump. Good bowling and some average batting.

theegyptian

Looks a tasty knock by vasconcelas.

Maybe an even more tasty knock by Yates (left hand bat) on day 4 vs Harmer, although having just checked some highlights doesn't look like there was any real deterioration of the wicket across the 4 days.