• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th Man CDs

Steulen

International Regular
I still can't figure out why pak.i is a racist term, unless aussie and dutchie are considered racist as well :?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Steulen said:
I still can't figure out why pak.i is a racist term, unless aussie and dutchie are considered racist as well :?

The context that it's used in determines whether it's to be considered racist or not. The Pakistanis that I know call each each other Pakis and they don't mind it at all. If I were to call one of them a **** then they would probably give me a smack or something.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
not in Holland
in Holland they are fine with it, and even wear Proud to be Pak.i shirts!

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I've heard the 12th Man albums. The early ones are definitely the best, IMO.

Racist? No. The abbreviated form of Pakistani is only considered offensive in Britain, and like many antipodeans on here, I found that one out the hard way.

As far as making fun of the foreign names goes, who cares? The Channel 9 goons get far more fun poked at them than any of the "players".

R_D

International Debutant
Steulen said:
Not exactly sure but more to do with attitude of some people in England... Say if your from Sub-cont region... they just call them p***.. rather derogatory term.

Also there was a chant in one of the football matches.. " I'd rather be p*** than a TurK or was it someone else ?" somthing along the line... sounds pretty racists to me. Hence why people in England specially find it to be a racist term.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In UK, South Asians are all put under the umbrella of "****", and hence why it is an offensive word over there. Its intention is to be racially abusive, so obviously its offensive.

andmark

International Captain
PhoenixFire said:
I'm sure that a few people have heard of this guy in Aus. He is basically one bloke ripping off and taking the piss out of the Channel 9 commentary team. Richie Benaud, Tony Greig, Bill Lawry, Max Taylor, Greg & Ian Chappel, Michael Holding and David Gower; They are all ridiculed to an extent that I was in stitches when I heard it. It's pretty rude, racist and lewd, but really funny. Have you people ever heard of it and do you think it;s funny?
He should respect Richie and holding.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
An Australian Christmas and The 12th Man have gone hand in hand now for over 20 years. And so the release of a new double album on December 2 will have all The 12th Man fans salivating with anticipation - especially when they learn that the new album is titled "Boned". This 2CD SET features Eddie McGuire 'boning' the entire Channel 9 Cricket Commentary team with The 12th Man taking over the microphone. Listen as Richie, Bill, Tony and the boys do whatever it takes to get their jobs back.
Looking forward to this!

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can anyone cofirm this. I heard on the radio yesterday that there was a new 12th Man Album coming out soon??

EDIT: Forget i said this, didnt read the above posts

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
"Right off the vegetable of the bat"

"Schnozzle warehouse, maks your face grouse!(great/good im presuming)"

"When some big kiwi prick gets a 4 from a nick it Parore!"

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stephen Waugh "Woe Woe Woe what is he good for?"

The womens body building contest line always brings a laugh as well.... "And Annabolic has just popped a testicle out" :blink: :ph34r:

Same can be said for the Labels given to the beverages produced by Richie from his Vineyard in France, "Chateau over the floor" & "Chateau on the floor" :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
PhoenixFire said:
The one that I have certainly is, and pretty funny. They refer to the Pakistanis as Pakis and take the piss out of there names and religion frequently, although with no malice.
that is an oxymoron if ever there was one. Making fun of a country just to make money is malice enough, I would have thought.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think there's anything particularly malicious in the mocking of the subcontintal teams on the 12th man records, for the simple reason that he mocks everyone, and I don't think you could possibly suggest that Birmingham's attitude towards, say, Richie Benaud or the Australian team is "malicious". The extent of the racial jokes on 12th man is basically parodies of subcontinental names. "Sooni'll Haveascar", "Rubbish Binny" etc. In the stuff about other sports there's stuff about european names as well, IIRC. And the use of the abbreviated form of Pakistani is genuinely unmalicious because it really doesn't have racist connotations in Australia.

It's certainly crude and low-brow, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it racist. Incidentally, aren't these albums reasonably popular among subcontinental cricket fans as well? I often see them being distributed on cricket torrent sites that are based in the subcontinent and so on.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Steulen said:
Because

A) It's used as a slur in the UK and B) They take offence to it here