• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I looked at a whole bunch of Pakistan scorecards last night. I'm not sure there's ever been a test in Pakistan with a pitch to justify Pakistan's team balance. Seems Pakistani pitches simply aren't crumbly in the same way India's can be on occasion.

And with this one still being very hard at the end of last test, there was no reason to think it'd turn into a dustbowl.
Yeah, don’t know if you heard but there was some chatter about it on the commentary earlier. The soil not being the same as India and SL so you don’t get the same sort of pitches.

But Pakistan are the home team. You think they’d know best. I guess let’s see what happens when England bat, but right now it doesn’t appear the smartest decision does it?

King Kane

International Debutant
A good partnership from Jamal and Ali to get Pakistan past 350.

Aamer Jamal is an underrated all rounder, hopefully he is fit to bowl as Pakistan won't have a pace bowler without him.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Watched much of the second hour before lunch. Can't say I was impressed with Bashir. There did seem to be SOME help for the spinners but not enough really as the pitch is pretty dead. Perhaps if Aamer is injured we get to see if Pakistan have any dibbly dobblers, or at least some attempts at the effort.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Every team's fans think they're bad at letting the tail off the hook just because it's natural to get offended when a tailender gets 20.

England are middling at it. In the last couple of years, only really India have consistently bundled the tail out.

1729062817286.png

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Every team's fans think they're bad at letting the tail off the hook just because it's natural to get offended when a tailender gets 20.

England are middling at it. In the last couple of years, only really India have consistently bundled the tail out.

View attachment 41971
I presume that is for numbers 8-11? England's are probably slightly better than that given that 104 not out was by Salman Agha in the last Test, who was pushed to 8 by a nightwatchman.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A good partnership from Jamal and Ali to get Pakistan past 350.

Aamer Jamal is an underrated all rounder, hopefully he is fit to bowl as Pakistan won't have a pace bowler without him.
Yeah those sort of partnerships are bloody annoying for the fielding side. Haven't watched any play so far, but I gather Pakistan is still well under par here anyway?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, don’t know if you heard but there was some chatter about it on the commentary earlier. The soil not being the same as India and SL so you don’t get the same sort of pitches.

But Pakistan are the home team. You think they’d know best. I guess let’s see what happens when England bat, but right now it doesn’t appear the smartest decision does it?
I've only been able to watch a tiny portion of the session, so missed it unfortunately.

I wouldn't expect Pakistan to know best because the PCB at the moment is plumbing new depths of being a clownshow.

One thing that surprises me is that, if I haven't got hold of the wrong end of the stick, some countries only use one or two types of soil on their pitches. Seems like it would needlessly reduce variety. However, I have never found a proper study on pitch soil types. Seems it's just not enough of a subject to attract any research effort.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah those sort of partnerships are bloody annoying for the fielding side. Haven't watched any play so far, but I gather Pakistan is still well under par here anyway?
I think their biggest issue is only having one seamer (who is hobbling with the bat). Potts and Carse have found the occasional bit of life in this pitch, whilst there hasn't been a lot for the spinners. It'll probably turn more as the pitch gets older, but you'd fancy England to go after this attack when it's their turn.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well they're not all out yet, and 'don't judge the pitch until both teams have batted', but I don't see why England couldn't get a big score again. There's simply no pace off the pitch for the spinners.

Of course I could be completely wrong.

mackembhoy

International Regular
A third seamer would've been handy on this pitch, not one who can only bowl 5 overs in a day. Did they replace the right player?
Yep I was saying Stokes should replace Pope before this game.

Stokes not being an all-rounder just causes a lack of balance in the side. He was somewhat super human in the Ashes with the bat. But a fully fit bowling stokes would have been a massive shot in the arm, he'd have bungled the wickets we needed at Edgbaston I'm sure.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
The uneven bounce and shooters etc will only get worse as the match progresses but Pakistan's spinners aren't exactly good and they've compromised on reverse swing which has already been present in this match.