• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis vs Ricky Ponting

Who is the greater test batsman?

• Total voters

Coronis

International Coach
Join us in a Mafia game.

There is a distinct chance you may retract that statement after seeing the stuff that I sometimes post... it can be more akin to a collection of letters than words.
Ahhh haven’t played forum mafia in years.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Kalis being massively underrated here. He has slightly superior to Sachinesque averages over a not that much shorter time frame, something Ponting can't hope to touch.

Even acknowledging Punter's superior destructive peak, I can't use that to take this away from Kallis.

Coronis

International Coach
does anyone have Ponting's batting stats against Kallis?
We don’t really have proper stats vs one bowler for anyone (by proper I mean how many runs the batsman actually scored off a particular bowler in any given innings) but I know Kallis dismissed Ponting 6 times. Unfortunately this occurred in 5 tests SA lost, and one they barely clung onto for a draw.

Johan

State 12th Man
We don’t really have proper stats vs one bowler for anyone (by proper I mean how many runs the batsman actually scored off a particular bowler in any given innings) but I know Kallis dismissed Ponting 6 times. Unfortunately this occurred in 5 tests SA lost, and one they barely clung onto for a draw.
is cricmetric accurate for this? really getting the vibe Punter was weaker against Swing/Seam bowling than Jack was for some reason.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
If Ponting really is a fraud that was only ATG against one type of bowling I really have to move a few players above him, but again his peak was absurd.
It was very high scoring, but in an era with hardly any top tier bowlers or bowling friendly pitches; and with several others averaging in the 60s (Dravid, Kallis, Lara, Hayden, Yousuf in parts). Batting for such a strong team and having some quite flat home pitches definitely helped as well. Overall, that peak is definitely top 10, but I don't think top 5 as most people put it.

Bolo.

International Captain
is cricmetric accurate for this? really getting the vibe Punter was weaker against Swing/Seam bowling than Jack was for some reason.
Never heard of it. It looks accurate to me from a quick glance, but they only have this data going back to 2002 or so.