• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would this be the greatest test series win of all time if NZ win?

Darkshadows

Cricket Spectator
A Williamson less side beating the greatest home test team of all time who have every won test series at home in the last decade. Has there ever been a more improbable test series win ever?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Sure. Though if India lose, they by default aren't the world's best home side ever.
You can't look past the point where a streak ends to retrospectively downgrade a team's standing over the period preceding that point. Till tomorrow evening or whenever it is that NZ drive the final nail in, India remain the best home side ever despite looking far from it in this series. This will be a huge achievement for NZ.

subshakerz

International Coach
You can't look past the point where a streak ends to retrospectively downgrade a team's standing over the period preceding that point. Till tomorrow evening or whenever it is that NZ drive the final nail in, India remain the best home side ever despite looking far from it in this series. This will be a huge achievement for NZ.
I rate Aus 99 to 2007 better as a home side. Super high win ratio, less losses.

And yes, a team that is unbeaten gets rated higher than one that isn't. Though we shall see, I think India still have a chance.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
I dont think one series loss in 12 or 13 years will make India any less greater as a home side. They are still the greatest home side ever and the India under Kohli still the 3rd greatest test team I have seen in my lifetime.

salty's cope is always funny though.
First off, I count the version of the team. India under Dhoni 2012 to 2014 doesn't count. Its more India 2015/16 onwards. Kohli who built this fortress and Rohit who has kept it going.

And obviously if India lose you have to deduct points form their standing as far as a home side goes. In fact their whole claim was to be unbeatable like the 80s WI and 2000s Aus at home.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
All streaks come to an end and fwiw, this match/series isn't quite over. But if NZ wins, it'll just be the end of an unbelievable streak. 12 years with zero losses at home and all wins is incredible. Up there with the best imo. Is it the best?

Australia went from what 1993 til 2009 without a series loss at home. They white washed every other team at least once (i believe). They did draw two series vs India and NZ though.

WI went 22 years from 1973 to 1995 without a series loss at home. Notably, they only lost one test at home and went 10 years without losing a test at home.

Still much of this match is still left. I won't rule out Ash and co rolling out the last 5 wkts cheaply and then Pant or Virat playing an atg 4th inning knock.

Slifer

International Captain
A Williamson less side beating the greatest home test team of all time who have every won test series at home in the last decade. Has there ever been a more improbable test series win ever?
Yes. Two (maybe 3). When India beat a full strength Aus side a few years ago after being bowled out for 36 and losing most of their main players. And SL blanking RSA in RSA. Bangladesh doing the same to Pakistan is up there as well.

Coronis

International Coach
All streaks come to an end and fwiw, this match/series isn't quite over. But if NZ wins, it'll just be the end of an unbelievable streak. 12 years with zero losses at home and all wins is incredible. Up there with the best imo. Is it the best?

Australia went from what 1993 til 2009 without a series loss at home. They white washed every other team at least once (i believe). They did draw two series vs India and NZ though.

WI went 22 years from 1973 to 1995 without a series loss at home. Notably, they only lost one test at home and went 10 years without losing a test at home.

Still much of this match is still left. I won't rule out Ash and co rolling out the last 5 wkts cheaply and then Pant or Virat playing an atg 4th inning knock.
More like Wash and co

Coronis

International Coach
Yes. Two (maybe 3). When India beat a full strength Aus side a few years ago after being bowled out for 36 and losing most of their main players. And SL blanking RSA in RSA. Bangladesh doing the same to Pakistan is up there as well.
Will also throw out once again the 36-37 Ashes. Australia was 0-2 down, not having won a home Ashes in 12 years and were 6/181 on day one of the third test on a flat pitch. Australia had lost their best player from their last test series, Bradman was seemingly struggling under the burden of captaincy, 133 @ 26.6 in the series with 2 ducks.

Then the rain hit, Bradman reversed the order and the rest is history.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I rate Aus 99 to 2007 better as a home side. Super high win ratio, less losses.

And yes, a team that is unbeaten gets rated higher than one that isn't. Though we shall see, I think India still have a chance.
You mean the streak in which they drew a series vs India with Kumble as not the only sub 30 but sub 40 bowler??

Slifer

International Captain
Will also throw out once again the 36-37 Ashes. Australia was 0-2 down, not having won a home Ashes in 12 years and were 6/181 on day one of the third test on a flat pitch. Australia had lost their best player from their last test series, Bradman was seemingly struggling under the burden of captaincy, 133 @ 26.6 in the series with 2 ducks.

Then the rain hit, Bradman reversed the order and the rest is history.
Oh, I'm using the ones from my time and ones that are more recent.

subshakerz

International Coach

Pakistan went 15 year unbeaten 80 to 95. India 13 years from 87 to 2000. However neither won as many games as Kohlis team.