• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm worried about runs. Who's our banker in this series? So much rests on Bedingham and Markram.
Massive concern. Markram & Bavuma only ones with test experience in Asia and it's not much. Markram got that 100 in Karachi or Rawalpindi but that's it.

Also not sure our 2nd and 3rd quicks will be a major threat. KG, Maharaj and Piedt have nightmares of previous sub tours.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Keshav is going to be our main threat. I'd like to think he will be the best spinner on show, but yes I am concerned about the pace stocks after Rabada. Ngidi is better than Paterson but really isn't fot enough for subcontinental slog is he? Assuming Piedt plays, I wonder if Muthusamy might be more effective than another pacer if we already have Mulder?

Bahseph

International Debutant
Shukri Conrad has his flaws but I've always loved how he has spoken about the game and backed players with upside.
I agree. I wasn't sold on Stubbs and I still don't think he is a Test number 3 but Conrad gave him massive backing and I think we can already see the confidence in his game across formats. Same for Mulder even if it's been more incremental.

SeamUp

International Coach
Keshav is going to be our main threat. I'd like to think he will be the best spinner on show, but yes I am concerned about the pace stocks after Rabada. Ngidi is better than Paterson but really isn't fot enough for subcontinental slog is he? Assuming Piedt plays, I wonder if Muthusamy might be more effective than another pacer if we already have Mulder?
Kesh and KG can win us this series if our batsmen can put enough runs on the board. Think they both must be hungry and driven to be the main guys.

Re: Sen. I'm not sure. Maybe if there were more RHB he would have more chance of playing?

Bahseph

International Debutant
Kesh and KG can win us this series if our batsmen can put enough runs on the board. Think they both must be hungry and driven to be the main guys.

Re: Sen. I'm not sure. Maybe if there were more RHB he would have more chance of playing?
I agree. Just weighing up whether one of our seamers on Tour could actually be of use. So Breetzke debut then? @StephenZA , you always liked the look of him.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I came across something interesting in Neil Manthorpe's latest newsletter:

Harmer, the most prolific off-spinner in world cricket for the last six years, was unavailable for selection for the two-Test tour of Bangladesh in a couple of weeks.
Unfortunately, it's just that and there's no explanation as to why Harmer was unavailable.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'd dawned on me that we could have a top 7 of:

1. Markram 30
2. de Zorzi 27
3. Stubbs 25
4. Bedingham 30
5. Rickelton 28
6. Verreynne 27
7. Mulder 26

Pretty young right?
And Breetzke 26 & Brevis 21 in the group.

Feels like this batting unit is modern in that they have a few gears being successful in white-ball cricket. Its just about whether they are sound enough to keep the good ones out or get one's from them & have a good tempo to build a test innings consistently enough.