• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best players in certain age ranges

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh and anyway, Walsh beats him by this measure too, in 8 less matches
What was Walsh's average? If it's anywhere near Anderson's then he'd be my pick.

Just seen he had 180 at 21.6. I mean that's very similar to Jimmy, both ahead of Hadlee for me.

Why? Does this mean Root is a top 5 test batsman now? Is Broad a top 5 test bowler too?
No, the only categories you could consider Anderson for are the last 2. But his 177 wickets at 21.39 between 35-39 would put him ahead of Hadlee for me.

By next Xmas, Root may have become a very serious challenger for Sangakkara though. In fact, there's an argument to say he's already ahead (more tons).

Coronis

International Coach
What was Walsh's average? If it's anywhere near Anderson's then he'd be my pick.

Just seen he had 180 at 21.6. I mean that's very similar to Jimmy, both ahead of Hadlee for me.

No, the only categories you could consider Anderson for are the last 2. But his 177 wickets at 21.39 between 35-39 would put him ahead of Hadlee for me.

By next Xmas, Root may have become a very serious challenger for Sangakkara though. In fact, there's an argument to say he's already ahead (more tons).
Again you’re literally just looking at totals and averages at face value, which is a pretty ignorant way to rate a player. Should I say Hayden is better than Viv? He has more runs and more tons at a better average.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Again you’re literally just looking at totals and averages at face value, which is a pretty ignorant way to rate a player. Should I say Hayden is better than Viv? He has more runs and more tons at a better average.
But you apparently didn't give Anderson more than a second's thought despite his numbers.

I'm discounting Hadlee because his numbers are distorted by the weakness of the rest of his bowling attack. Similar happened to Murali and you could argue that Windies bowling had fallen in a hole by the time Walsh was in his late 30's too. Anderson had far more competition for wickets.

You could just say you don't like Anderson and I'd get it.

Qlder

International Debutant
Good list. Also good to see players haven't been selected on longevity as most runs or wkts means nothing if you've played twice as many tests due to modern day scheduling

govinda indian fan

State 12th Man
Officially he played his first FC match at 16 and 1 1/2 months, test debuted one day shy of 18, and played his last international at 36 and 3 1/2 months. I could believe if he's not his offical age, he's only a year or two older. He did claim his birth year was 1973 well into his career before changing it to 1971.

In comparison Aaqib Javed claims to have made his FC debut at 12 years two months and have finished at 31 years 5 months.
Waqar made debut at 18

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Good list. Also good to see players haven't been selected on longevity as most runs or wkts means nothing if you've played twice as many tests due to modern day scheduling
Absolutely makes sense. Thus, maintaining a brilliant average all the way through your late 30's whilst playing so much Test Cricket would surely only highlight how good you were even more, right?

Qlder

International Debutant
Absolutely makes sense. Thus, maintaining a brilliant average all the way through your late 30's whilst playing so much Test Cricket would surely only highlight how good you were even more, right?
Well no it doesn't actually. As an example Ashes tours used to have 15-20+ games vs counties where the Test stars played most of them. However only the 5-6 test matches counts today in stats rather than how much FC cricket they had to play around those Tests (wheras today teams generally play 0 FC games on tour). just a guess but someone playing 100 Tests today has probably played less FC cricket than someone with 50 tests before 1990.

Last edited:

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Well no it doesn't actually. As an example Ashes tours used to have 15-20+ games vs counties where the Test stars played most of them. However only the 5-6 test matches counts today in stats rather than how much FC cricket they had to play around those Tests (wheras today teams generally play 0 FC games on tour). just a guess but someone playing 100 Tests today has probably played less FC cricket than someone with 50 tests before 1990.
That's true, but I'm not sure those 3 day County games were quite as intense as a modern day Test.

Coronis

International Coach
But you apparently didn't give Anderson more than a second's thought despite his numbers.

I'm discounting Hadlee because his numbers are distorted by the weakness of the rest of his bowling attack. Similar happened to Murali and you could argue that Windies bowling had fallen in a hole by the time Walsh was in his late 30's too. Anderson had far more competition for wickets.

You could just say you don't like Anderson and I'd get it.
I did consider him.

And I didn’t choose him.

Get over it.

Coronis

International Coach
In which category did he come close? Not to mention he is a handy batter too.
Batting didn’t have anything to do with it, I thought that was obvious. It was the best batsman, pacer and spinner.

He’s closest in 35-39 (ongoing period) imo. I gave it to Lyon because he has a great record in all 4 countries he’s played in in that period, whilst Ashwin was extremely dominant in India and the West Indies, he was awful in South Africa and quite poor In Bangladesh. Will be possible to change their order, we’ll see what the future brings.

sayon basak

State Vice-Captain
Batting didn’t have anything to do with it, I thought that was obvious. It was the best batsman, pacer and spinner.

He’s closest in 35-39 (ongoing period) imo. I gave it to Lyon because he has a great record in all 4 countries he’s played in in that period, whilst Ashwin was extremely dominant in India and the West Indies, he was awful in South Africa and quite poor In Bangladesh. Will be possible to change their order, we’ll see what the future brings.
Ok, I didn't know that as it says best players in certain age ranges .