• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13 overrated players of the last 20 odd years

C_C

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Yes but other things come into a debate like that, such as the ridiculously biased Pakistani umpires at that time which pretty much cancel out unfavourable conditions.
I am sorry but while PAK umpiring was pretty biassed, it was the norm around the world and popular opinion amongst players from that era is that it doesnt get more biassed than AUS umpiring.
Look at Bill Lawry - i think he was given lbw in OZ once or twice in his entire career.

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
I am sorry but while PAK umpiring was pretty biassed, it was the norm around the world and popular opinion amongst players from that era is that it doesnt get more biassed than AUS umpiring.
Look at Bill Lawry - i think he was given lbw in OZ once or twice in his entire career.
I think we can safely say that, for a time, the umpiring in Pakistan was as loaded towards the home team as it could possibly be

C_C

International Captain
Swervy said:
I think we can safely say that, for a time, the umpiring in Pakistan was as loaded towards the home team as it could possibly be

Mikey Holding, Viv Richards, Sunil Gavaskar, Mohinder Amarnath, Mike Brearley, etc. all disagree with you.
Regardless of your perceptions, popular opinion amongst ex players of home umpiring era is that OZ was the most biassed umpiring venue, NZ vs WI 79-80 was the single biggest exhibition of blatant umpiring bias and PAK is second most biassed umpiring.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Yeah and i am so talking about one series amnt i ?
Why dont we talk about Warney in all matches when McGrath isnt present ?
And how many occasions has that happened then?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Err Warney is perfectly suited to OZ conditions

Warney is massively dependent on McGrath because when McGrath isnt present, Warney cannot match Murali's propensity of taking wickets or average -
Shows that when the bowling support stakes are even ( actually it is still slightly in Warney's favour because even minus McGrath, OZ support crew for Warney is superior to the support crew for Murali) Murali does far better.

1. Did i deny that

2. Really well i guess u missed the sri lankan series in 2004 & the ashes

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
Sachin tendulkar
Matthew Hayden
Shoaib Akhtar
Aravinda Desilva
Yousuf Youhana
Inzamam Ul Haq
Chris Gayle
Ramnaresh Sarwan
James Anderson
Matthew Hoggard
Marcus Trescothick
Shaun Tait
Stuart Macgill
Shane Watson
Irfan Pathan
Ricky Ponting
Justin Langer
Nathan Bracken
Andrew Symonds
Graeme Hick
Shaun Pollock
Makhaya Ntini
Harbhajan Singh

and those are just the first few that come to mind.....
Interesting selections TEC..........I agree with most of the above, particularly Pathan. Although I can't agree with Aravinda. I actually always felt he was a little underated....but each to his own.

Nice to see no NZ names in your list...... :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
Slifer, how is Dravid underrated? Who doesn't rate him highly?
dravid was very very underrated for a long time and people refused to accept( and still do) that hes the best batsman in the world.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
How Tait, Watson or Bracken can be overrated when they've played virtually no international cricket is beyond me. Tait and Watson are rated as huge talents and nothing more, which is what they are, and their domestic records back this up. If someone is a huge success in domestic cricket, and doesn't play enough international cricket to indicate they aren't up to the increase in standard, how can they have been considered to perform worse than they are rated? It just doesn't make any sense..
so tait and watson were overhyped by you and several others before they bowled a single ball in international cricket? watson the player who will be 'at least as good as flintoff with the bat' despite him having done absolutely nothing yet, tait being part of the so called '2nd best bowling attack in the world' and bracken, the fact that he was even rated is beyond belief. ask hick, he'll tell you that you dont have to play a game at the international level to be overrated.

FaaipDeOiad said:
And, I think several of the players on your list are in fact quite underrated, including Hoggard, Ntini and Bracken.
bracken?
thats an absolute joke. what bracken has done in domestic cricket or international test match cricket that he deserves to be rated is unknown. the fact that he left handed and can swing the ball doesnt make him a half decent bowler, as our friend irfan is finding out.
and ntini, the best bowler in the world not so long ago, who averages nearly 40 away from home.
hoggard too, who time and time again, keeps getting rated for no apparent reason, most recently by you, who said that he'd be the only bowler from the english side to make the australian team. how long its going to take for people to realise that when the ball is not moving about considerably(off the seam or in the air) he is totally and completely useless.

