• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricket team has the best "Spin Department"

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Now, I understand what you're saying and I don't want another prodigy to go to waste in Indian cricket. The good thing is that we have 2 capable spinners ahead of him and 2 others in Powar and Kartik who are in the scheme of things, so we're not exactly desperate for Chawla as we were for Parthiv earlier.

Doesn't matter, he shouldn't be anywhere near the test team. Here are the list of young Indian debutants:

S Tendulkar SUCCESS
P Chawla TBD
L Sivaramakrishnan FAILURE
Maninder Singh FAILURE
Ravi Shastri: SUCCESS
Chetan Sharma: MIANDAD
Narendra Hirwani: FAILURE
P Patel: FAILURE

Thats 5 failures, 1 TBD and 2 success. That is a horrible conversion rate, considering these are supposed to be the brightest and best prospects of your country.

No, Chawla should have bowled two full seasons in domestic cricket, then gone on tours with India 'A', and then when he was around Panesar's age...maybe then you pick him for a home series to get him started.

He shouldn't be within a hundred mile vicinity of the Test team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
It's certainly unfortunate. Much maligned though he is, he's performed a specific role in the England attack and has never given up through all the criticism.
And more importantly than "performing that specific role" (which he's also failed to do on occasions - most notably vs South Africa in 2003) he's also performed very well when given the chance to attack on turning pitches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
I'll be honest, I thought we'd slipped into a time-warp & somehow "Mad" Raymond was still chairman of selectors when I saw him in the squad! Replacing Fred with him was roughly like replacing Michelangelo with Damien Hurst! :laugh:
Why? They were both rubbish at the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
I've heard that Casson, Cullen and Xavier Doherty (?) are good, but I can't confirm it. I can't even confirm that Xavier Doherty is the bloke that I'm thinking of's name.
I've heard they are good, too.
And if they are, I'll be quite flabbergasted.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
adharcric said:
Everyone has a different level of maturity, age doesn't indicate everything. Tendulkar was ready at 16
Sorry, what? The same Tendulkar who took 20 Tests to start looking like the product? Before that Fourth South Africa Test he was usually just striking flash-in-the-pan odd centuries, however good those centuries might have been.
Tendulkar was brought in too young like any 16-year-old would be, and he was lucky that, unlike most people, it didn't do his long-term prospects any harm.

amit2

Banned
obviously ind has the best spin department in cricket. v have the worlds top 2 spinners playing for us in kumble and harbhajan. no others teams spin department comes even close. even part-timers like yuvraj from ind can bowl better than regular spinners of some teams.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even if he can't control the thing very well, a la MacGill?
Which his First-Class record suggests he can't.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Even if he can't control the thing very well, a la MacGill?
Which his First-Class record suggests he can't.
I'll tell you what - if he has a test career like MacGill's I'll be pretty happy.

Anyway, I wouldn't read too much into his first class record at this point in time. He's only 23 after all, and has plenty of time to improve it. Talent is the key issue in a bowler at that age.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And we know so certainly that Casson has that talent?
Wristspin is a notoriously difficult thing to bowl to Australian domestic, let alone Test, standard.
Would you seriously be happy with Casson having a career like the 2nd part of MacGill's? Where MacGill has positively influenced, oh... 3 or 4 Tests?
Sure, anyone would be happy with MacGill's up-to-WACA2000\01 career, but it'd be a poor Test bowler who'd be happy with that since it.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I've heard they are good, too.
And if they are, I'll be quite flabbergasted.
Why? Is it flabbergasting that some decent young spinning prospects should exist in Australian FC cricket?

Whether any of them would be a good test bowler right now is one thing, but its just churlish to refuse to believe there could be good young players out there.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
And we know so certainly that Casson has that talent?
Wristspin is a notoriously difficult thing to bowl to Australian domestic, let alone Test, standard.
Would you seriously be happy with Casson having a career like the 2nd part of MacGill's? Where MacGill has positively influenced, oh... 3 or 4 Tests?
Sure, anyone would be happy with MacGill's up-to-WACA2000\01 career, but it'd be a poor Test bowler who'd be happy with that since it.
Being someone in the world other than Richard, I believe MacGill has "positively influenced" far more than 3 or 4 tests in the last 5 years, and yes, if Casson was to have a test career of any significant length averaging in the mid to high 20s I'd say every Australian fan would be pleased. .

Tom Halsey

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Being someone in the world other than Richard, I believe MacGill has "positively influenced" far more than 3 or 4 tests in the last 5 years, and yes, if Casson was to have a test career of any significant length averaging in the mid to high 20s I'd say every Australian fan would be pleased. .
Yes I concur, but there isn't any evidence to suggest that Casson is going to have a decent Test career.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Yes I concur, but there isn't any evidence to suggest that Casson is going to have a decent Test career.
I'm not saying he is, and never did. I simply said that he was a wristspinner, and Richard suggested that he couldn't control it, "like MacGill". The point being, if he can control it like MacGill, he'd be a pretty good bowler.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm not saying he is, and never did. I simply said that he was a wristspinner, and Richard suggested that he couldn't control it, "like MacGill". The point being, if he can control it like MacGill, he'd be a pretty good bowler.
ie he's dribbling again

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matt79 said:
Why? Is it flabbergasting that some decent young spinning prospects should exist in Australian FC cricket?

Whether any of them would be a good test bowler right now is one thing, but its just churlish to refuse to believe there could be good young players out there.
Err, and I don't.
I do, though, doubt very much whether any of them are good prospects - at state level, never mind international.
For the simple reason that fingerspinners are only exceptionally rarely successful in Australia, and that Casson has been playing for quite a while now and has never looked like getting better. Not really surprising, either, because wristspin is incredibly hard to bowl to state standard, never mind Test standard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Err, and the fact that MacGill averaged in the low 20s in his early Test career and the mid 30s later on means nothing to you?
I'd say any bowler would be pretty disappointed with a Test-career like the 2nd part of MacGill's, and absolutely delighted with the 1st part.
However, I doubt anyone bowling as poorly as MacGill is likely to have as much success as he had early on again for a while.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Err, and I don't.
I do, though, doubt very much whether any of them are good prospects - at state level, never mind international.
For the simple reason that fingerspinners are only exceptionally rarely successful in Australia, and that Casson has been playing for quite a while now and has never looked like getting better. Not really surprising, either, because wristspin is incredibly hard to bowl to state standard, never mind Test standard.
My God. You have NEVER SEEN HIM BOWL. You wouldn't have the faintest idea in the world if he had "looked like getting better" or not.