• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best players in certain age ranges

Coronis

International Coach
(I’ll exclude Bradman)

Teenager
Tendulkar 1522 @ 44.76 5 tons
Waqar 55 @ 19.49 5 5’fers
Adams 31 @ 25.06 1 5’fer

Harvey, Miandad and Pollock were all options, but combined they played 10 less matches than Tendulkar so I gave them credit for that. Preferred Adams’ record to the output of Vettori. Waqar no brainer.

20-24
Sobers 3000 @ 68.18 11 tons
Botham 153 @ 20.20 14 5’fers
Underwood 67 @ 16.83 6 5’fers

Botham was actually ridiculous its crazy. Underwood and Warne were quite close.

25-29
Smith 4838 @ 72.20 19 tons
Marshall 197 @ 19.67 13 5’fers
Murali 311 @ 20.75 27 5’fers

30-34
Sangakkara 4380 @ 60.00 16 tons
Hadlee 160 @ 18.06 14 5’fers
Murali 262 @ 19.13 24 5’fers

35-39
Kallis 2163 @ 56.92 10 tons
Hadlee 116 @ 21.39 11 5’fers
Lyon 92 @ 21.79 4 5’fers

Lyon just over Warne (again) has actually had a really well balanced quality record recently.

40+
Hobbs 2440 @ 58.09 8 tons
Barnes 49 @ 10.93 7 5’fers
Grimmett 96 @ 21.11 10 5’fers

Obvious ones. Considered Anderson for a second.

Sanga and Kallis had some competition but I’m happy with those.

Last edited:

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
I checked that out but nah. Hadlee averaging 5 wickets a match vs Anderson less than 4. 11 5’fers to 10 and 3 10’fers to 0 in 24 less matches (50 less innings).

Walsh was also a thought but the struggles in Aus/NZ hurt him.
Hadlee didn’t have a bloke taking 600 wickets sharing the new ball with him.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Did it help his WPM and 5fer stats though?
I just find it funny that a bloke with 177 wickets at 21.39 between 35-39 has not made it to the list. I suspect Coronis has some deeper issues with Anderson that has impacted his decision making. He was basically bowling at peak career Bumrah and Cummins during that period.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anyone really believe that Waqar played international cricket as a teenager
Officially he played his first FC match at 16 and 1 1/2 months, test debuted one day shy of 18, and played his last international at 36 and 3 1/2 months. I could believe if he's not his offical age, he's only a year or two older. He did claim his birth year was 1973 well into his career before changing it to 1971.

In comparison Aaqib Javed claims to have made his FC debut at 12 years two months and have finished at 31 years 5 months.

Coronis

International Coach
I just find it funny that a bloke with 177 wickets at 21.39 between 35-39 has not made it to the list. I suspect Coronis has some deeper issues with Anderson that has impacted his decision making. He was basically bowling at peak career Bumrah and Cummins during that period.
It wasn’t about bias or just looking at raw averages/wickets for any of those selections.

I truly tried to be as fair as possible. I looked in depth at the records for those that weren’t obvious locks.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Andersons WPM from 35-39 is only around 3.75.

Peak Cummins and Bumrah are close to 4.5 despite having much tougher home pitches and more competition for wickets.
Bit of a myth that. English pitches seen a lot of runs recently whilst clearly the likes of Broad, Woakes, Wood, Archer, Stokes never take wickets at all.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
It wasn’t about bias or just looking at raw averages/wickets for any of those selections.

I truly tried to be as fair as possible. I looked in depth at the records for those that weren’t obvious locks.
Isn’t the bloke who has taken the most wickets in that age span somewhat more obvious than anyone else?

Coronis

International Coach
Isn’t the bloke who has taken the most wickets in that age span somewhat more obvious than anyone else?
Why? Does this mean Root is a top 5 test batsman now? Is Broad a top 5 test bowler too?

If I was doing that I would’ve called the thread “Players with the most runs and wickets for certain age ranges”