FaaipDeOiad said:
And, on this board at least, Tait and Watson get far less credit than they deserve for their ability, given both were written off as average before they actually did anything wrong. Watson has been rubbished left and right as a crap batsman because he isn't a good number 8 slogger in ODIs, and a crap bowler when in fact he is primarily a top 4 batsman and not a bowler. And Tait was written off as crap because he either has an unorthodox action or he is inaccurate, neither of which stopped him from stunning all opposition at just 22 years of age in his first full domestic season. He might well turn out to be nothing special, but to suggest he hasn't been impressive so far is ludicrous. Ntini is an improving test bowler and a very, very good ODI bowler with a superb economy rate and wicket taking ability better than most, Hoggard is not great but better than he is usually rated (at least here in Australia) and Bracken is improving and extemely dangerous when the ball swings, and at least accurate when it doesn't. He's never going to be a great bowler, but he isn't completely useless either.
i think you seem to be confusing the term 'underrated' with 'players i dont rate'. watson most certainly hasnt been rubbished by too many people on this board, infact theres almost a consensus that 'hes better than flintoff was at the same age' hence he is likely to be the next flintoff.
similarly tait was extremely overrated before he bowled a ball at the international level. and oh how surprising, tait just got injured 8-)

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
I will love to know how Ponting is considered over-rated?
please tell me how hes not? hes considered the equal of dravid, and all time great and everything, yet he struggles against spin and has been a miserable failure in india.

Craig said:
MacGill (I will never give up the point that he is not as bad as he is made out to be),
how many people make him out to be poor. the vast majority of people who make him out to be bad are actually on this board, the majority of the people believe that macgill would have been one of the best spin bowlers(and some still believe that he is) if warne didnt play for australia.

Craig said:
inconsistent, as a match by match analysis of him would prove.

Craig said:
his record against australia and SA for one thing.

C_C

International Captain
aussie said:
1. Did i deny that

2. Really well i guess u missed the sri lankan series in 2004 & the ashes

Did i say that Warney is useless ? No - he is a great bowler. Just that IMO he is not a patch on murali. Obviously he's had good series but relative to murali, he's done far worse with or without McGrath- i am talking overall career here, not a good series here or there.

tooextracool

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
Interesting selections TEC..........I agree with most of the above, particularly Pathan. Although I can't agree with Aravinda. I actually always felt he was a little underated....but each to his own.

aravindas record away from home is extremely ordinary.

zinzan12 said:
Nice to see no NZ names in your list...... :D
there'd be a few, none of them come to mind on first thought. theres probably less from NZ than other countries in the world because none of them are rated very highly. the few of them that i've come across since watching cricket are geoff allott, matthew bell, scott styris, chris martin and lou vincent

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:

Ever got a chance to read the book 'Best of the Best' by Charlie Davis. ;) It will open you eyes about umpiring status all over the world.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
because of course an average of 36 away from home is so brilliant?
It's pretty good considering that Aravinda played for a weak team like SL, played majority of his cricket in 80s and mid 90s when the pitches weren't so flat.

No one is saying that Aravinda was in Richards, Gavaskar, Miandad league but IMO hardly over-rated. If anything he is massively under-rated compared to batsmen like Atherton, Gooch etc.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
It's pretty good considering that Aravinda played for a weak team like SL, played majority of his cricket in 80s and mid 90s when the pitches weren't so flat.

No one is saying that Aravinda was in Richards, Gavaskar, Miandad league but IMO hardly over-rated. If anything he is massively under-rated compared to batsmen like Atherton, Gooch etc.
hes often referred to as a great player, both in ODIs and test matches, when hes clearly not in either form of the game. he was better than most of the SL players yes, but that does not necessarily make him a great or even very good player because of that.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
hes often referred to as a great player, both in ODIs and test matches, when hes clearly not in either form of the game. he was better than most of the SL players yes, but that does not necessarily make him a great or even very good player because of that.
Unfortunately people who base their opinions after looking at averages @howstat.com :laugh: wont understand why Aravinda is a great batsman.