• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

Groundking

International Debutant
Watched only the first 100 mins today, but thought Burns was excellent from what I saw other than his chance that Paine didn't review and he's gone on to get a big score so well done to him hopefully he kicks on tomorrow and keeps going and put the game out of bed for the Aussies.

91Jmay

International Coach
We should be aiming for a 150 lead here really. Need one of these two (ideally Stokes) to be there at lunch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just said that pretty much word for word to my mate.

Get a lead like that and I can’t see us not winning

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Got a good opportunity to bat really long and work their bowlers into the dirt here. 1st test match of a series with quick turnarounds. Ideally we should bat maybe a bit into the evening session, in which case we might end up with a 150-200 lead which should be enough. Still not sure about Burns' technique, but you've got to say his temperament is excellent. Goes without saying that I would like to see him go even bigger.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah you'd want something decent from this position but there's still a likelihood of just a slim lead if we get tripped up early on tomorrow .

I'm pretty pleased with where we're at though . Usually in modern Ashes tests I worry when we don't score 300 runs a day , These little pissy 240s and 250s run days don't put enough pressure on for my liking .However an English player has just batted all day ...and he didn't have to farm the tail or nowt . That's promising stuff for the series .

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poor days play by Australia though to be honest the bowling wasn't that bad.

At the start of the series I said Siddle should be warming the bench. His batting notwithstanding, he was innocuous all day. Pattinson was finding the edge regularly at least and was the pick of the Aussie bowlers.

Dropping Patterson, Burns and one of Starc/ Hazelwood looks worse by the moment.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
Fairplay to the Aussie bowlers . There were long periods when Burns and Root especially, didn't know where their next run was coming from . I never felt Burns was 'in' all day .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice work by Burns to hang in for the ton. Annoying day for our blokes, but you can’t help the bad luck of being in Birmingham. I saw the shot of the city they posted on comms with a fire in the background, and like the rest of the world was hoping the joint had burned down, but never mind.

Didn’t do a lot wrong, and on another day the SDs would have been out for 150. Heard Hussain say late in the day Burns had played and missed 35 times. Extraordinary luck or the SDs today but you take what you can. Cummins got a bit better as the day went on but the other bowlers I thought were very good. Do the same tonight and with an even set of breaks they can wrap the innings up quickly.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cracking day of Test Cricket that really. Shame footy season starts tomorrow, will only catch the first session.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got a good opportunity to bat really long and work their bowlers into the dirt here. 1st test match of a series with quick turnarounds. Ideally we should bat maybe a bit into the evening session, in which case we might end up with a 150-200 lead which should be enough. Still not sure about Burns' technique, but you've got to say his temperament is excellent. Goes without saying that I would like to see him go even bigger.
You’re making this sound a bit like day three at n Adelaide test with Boycott and Gooch still in. Did you watch the day’s play at all?