• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs James Anderson

Who is the greater test cricketer?

• Ponting but it’s close

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Ponting and it’s not close

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Anderson but it’s close

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Anderson and it’s not close

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Ponting got 16 motm awards in 168 tests despite huge competition from players in his team, whilst Anderson only got 8 in 188 despite far less competition.

Furthermore, Ponting would've been a guaranteed starter for every other team through 90% of his career, whereas Anderson wouldn't have made the XI for Australia, South Africa, and NZ for a number of years.
Anderson would had still played more matches Ponting playing for any team in the world. As re the first point, Ashwin has 11 mots, more than anyone but Murali, despite having a big competition.

Thala_0710

U19 Debutant
Anderson averaged 22 for 13 years across all conditions. Ponting is ATG nowhere but at home and arguably South Africa.
Those are nice stats but he didn't have particularly many great performances even in that time frame though. One good tour to Aus and a couple of good matches in NZ, SA and IND and that's pretty much it. Also, just base stats don't tell the whole story. Anderson has a series in IND where he avgs a brilliant 15.88. One would think that's an ATG series, rather he only picked 8 wkts in 3 tests. Anderson could bowl useful long dry spells, but he had not nearly the impact of other great bowlers like Steyn, so this should be Ponting. Whether it close or not, might be debatable.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Those are nice stats but he didn't have particularly many great performances even in that time frame though. One good tour to Aus and a couple of good matches in NZ, SA and IND and that's pretty much it. Also, just base stats don't tell the whole story. Anderson has a series in IND where he avgs a brilliant 15.88. One would think that's an ATG series, rather he only picked 8 wkts in 3 tests. Anderson could bowl useful long dry spells, but he had not nearly the impact of other great bowlers like Steyn, so this should be Ponting. Whether it close or not, might be debatable.
Oh, this is Ponting. I don't think Anderson is ahead, but from one home bully to another; a bowler working ass off for 20+ years definitely deserves points. I also think his overall average of 30 in India is too harsh and he is the best foreign pacer here to take atleast 15 wickets except Steyn since 2010s.

BazBall21

International Captain
Anderson's relative lack of destructiveness (especially overseas) is a reasonable caveat and why I myself don't rate him as highly as the average England supporter. Allegations like "poor for two thirds/half his career" and "he was always average away from home" etc are false and likely fulled by the pesky English media giving him an inflated status.

BazBall21

International Captain
Oh, this is Ponting. I don't think Anderson is ahead, but from one home bully to another; a bowler working ass off for 20+ years definitely deserves points. I also think his overall average of 30 in India is too harsh and he is the best foreign pacer here to take atleast 15 wickets except Steyn since 2010s.
Anderson generally very good in Asia after he turned the corner in the 2010-11 ashes.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Southee (who should have been dropped 18 months ago to bring through new talent) was better than Anderson in India. I just REALLY hope he isn't playing on Wednesday.

BazBall21

International Captain
He did well in UAE and Pakistan too

BazBall21

International Captain
Ponting was poor in one country (India) and had an excellent record against all countries. He was the best bat of the 2000s.

Anderson was terrible in Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, okay in India (tough place for seamers) and mediocre to poor in NZ (figures in the latter greatly inflated by a pink ball test and far worse than NZ). He also had an appalling record vs Australia at home, which is why many Aussies saw Broad as far more of a threat.

Add in ATG fielding and Ponting's leadership, this isn't close.
Don't think Anderson was terrible in Australia on the whole despite them being his least suited conditions. Certainly not spearhead material there but he was an able support bowler after the first tour and played a big role in England winning in 2010-11 on some very flat pitches. Had 3 out of 4 good tests in SL after he came good too. He was poor before 2010. Not arguing against Ponting being clearly better though.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Southee (who should have been dropped 18 months ago to bring through new talent) was better than Anderson in India. I just REALLY hope he isn't playing on Wednesday.
Southee was really World Class in India for one innings though. Outside of it, he averages 40.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
Not a very destructive bowler. He was increasingly consistent as his career wore on but he wasn't a strike bowler and he didn't bowl enough to be a stock bowler.
His accuracy and skill is ATG level imo but on flat pitches I think you need a bit more pace/bounce which he lacked compared to other great quicks.

BazBall21

International Captain
Yeah Botham's WPM before he really fell off was genuinely incredible for an all rounder. Probably contributed to a severe decline, not just the other stuff...

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
When wouldn’t Anderson have made the NZ side?
Averages of seam bowlers with 15+ wickets in NZ 2000-present:

Sidebottom 17
Jamieson 17.4
Lee 17.5
McGrath 18.4
Oram 18.8
Bond 19.8
Asif 19.8
Caddick 19.8
Philander 23
Morkel 25
Boult 25