• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of India 2024

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This is such a waste of improved batting conditions. Rachin might have to go for broke soon as I don’t have much confidence in this tail lasting long against the spinners.
Nup, we're 6 out all out with the way our lower order looks here.

You're absolutely right, it is a waste, but honestly it feels like 250 v this Indian attack over there is actually not the worst result. The only thing that gets me is the shot Mitchell played to get out, and the one Latham nicked out but was dropped early on. You expect two senior players to try to grind India into the dirt with experience and ability. Especially on a deck like this with FA in it for the seamers

Spark

Global Moderator
That's perfect bowling, and Phillips is going to learn pretty quickly that if you can't read a guy through the air, you're ****ed in India if you try to play it from the surface.
I mean it's easy to say that but it's a lot harder to actually learn to read a guy through the air. Ashwin and Jadeja in particular are probably the most difficult spinners in the world in that respect.

King Kane

International Regular
That's perfect bowling, and Phillips is going to learn pretty quickly that if you can't read a guy through the air, you're ****ed in India if you try to play it from the surface.
Jadeja is a wily old fox, he knows how to bowl that awkward length where batsmen are uncertain whether to go back or forward.

He has outfoxed better test batsmen than Phillips especially on Indian pitches.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I shudder to think what is going to happen with Southee here. Minus the captaincy, I'm surprised he didn't have a massive wipe first ball

Spark

Global Moderator
Someone going to actually pull their finger out and bat for the kid at the other end doing all the ****ing work? Geez.

Moss

International Captain
Just as well NZ have a decent lead (though could be much more), sounds like batting last is going to be a nightmare. Though with rain predicted again over the weekend who knows

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Someone going to actually pull their finger out and bat for the kid at the other end doing all the ****ing work? Geez.
Ajaz and O'Rourke have significantly less talent with the bat than Southee and Henry, but typically last a lot longer at the crease because they don't have the shots necessary to bat like dickheads.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Jadeja is a wily old fox, he knows how to bowl that awkward length where batsmen are uncertain whether to go back or forward.

He has outfoxed better test batsmen than Phillips especially on Indian pitches.
No doubt, it was perfect bowling. But Phillips now knows he has to develop a better game plan, because going back to the majority of balls is not going to work when Jadeja/Kuldeep/Ashwin now know how he's trying to play

Spark

Global Moderator
Ajaz and O'Rourke have significantly less talent with the bat than Southee and Henry, but typically last a lot longer at the crease because they don't have the shots necessary to bat like dickheads.
It genuinely pisses me off and it's a clear sign of a fundamental lack of seriousness in a team's mindset when tailenders feel like they have license to do whatever they damn well please even if there's a set batsman at the other end just because they're not "expected" to be able to bat. They're professionals, these days they're all practiced enough with the bat to have a competent defensive game, they should actually play like professionals.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean it's easy to say that but it's a lot harder to actually learn to read a guy through the air. Ashwin and Jadeja in particular are probably the most difficult spinners in the world in that respect.
100%. But that's the challenge. There's been successful strategies in the past of not being able to read a guy out of the hand - Fleming scored 267* against peak Murali in Sri Lanka, admitting he couldn't pick his doosra at all.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And there's the Southee batting approach we know and hate. Luckily he got away with it this time.