• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2024–25 Australian Domestic Season

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really a surprise to see Sarfaraz and Kamindu doing well in test cricket after dominating fc for years

That’s how it should happen IN THE IDEAL WORLD

The best thing about Konstas is that he’s scored a heap of centuries at every level

IF he scores a few more before the squad is announced then I can see the temptation to pick him as the alternatives are hardly Bradman

However, he should be batting further down like Ponting did at the beginning but that’s not what we need

Spark

Global Moderator
Anyway I hope we're ready for this discussion like doublefold next summer or the one after that with Ollie Peake because every indication available so far is that he's even more of the real deal than Konstas and he hasn't even been picked for Victoria yet

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not so much about any one individual player as it is the entire concept of fast-tracking anyone who has played bugger all FC cricket that I simply cannot and will not ever support

EDIT: while we are on the subject of things I hate, here's Marnus sending down some right arm steak and kidney

social

It's not so much about any one individual player as it is the entire concept of fast-tracking anyone who has played bugger all FC cricket that I simply cannot and will not ever support

EDIT: while we are on the subject of things I hate, here's Marnus sending down some right arm steak and kidney
Wtf is Marnus bowling on the first morning of a shield game?

social

Marnus is giving an object demonstration of why he probably shouldn't ever be Aus captain rn. Bowling his mediums before lunch on the first day...?
I know he’s an annoying prick but you can shut him up by making him walk from fine leg to fine leg not bowling

edit: no filter on the site anymore?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean obviously it's funny.

but they have 4 bowlers and one of them is a spinner? imo we can't complain about shield teams over-loading their bowling and then when they pick 4 bowlers, get upset when once the opening spells for the quick bowlers has ended, a part timer or spinner starts bowling as the 'fourth' bowler. with that line-up, there was always a good chance that either Marnus or Swepson would bowl too many overs than anyone would like prior to lunch

TheJediBrah

I think this idea that picking a talented young cricketer who fails at Test level is more likely to damage his career than it is for anyone else is really a thesis in sore need of actual substantiation tbh. Are there actual recent examples of this that meet the standard, of a guy who dominated Shield in his youth, got picked early as a long-term prospect (say before turning 24), and then got dropped and became a nondescript journeyman?

Meanwhile you have examples of guys who got picked "too early", got dropped, but were better for the experience and became top class international batsmen - Smith, Khawaja, Clarke come to mind immediately.
Agree with the sentiment. Minor disagreement that Clarke was picked too early. Yes he was dropped for a year and came back, but he was absolutely good enough when he was selected. Leaving him out of the side and picking Hodge instead for a couple of years wouldn't have helped anyone. And that's hard for me to admit as a Victorian

TheJediBrah

meanwhile NSW seem to have reverted back to their old habit of picking more bowling options than are really needed
Reckon this was a nod to the potential they see in Jack Nisbet. They definitely didn't need to pick him and could have easily gone with Edwards instead.

Edit: PEWS actually reading my mind

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah would agree, strange old world we live in where NSW dropping Jack Edwards genuinely seems to be the wrong call. Wouldn't have been something that would be said 3-4 years back, that's for certain

Spark

Global Moderator
Agree with the sentiment. Minor disagreement that Clarke was picked too early. Yes he was dropped for a year and came back, but he was absolutely good enough when he was selected. Leaving him out of the side and picking Hodge instead for a couple of years wouldn't have helped anyone. And that's hard for me to admit as a Victorian
He was definitely picked mostly on "potential"/eye test though. IIRC he'd only put together one really strong season and was still averaging high 30s/low 40s in an era where a dozen batsmen were averaging 50 in the Shield.