• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dev League Season 8 (Sign Up Here!)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Monday 7th February

CW Red v CW Black
at the CW Oval

Never undestimate the value of an old fashioned counterattack. Mike Wilson reversed a bowlig fightback by CW Red to a position of complete dominance for Black with another incredible hundred. The consideration that some days they go for you and others they don't was readily apparent when Wilson took the charge to the Red bowlers and found fortune in every move he made.

Richards won the toss at the SCG and decided to bat first on a pitch that would favour the bowlers. The decision proved huge as, despite two early losses, Black piled on to a big first innings total. Two performances were central then - Dubb-Lynch unbeaten nearing his second FC hundred and David Kearsley notching another quality half-century.

In reply Red found runs hard to come by against quality pace bowling delivered by Black. Mørk topscored with gritty determination, but no one truly got in and the Blacks shared the wickets well. With a lead of 177, Black batted again and was soon in trouble at 60/5.

The Reds sensed an opportunity to break back into competition, but Wilson then took up the challenge. On his way to his century he received support from Mohammed and captain Richards with solid innings.

Chasing a huge total on a worn pitch, the Reds stood little chance, yet a select few showed the technical competence to achieve the task. Once more Mørk was the best of the few. As cruel fate would have it, Wilson also took the wickets of Maddocks, Dauth and Dobson to further impose himself on the game.

Cricket Web Black 1st Innings 317 all out
Cricket Web Red 1st Innings 140 all out
Cricket Web Black 2nd Innings 298 all out
Cricket Web Red 2nd Innings 196 all out
Cricket Web Black won by 279 runs.

Man of the Match: MW Wilson

CW Green v CW Blue
at the PDV Dome

A courageous chase by Cricket Web Blue came up just short as the Greens continued their streak of good cricket with another win. Set 345 for victory, the Blues slumped to 71/4 before a class maiden hundred by Cribb resurected the chase. Cribb formed partnerships with Jellett, Wilshere, Fuller and Halsey and gave his team definite pride, though ultimately in defeat.

Green was simply the better team in the match. They batted first on the bouncy PDV surface and Nicholas Rose and Craig Walsh played aggressive half-centuries at the top to take the shine off the new ball in a flash. The middle order then collapsed, but Jamee Gray crucially put his hand up with the bat for a big half-century to take Green past 300.

When the Blue openers came out to bat, it was readiy evident that Simon Fitzsimmons was a targetted man. His method of facing the barrage of short-pitched bowling was simple - attack. Fitzsimmons and de Silva put together another good opening parnership, but there was little else after the two were separated.

Tarick Weber spun the minds of the Blue batsmen into playing ridiculous shots of suicide, as he went on to take 5 wickets. The Greens took a lead of 146 into their second innings but didn't find life as easy as they would have suspected. Instead they met purposeful bowling by Blue and were limited to 199 all out, largely due to a solid Sajith contribution.

No one could have predicted how huge Sajith's knock would be, but ultimately it seemingly was the difference for Green.

Cricket Web Green 1st Innings 302 all out
Cricket Web Blue 1st Innings 156 all out
Cricket Web Green 2nd Innings 199 all out
Cricket Web Blue 2nd Innings 333 all out
Cricket Web Green won by 12 runs.

Man of the Match: TV Weber

Attachments

Simon

damn! what can you say, inconsistency is screwing us up. a poor first innings effort with the bat and ball, then we turned it around, its just not good enough guys...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Standings

Code:
[B]**5D**						
The Manuel Ramprakash Challenge Trophy						
Team			P	W	L	D	T	Pts[/B]
Cricket Web Green	8	6	2	0	0	180
Cricket Web Black	8	5	2	1	0	165
Cricket Web Red		8	2	4	2	0	90
Cricket Web Blue	8	1	6	1	0	45

[B]**OD**						
The Chef de Groot Trophy						
Team			P	W	L	Bonus	Pts	NRR[/B]
Cricket Web Green	7	4	3	4	20	0.09
Cricket Web Blue	7	3	4	6	18	0.40
Cricket Web Black	7	4	3	2	18	-0.14
Cricket Web Red		7	3	4	2	14	-0.31

Don

State Vice-Captain
green that was a poor win but a win nontheless.we should ave done better.get to the nets AND WORK WORK WORK WORK

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Well done guys, we held them off, just...

Great opening partnership in the first game, and a brilliant lower order battinng display, particularly by Jamee, got us to 302. solid consideriing batsmen 3-7 contributed just 37 runs. the bowling was as Weber ripped through blue with 5/37 for 20 overs :)

Our batting in the 2nd innings wasnt quite so good, myself and sajith finding a little form before throwing it away. it proved just enough too with an amazing innings from blue, Cribb reminded me of Dravid with his wall like innings facing just over 50 overs himself. Our bowling was solid without being spectacular, the spinners failed to fire in the 2nd innings with Cunningham and Hoy taking 3 each.

Our batting in particular needs work. we need to convert more starts to 50's and more 50's to 100's.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Code:
[B]**5D**						
The Manuel Ramprakash Challenge Trophy						
Team			P	W	L	D	T	Pts[/B]
Cricket Web Green	8	6	2	0	0	180
Cricket Web Black	8	5	2	1	0	165
Cricket Web Red		8	2	4	2	0	90
Cricket Web Blue	8	1	6	1	0	45

[B]**OD**						
The Chef de Groot Trophy						
Team			P	W	L	Bonus	Pts	NRR[/B]
Cricket Web Green	7	4	3	4	20	0.09
Cricket Web Blue	7	3	4	6	18	0.40
Cricket Web Black	7	4	3	2	18	-0.14
Cricket Web Red		7	3	4	2	14	-0.31

Great to be on top. lets keep working to extend our lead on tboth tables.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Broadbent To Undergo Surgery

Chris Broadbent will undergo surgery on his achilles tendon, as he damaged it in a friendly race with Shane Warne at the completion of the CW XI stay in the VB Series. Broadbent is expected to miss 19 matches for Black.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The rookies in general aren't dominating though. The fact that there are so many rookies in the system may give that illusion, but aside from one or two, the rookies have struggled a fair bit themselves, especially in terms of consistency.

RigorMortis

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The rookies in general aren't dominating though. The fact that there are so many rookies in the system may give that illusion, but aside from one or two, the rookies have struggled a fair bit themselves, especially in terms of consistency.
I dunno Liam, I seem to consistently miss out :D

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I seem to have consistantly got starts... lots of 20s and 30s....

Although I think Ive turned the corner with that hundred today.... sheer guts and determination. That Timewell is overrated.... (jk)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Heartbreaking loss, truly. At the end of the partnership between Cribb and I of 105 we only needed 48 more to win. Halsey did everything he could, suriving 80-odd balls and remaining not out, but I threw my wicket away right on getting my 50. If I had stayed in, we would have won the game.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Arghh! Agonising loss Blue, one of those games where everyone seemed to do OK but not great, with the exception perhaps of Mr. Cribb's century. 40.5-9-110-6 for the match for me was reasonable, but if I had stepped up just a little bit more we could've won that match. :(

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Miserable loss, especially after having them by the 'nads...........

But very happy with my individual performance. (28 off 94? That's Hakon's job!)

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
another great win Blacks lets try to dethrone Green from top spots in both cometitions!