• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs James Anderson

Who is the greater test cricketer?

• Ponting but it’s close

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Ponting and it’s not close

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Anderson but it’s close

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Anderson and it’s not close

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Averages of seam bowlers with 20+ wickets in NZ 2000-present:

Sidebottom 17
Jamieson 17.4
McGrath 18.4
Oram 18.8
Bond 19.8
Philander 23
Morkel 25
Boult 25
Tuffey 25.1
Henry 26
Malinga 27.1
Wagner 27.2
Cairns 27.4
Broad 28
Ishant 28.1
Zaheer 28.3
Anderson 28.4
Non NZers not relevant to the question in hand, the only bowler you’d take from that list over Anderson is Bond. Cool story but of those who are proper contemporaries of Anderson, none of the NZers are keeping Jimmy out of the side. & more to the point you certainly aren’t finding three at any point to.

Coronis

International Coach
Don't think Anderson was terrible in Australia on the whole despite them being his least suited conditions. Certainly not spearhead material there but he was an able support bowler after the first tour and played a big role in England winning in 2010-11 on some very flat pitches. Had 3 out of 4 good tests in SL after he came good too. He was poor before 2010. Not arguing against Ponting being clearly better though.
T H I R T Y F O U R
H
I
R
T
Y
F
O
U
R

Just because most English bowlers have been terrible in Australia doesn’t make him not terrible.

BazBall21

International Captain
T H I R T Y F O U R
H
I
R
T
Y
F
O
U
R

Just because most English bowlers have been terrible in Australia doesn’t make him not terrible.
Played a key role in England winning there in 2010/11 on some very flat pitches and was decent in 2017/18 with no support. Struggled in the tour in between though and wasn't spearhead material in Australian conditions. If compared to ATGs, he was below par, but I disagree that he was terrible.

Last edited:

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
Played a key role in England winning there in 2010/11 on some very flat pitches and was decent in 2017/18 with no support. Struggled in the tour in between though and wasn't spearhead material in Australian conditions. If compared to ATGs, he was below par, but I disagree that he was terrible.
It’s his home ashes record that’s probably a “hole” in his record weirdly.

Groundking

International Debutant
He bowled the 2014 series with a broken rib....

BazBall21

International Captain
I don't think Anderson was terrible in Australia but I think he was below par there considering the comparisons and pedestals etc he's been placed into.

Johan

State 12th Man
Non NZers not relevant to the question in hand, the only bowler you’d take from that list over Anderson is Bond. Cool story but of those who are proper contemporaries of Anderson, none of the NZers are keeping Jimmy out of the side. & more to the point you certainly aren’t finding three at any point to.
Bond over Anderson?

1000008589.gif