• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara vs Steve Waugh

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

ma1978

International Debutant
Bradman
Tendulkar
Hobbs
Sobers
Hutton
Lara
Richards
Smith
Gavaskar
Hammond
Sutcliffe
Ponting
Kallis
Chappell
Border
Waugh
Barrington
Dravid

Those are the players I could see an argument for as better than Sanga but there’s still 2 spots left for a top 20. Maybe some pre 1970 players like Weekes and Walcott could be added.

I would rate Headley and Root ahead and Barrington just behind so he’s number 20 on my list

ma1978

International Debutant
Sounds more like sour grape.
Sangakkara’s a good batsman. He also never really proved himself in Australia and England. Not in the league of the very top of the modern era - Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Smith. And probably not quite there with Waugh or Dravid. E yes yet another outlandish claim.

Migara

International Coach
Sangakkara’s a good batsman. He also never really proved himself in Australia and England. Not in the league of the very top of the modern era - Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Smith. And probably not quite there with Waugh or Dravid. E yes yet another outlandish claim.
Waugh and Dravid failed spectacularly in Sri Lanka. Wonder why it is not held against them. And Waugh against NZ too. If you could bring up that Sanga was not good against McGrath, i could bring that Waugh was same against Hadlee's NZ too (mainly cleaned up by Bracewell). What ever the standards you use, has to be used on fairly.

ma1978

International Debutant
Waugh and Dravid failed spectacularly in Sri Lanka. Wonder why it is not held against them. And Waugh against NZ too. If you could bring up that Sanga was not good against McGrath, i could bring that Waugh was same against Hadlee's NZ too (mainly cleaned up by Bracewell). What ever the standards you use, has to be used on fairly.
just sample size. Dravid beat up the same Sri Lanka team in similar conditions in India.

BazBall21

International Captain
Waugh only played 5 innings in SL and did well in Asia elsewhere. Don't think that's much of a point against him. The New Zealand tour you're talking about came when he was only 20 and probably not ready. He started very early because of the Australian rebel SAF tour.

Migara

International Coach
Waugh only played 5 innings in SL and did well in Asia elsewhere. Don't think that's much of a point against him. The New Zealand tour you're talking about came when he was only 20 and probably not ready. He started very early because of the Australian rebel SAF tour.
Wow, I am not sure why early Innings of Sanga when he was 21 - 23, just at the beginning of his career is held against him in that case. The amount of double standards is unbelievable.

BazBall21

International Captain
Wow, I am not sure why early Innings of Sanga when he was 21 - 23, just at the beginning of his career is held against him in that case. The amount of double standards is unbelievable.
Who said I do? You can't hit me with guilt by association. If someone is very young in batting terms and not internationally ready but selected due to lack of alternate resources, that is contextually relevant.

Migara

International Coach
Who said I do? You can't hit me with guilt by association. If someone is very young in batting terms and not internationally ready but selected due to lack of alternate resources, that is contextually relevant.
Just like Warne had a 2nd toe injury whenever he went the distance. :laugh: :laugh: