• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England XI vs India XI (since 1970)

Which test team since 1970 is stronger?

• Total voters

Coronis

International Coach
Thought experiment. Would a combined India / Pak AT XI

Gavaskar
Hanif / Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Miandad
Pant
Imran
Kapil
Ashwin
Wasim
Waqar

beat an England AT XI

Hobbs
Hutton
Sutcliffe
Root
Barrington
Stokes
Botham
Knott
Trueman
Anderson
Laker
Thats an awful England XI.

Johan

First Class Debutant
Yea no doubt England was great back in like the 1930s but they’ve been very underwhelming in the modern era when the standard of the sport is higher
counterpoint, as a nation Cricket since 80s has been the Rich man's game in England and the number 2 sport while in India it's basically a religion, on top English cricket was more or less dead from mid 80s to the 2005 Ashes, after that we've been fine

Thala_0710

U19 Cricketer

Gavaskar
Hanif / Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Miandad
Pant
Imran
Kapil
Ashwin
Wasim
Waqar

beat an England AT XI

Hobbs
Hutton
Sutcliffe
Root
Barrington
Stokes
Botham
Knott
Trueman
Anderson
Laker
Would go for IND Pak. ENG wins on the batting but the gap is bigger in bowling. Also, how is Stokes making an all time ENG xi

Johan

First Class Debutant

Gavaskar
Hanif / Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Miandad
Pant
Imran
Kapil
Ashwin
Wasim
Waqar

beat an England AT XI

Hobbs
Hutton
Sutcliffe
Root
Barrington
Stokes
Botham
Knott
Trueman
Anderson
Laker
Eh, if you've Botham why do you need Stokes? plus that bowling is very light.

Hobbs
Hutton/Sutcliffe
Hammond/Barrington
Hammond/Barrington
Root
Botham

is the way

Johan

First Class Debutant
Brook has proven himself against spin and on batting tracks, and I suspect he will be good against Bounce too but I'm iffy on his swing play, so far in England he has come off as overwhelmingly inferior to Root but still very good, if he wants in he probably needs to work on his game against the moving ball and be more consistent against it.

Johan

First Class Debutant
ngl, I think Indo-Pak fusion will lose, that top 5 in English side is absurd to say the least, 5 ATG bats and 5 (potentially 5) top tier ATGs

capt_Luffy

International Captain
ngl, I think Indo-Pak fusion will lose, that top 5 in English side is absurd to say the least, 5 ATG bats and 3 (potentially 4) top tier ATGs
Indo-Pak also have 4 ATGs and 2 top tier ones in top 5. Hardly will be a deal breaker imho. The bowling of Indo-Pak is significantly better.

Johan

First Class Debutant
Sehwag yes, Gavaskar no for me
Gavaskar was verifiably inconsistent against the swing bowlers (4 bad tours of England, 1 great tour and an epic knock) and struggled with Hadlee quite a bit, I think Gavaskar is a top tier ATG so he doesn't really have a "weakness" (like Ponting/Spin, Root and High/bounce and so forth) but that was definitely the only thing he was vulnerable to.

ma1978

International Debutant
Eh, if you've Botham why do you need Stokes? plus that bowling is very light.

Hobbs
Hutton/Sutcliffe
Hammond/Barrington
Hammond/Barrington
Root
Botham

is the way
I agree. I missed Hammond but then I wouldn’t want the tail to start at 8 so I would have Hammond as the fifth bowler and bat Barrington 6

Thala_0710

U19 Cricketer
Hobbs
Hutton/Gavaskar
Hammond
Tendulkar
Miandad/Root
Botham
Imran
Knott
Ashwin
Wasim
Bumrah/Trueman/Waqar
4-4 each for the combined Xi with 3 close ones. Would probably go Gavaskar, Miandad and Trueman for now. Although Root and Bumrah would make it by the end of their careers I think

capt_Luffy

International Captain
England XI :

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Ranji
Grace*
Root
Knott+
Larwood
Laker
Trueman
Barnes

Grace and Hammond works as 5th and 6th bowlers. Another option is to have Botham for Root and Rhodes for Laker.

Indo-Pak XI:

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Miandad
Pant+
Imran*
Jadeja
Ashwin
Akram
Waqar