• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th Man CDs

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
@ rich about 2

no they don't , they call each other ****'s! that my perception anyway, you english just crooked it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't think there's anything particularly malicious in the mocking of the subcontintal teams on the 12th man records, for the simple reason that he mocks everyone, and I don't think you could possibly suggest that Birmingham's attitude towards, say, Richie Benaud or the Australian team is "malicious". The extent of the racial jokes on 12th man is basically parodies of subcontinental names. "Sooni'll Haveascar", "Rubbish Binny" etc. In the stuff about other sports there's stuff about european names as well, IIRC. And the use of the abbreviated form of Pakistani is genuinely unmalicious because it really doesn't have racist connotations in Australia.

It's certainly crude and low-brow, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it racist. Incidentally, aren't these albums reasonably popular among subcontinental cricket fans as well? I often see them being distributed on cricket torrent sites that are based in the subcontinent and so on.
IF he makes fun of everyone, then I guess it is ok. But the point is, if he is using racial slurs to make fun of Pakistan or INdia, then it is wrong, no matter what the intent is (which, in this case, is to make money).

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't think there's anything particularly malicious in the mocking of the subcontintal teams on the 12th man records, for the simple reason that he mocks everyone, and I don't think you could possibly suggest that Birmingham's attitude towards, say, Richie Benaud or the Australian team is "malicious". The extent of the racial jokes on 12th man is basically parodies of subcontinental names. "Sooni'll Haveascar", "Rubbish Binny" etc. In the stuff about other sports there's stuff about european names as well, IIRC. And the use of the abbreviated form of Pakistani is genuinely unmalicious because it really doesn't have racist connotations in Australia.

It's certainly crude and low-brow, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it racist. Incidentally, aren't these albums reasonably popular among subcontinental cricket fans as well? I often see them being distributed on cricket torrent sites that are based in the subcontinent and so on.
Exactly, he makes fun of any name that'll lend itself to the cause. He does a call of an Olympic race and every runner in the race cops it. There's "Lars Persson" from Sweden and "Paddy O'Furniture" from Ireland. There's Russian weightlifters, American gymnasts, Australian soccer players. It's not purely a vehicle to take the piss out of players from the subcontinent...and it is purely a play on how the names sound to us, just as English names sound funny in other languages (Gary, for instance, sounds a lot like 'diahorrea' in Japanese)

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
They really aren't racial slurs. They're plays on words picking up on the fact that some names sound like phrases in English. The Pakistani and Sri Lankan names are favourites of his, presumably because its hard to make any decent pun out of "Graham Gooch" or "Martin Crowe".

He has a running gag that Tony Greig says racially inappropriate things (which is unfortunately based on some factual grounds), so there are a few remarks by him as Tony that might sound dodgy, but then in his other personas he heaps crap on Tony whenever he says something like that.

You're more likely to be offended by the f-bomb being used every second word and tonnes and tonnes of toilet humour.

They're classic CDs here - "Still the 12th Man" was the first CD I ever bought. Classic lines like Tony Greig: "Hey Ritchie, just want you to know, I don't hold a grudge. For me a grudge is no more than a place to park your car!".

kenny44

Cricket Spectator
Anyone have any more info on the new 12th man CD? Confirmed release date? Price? Available just in Aussie or NZ aswell?

Been waiting a long time for a new one!

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
They really aren't racial slurs. They're plays on words picking up on the fact that some names sound like phrases in English. The Pakistani and Sri Lankan names are favourites of his, presumably because its hard to make any decent pun out of "Graham Gooch"
The point is valid, but why use Gooch as the example?! :laugh:

It wont be long before a white person only has to mention or even look in the same direction as a person not from their own country and they will be considered racist.:ph34r: