• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of India 2024

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India have a tough call for the next game between Gill and Rahul. I genuinely don’t know which one I’d go for atm but I think they’ll give Rahul the series. They haven’t shifted him around the batting order in this latest run of games unlike previous times despite there being opportunities to do so, which to me shows they’re quite set on him having a proper go.

Xix2565

International Regular
India have a tough call for the next game between Gill and Rahul. I genuinely don’t know which one I’d go for atm but I think they’ll give Rahul the series. They haven’t shifted him around the batting order in this latest run of games unlike previous times despite there being opportunities to do so, which to me shows they’re quite set on him having a proper go.
Gill will walk back in, you should be worried for Sarfaraz vs Rahul.

Silver Silva

International Regular
Shubman Gill will slot back in as India didn't have a natural no.3 in the first test also Gill is actually having quite a good calender year,

In 8 tests this year he has scored 662 runs @50.92 with a 3 test hundreds.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Well played NZ. Deserving victory.

Indian team management needs to be bitch slapped for the toss decision though. Deserving loss. One of the most brain dead decisions in cricket history.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
People are massively overplaying the toss call. Both teams said they'd have batted, neither knew there was gonna be that amount of inconsistent bounce and 22+ overs of extreme seam movement.
India's the home side and should've had more access to "insider" knowledge and if not that then they should've at least acknowledged what their eyes couldn't have failed to tell them. IMO they just followed the accepted thinking that batting first implies you're being aggressive/playing to win/making all the plays. Stubborn and overly optimistic of their abilities.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
People are massively overplaying the toss call. Both teams said they'd have batted, neither knew there was gonna be that amount of inconsistent bounce and 22+ overs of extreme seam movement.
That's not the point I made - I'm not critical of the call at the toss. I'm critical of the failure to read what the pitch was doing once they'd made that call, and adjust their approach to put some sort of score up that wasn't 46.

I agree with the above, it was stubborn and wildly over aggressive to bat that way when there was sufficient evidence that it was a tough deck that would do plenty for the first session

Moss

International Captain
It would never happen but for tests 2 and 3 I'd love to see a top 7 of:

Conway
Young
Williamson
Ravindra
Mitchell
Latham (c & wk)
Phillips

Blundell rested as he looks all at sea and completely shot. He is really struggling. Latham's keeping is not much worse on current form.

Latham really struggles against elite pace, but is a gun player of spin. It is huge pressure for a new captain to keep and bat 6, but Young looks better equipped to see off Bumrah
This is a great tactical switch, but too radical an idea for this side.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Tbh I wouldn't go for that - Latham's keeping was not good in recent ODIs either.

It's a fair point that it's rough to leave Young out next test, though you might activate his PTSD by promoting him back to opener too.