• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stephen, your team sucks bro
Hardly, but they have played so far from their potential thus far.

I missed the early wickets in day one but watching them on replay they were largely awful weren't they? Bancroft, Warner, Khawaja didn't really get out to his balls, they got themselves out. Warner looked mentally all over the place. Bancroft was set up and went for the sucker ball. Khawaja nicked a bad ball. One of those three needed to hang around with Smith.

The ball was doing a bit during the 5 wicket collapse after the Smith/Head partnership but that was the most it did all day.

Australia are used to this. The current administration drops incumbents all the time and we pay for it by having unsettled batsmen. Patterson and Burns would have come into this game with their confidence riding high after centuries in their last test and for Burns, a century in the tour game. Instead we've got an opener looking for redemption who wasn't very good before his fall from grace and a guy who is in form but hasn't been in the side for a couple of years.

To cap it all off we're playing a bowler who can't make the Victorian first XI half the time.

91Jmay

International Coach

I missed the early wickets in day one but watching them on replay they were largely awful weren't they? Bancroft, Warner, Khawaja didn't really get out to his balls, they got themselves out. Warner looked mentally all over the place. Bancroft was set up and went for the sucker ball. Khawaja nicked a bad ball. One of those three needed to hang around with Smith.

The ball was doing a bit during the 5 wicket collapse after the Smith/Head partnership but that was the most it did all day.

Australia are used to this. The current administration drops incumbents all the time and we pay for it by having unsettled batsmen. Patterson and Burns would have come into this game with their confidence riding high after centuries in their last test and for Burns, a century in the tour game. Instead we've got an opener looking for redemption who wasn't very good before his fall from grace and a guy who is in form but hasn't been in the side for a couple of years.

To cap it all off we're playing a bowler who can't make the Victorian first XI half the time.
Calling Khawaja's a bad ball is a bit odd to be honest.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Stephen Staaaahp pls. We get it. How couldn’t we get it?

BSM

U19 Cricketer
You’re making this sound a bit like day three at n Adelaide test with Boycott and Gooch still in. Did you watch the day’s play at all?
Watched all of it. Another day we could have been bowled out for lower than australia's total. Bowlers weren't exceptional but they were definitely unlucky. Not to say we didn't bat well, but both Burns and Root could have been out early

I'm being optimistic (which is why I said ideally, meaning there is a good chance it won't happen as well). With the batting we've got I'd expect us to at least survive another session and a bit. If not then Australia will have done really well and will still be in the test match

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Great score to wake up to........happy to see we've dug in and scraped hard to get to a decent position. Job not done yet by a long shot though, same again tomorrow for at least 2 sessions required.

TheJediBrah

Didn't see any of the play but news this morning seems to be focussing on bad umpiring? Apparently a lot of decisions overturned, or would have been if reviewed.

IMO there's a simple solution, other than scrapping neutral umps. If the officiating is going to be this bad then give the teams more reviews. Just common sense really. Then they wouldn't be hesitant to use it, Lyon would probably have had Burns out on 19.

The umps do need to be better though. Not sure how to fix that but in the meantime give the players more reviews.

Flem274*

123/5
i feel like people are getting far less tolerant of human officials as tv and replays improve. i can't think of a single sport where you could say the refs are all good. both rugby codes have some terrible or highly creative reffing.

fans would grumble a bit but just cop it before hd tv, especially in the amatuer era, but not now.

the big bambino

International Captain
I reckon with drs we can drop the requirement for neutral umps. Just get the two best umps available for the ashes, even if they’re English. Have to say I was worried about the umps when I saw who was officiating. Implemented as an answer to bias, neutrals now can become an invitation to incompetence.

As for the play well done Burns. Looks awful. Cashed in his luck. Root was solid and gave a start to his middle and lower order to work with.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
DRS is almost rewriting the LBW law, or at least the enforcement of it. In the past a batsman getting a big stride forward couldn’t be given out (Darrell Hair not withstanding) as there was too much guess work in the decision. The number of balls DRS shows to be hitting is quite alarming, and it doesn’t matter how far forward the batsman has got.

TheJediBrah

i feel like people are getting far less tolerant of human officials as tv and replays improve. i can't think of a single sport where you could say the refs are all good. both rugby codes have some terrible or highly creative reffing.

fans would grumble a bit but just cop it before hd tv, especially in the amatuer era, but not now.
I think maybe your memory is a bit short. Before DRS complaining about the umps in cricket was huge. There's was plenty of talk of bad decisions deciding matches and series.

On another note, just because we have drs doesn't mean the umps get a free pass, and you shouldn't blame the players for nor reviewing. Umps still need to be competent

Starfighter

I can only see this match going one way now. To think we could have had the bugger at 19. ****.

i feel like people are getting far less tolerant of human officials as tv and replays improve.
Hey, they aren't provoking riots like you used to get in the West Indies or India.

TheJediBrah

DRS is almost rewriting the LBW law, or at least the enforcement of it. In the past a batsman getting a big stride forward couldn’t be given out (Darrell Hair not withstanding) as there was too much guess work in the decision. The number of balls DRS shows to be hitting is quite alarming, and it doesn’t matter how far forward the batsman has got.
Opposite happens as well though. Warner lbw yesterday looked out to most people but drs showed it missing.

flibbertyjibber

To think if DRS was in McGrath would be a 400 wicket trundler and Warne an 800 wicket leg end

Flem274*

123/5
I think maybe your memory is a bit short. Before DRS complaining about the umps in cricket was huge. There's was plenty of talk of bad decisions deciding matches and series.

On another note, just because we have drs doesn't mean the umps get a free pass, and you shouldn't blame the players for nor reviewing. Umps still need to be competent
there was, but people ultimately copped it and moved on unless they were indian or burgey going on about the 05 ashes.

now with drs, i feel like it's moved to another level. we know we can have better now, so snivelling lickspittles like ***** are rightly cyberbullied.

Flem274*

123/5
yep, a lot of spinners will feel robbed.

especially meme ones that barely turn it, but the umpires used to assume they did.

Starfighter

Opposite happens as well though. Warner lbw yesterday looked out to most people but drs showed it missing.
I always find ones like this interesting. Am I the only one who could swear it looked like it was straightening at full speed? Even though replays revealed it wasn't.

social

Just one of those days where nothing went Australia’s way although I thought Lyon was disappointing