• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of India 2024

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Surely 46 all-out is the biggest reason though. It was a blunder batting first but even then a half competent side should manage a few more runs. Once you get bowled out for essentially nothing you're working from too far behind.
My take is that collapses happen all the time. Yeah it need not have been as bad as 46 all out but even with that, had we taken our chances, they were all out for 200 and we are looking at a 250 chase which may have been extremely hard work even with the sun out.

And I feel somehow catching is something that is really far less conditions dependent than any other skill in cricket and therefore, should remain most consistent.

Xix2565

International Regular
Surely 46 all-out is the biggest reason though. It was a blunder batting first but even then a half competent side should manage a few more runs. Once you get bowled out for essentially nothing you're working from too far behind.
46 all out was too much of an aberration to blame alone tbh. And even then, there was Sixee Southee and O'Rourke getting a new new ball to talk for this to happen. I don't think it's as big of a reason if other events were different.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully that is a point where Young starts to turn a corner, he did really well out there today.
I hope so - a frustrating player as he does look like he belongs at this level. But between the experiment opening the batting, difficulties with any movement on standard 4th stump line, and the tendency to give away starts... that doesn't leave much in between times.

He's a classy strokeplayer though. Is very orthodox - even his reverse sweep looks textbook. And very calm. There has to be a test batsman in there.

Needs to talk with Matt Henry about graduating from a long-time not-quite guy into a top level player in your early 30s.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
India obviously got the decision wrong at the toss, and ran into probably one of the top 3 spicy pitch bowlers in the world (Henry) and O'Rourke, the type of bowler India never match up on well. But their approach, once they knew it was doing a bit, was poor. I've seen plenty of teams win matches in NZ on green seamers batting first, when they adjust their expectations and look at 150 as a score that can compete. India had no interest in doing that - their captain's shot to get out told that story, as did Pant reverse hooking Henry