• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

kevinw

State Captain
Saqib Mahmood goes white ball only with Lancashire. I'm not sure anyone thinks he would play Test cricket again anyway but he certainly would have been in the mix, fitness permitting.

FBU

International Debutant
Saqib Mahmood goes white ball only with Lancashire. I'm not sure anyone thinks he would play Test cricket again anyway but he certainly would have been in the mix, fitness permitting.
He originally didn't want to play red ball cricket but Benkeinstein talked him into it. So if he is available he will play cc cricket next year

Third_Man

State 12th Man
He originally didn't want to play red ball cricket but Benkeinstein talked him into it. So if he is available he will play cc cricket next year
Can't see it. Really depends, on scheduling as you say, and fitness. I guess at sometime over the next three years assuming he sees out the contract there may be a championship match scheduled in the middle of the Blast but Lancashire medical team and / or hierarchy, if the latter stays the same, would be more likely to 'manage his workload' to keep him fit for other Blast games. Can't see him suddenly bowling 20 overs in a day in 2027 or even in 2025. Would you play him to get one or two spells of 4 overs in a day? Only if desparate and everyone else injured.

FBU

International Debutant
Can't see it. Really depends, on scheduling as you say, and fitness. I guess at sometime over the next three years assuming he sees out the contract there may be a championship match scheduled in the middle of the Blast but Lancashire medical team and / or hierarchy, if the latter stays the same, would be more likely to 'manage his workload' to keep him fit for other Blast games. Can't see him suddenly bowling 20 overs in a day in 2027 or even in 2025. Would you play him to get one or two spells of 4 overs in a day? Only if desparate and everyone else injured.

If he is getting wickets with the red ball it won't be 4 overs, more like 20 overs in a day. Played 2 matches in 2024 bowled 46 overs. Anderson played 1 match 31 overs.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
If he is getting wickets with the red ball it won't be 4 overs, more like 20 overs in a day. Played 2 matches in 2024 bowled 46 overs. Anderson played 1 match 31 overs.
That sounds like Catch 22. He will only get wickets in the championship if he's playing. He will only play if they / he think a) he can bowl 20 overs in a day without ill effect and b) doing so doesn't hinder his selection in any forthcoming Blast matches which will be his County's priority for him on a white ball contract.

Just weakens the pace bowling attack in the championship:
Overseas, Bailey, Williams, Balderson, Blatherwick (dropped this year), Aspinwall, Stanley (if not put on a white ball contract), Boyden and possibly Sutton (if given a contract). Maybe plus Anderson if no (serious) franchise puts in for him.

Batting is just as weak.

FBU

International Debutant
That sounds like Catch 22. He will only get wickets in the championship if he's playing. He will only play if they / he think a) he can bowl 20 overs in a day without ill effect and b) doing so doesn't hinder his selection in any forthcoming Blast matches which will be his County's priority for him on a white ball contract.

Just weakens the pace bowling attack in the championship:
Overseas, Bailey, Williams, Balderson, Blatherwick (dropped this year), Aspinwall, Stanley (if not put on a white ball contract), Boyden and possibly Sutton (if given a contract). Maybe plus Anderson if no (serious) franchise puts in for him.

Batting is just as weak.
Hopefully Anderson decides to play for Lancs in red/white ball as he needs to prove his white ball skills in The Blast before any franchise will be interested.

I can't see Lancs going straight back up, as you say the batting is weak.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Hopefully Anderson decides to play for Lancs in red/white ball as he needs to prove his white ball skills in The Blast before any franchise will be interested.

I can't see Lancs going straight back up, as you say the batting is weak.
I can for two reasons:
a) the signing of the right overseas would save them
b) Divsion Two isn't strong.

Batting should be: Jennings, Overseas, Bohannon, Jones, Wells, Hurst, Balderson.

Flintoff, even Bell and Singh or Fonseka should struggle to get a game. But there are other options to recruit if they wanted to.

Yeoman

U19 Captain
b. Above is pertinent. Also relegated Kent look weaker than Lancs if anything. 3rd in Div 2 Middlesex are losing players over the winter. Speaking with at least a fair dollop of hindsight, both of this year’s promoted teams had gone through a rebuilding process and seemed ready to make the step up. Not so clear if any D2 county is in the same position this time round.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even if they don't recruit Lancs should be good enough to get out of Division 2, but I get the impression there's a general malaise in the dressing room which they have to resolve before that will happen