• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of India 2024

Xix2565

International Regular
My point moreso, maybe not well made, is that I don't question for a second that we had the better of the conditions. I, however, think a more resilient, backs to the wall Indian side should have made more of the predicament they found themselves in. 46 all out was woeful. 150 was game on and eminently achievable.
Unfair to say when you saw how much seam movement NZ extracted off the deck. I don't see NZ doing much better if things were flipped around and it's not fair to call it inexcusable to collapse vs difficult bowling and conditions. People greatly overestimate how much batters can handle these sorts of situation IMO.

Xix2565

International Regular
But they clearly often do. 46 is an outlier, not the norm. Hence the criticism coming India's way.
That is more on luck than anything inherently problematic with Indian batting. Both teams managed a similar amount of false shots in this game, but one side got 20 wickets and the other didn't. Most of the time teams end up 30-3 before rebuilding when the ball is older.

Xix2565

International Regular
I mean if we want to act like every failure is inexcusable regardless of context then that's understandable if silly. If we want to be serious then it's dumb to say.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Unfair to say when you saw how much seam movement NZ extracted off the deck. I don't see NZ doing much better if things were flipped around and it's not fair to call it inexcusable to collapse vs difficult bowling and conditions. People greatly overestimate how much batters can handle these sorts of situation IMO.
Nah, the dismissals of Rohit, Sarfaraz, Rahul and Jadeja were all pretty dire. Yeah batting was hard, but not 46 all out. Not even 146 all out hard.

Xix2565

International Regular
Nah, the dismissals of Rohit, Sarfaraz, Rahul and Jadeja were all pretty dire. Yeah batting was hard, but not 46 all out. Not even 146 all out hard.
Don't disagree on the bad shots, but disagree entirely on conditions being difficult. 46 is just a matter of luck, not some deficiency on display.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't disagree on the bad shots, but disagree entirely on conditions being difficult. 46 is just a matter of luck, not some deficiency on display.
Batting is inherently high variance and prone to "**** happens" in that way but when so many of the dismissals are that bad it's not all luck.

India have a good batting line up but they batted very poorly.

Xix2565

International Regular
Batting is inherently high variance and prone to "**** happens" in that way but when so many of the dismissals are that bad it's not all luck.

:lol:

That's a good one.
I don't think it's a matter of bad technique though, more like being forced into making poor choices by the bowling. There's no real guarantee that doing a Pujara imitation would've helped in that situation. This doesn't excuse their mistakes though, it's more for understanding why they made them.

But if people want to memeshit then fine by me, it's still a historic beating.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think it's a matter of bad technique though, more like being forced into making poor choices by the bowling. There's no real guarantee that doing a Pujara imitation would've helped in that situation. This doesn't excuse their mistakes though, it's more for understanding why they made them.

But if people want to memeshit then fine by me, it's still a historic beating.
Yeah it wasn't poor technique, it was just poor batting on the day.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Plus India also collapsed to 2nd (and 3rd) new ball in 2nd innings. The problems are glaring. Hope Rohit realises that and doesn't make such mistakes at the toss again.