• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Kenneth Viljoen

International Regular
Can't take this seriously, he doesn't even bowl in most of the games at domestic level , he really should be tried out as a 6th bowling option first in white ball cricket and the UAE tour would have been the perfect opportunity to do this but he wasn't picked , he wasn't even picked in the original test squad.

The white ball and red ball coaches need to be on the same page and they also need to communicate what they want for each player to their franchise coaches aswell , you can't just randomly state a player can be a first choice all rounder when you and Rob Walter have made no attempts to groom him for the role.

Dendarii

International Debutant
We've given CSA plenty of flak over the years, which has been justified, but I think they deserve some credit for what they've done with the women's team.

I did have a concern that we had a bit of a golden generation and would struggle after they left, but we've been able to weather the departures of Lee, Van Niekerk, Du Preez, and Ismail. Consecutive T20 World Cup finals is no mean feat.

There still have been issues, like the whole Dane van Niekerk fitness debacle, which I still believe could have been handled differently. But CSA do seem to be getting the majority of things right with the women.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I agree. I think they have also done well to identify players early, although woman cricketers do tend to start at a younger age in internationals.

I really feel like the ethos of selection has changed so much over the last 15 years. T20 has really changed the game and added in more factors for selection considerations. Talented youngsters play a whole bunch of T20 around the world if they are gold enough which might slow their FC progress (eg. Brevis), but you still need to be able to identify that a player could have what it takes at international level.

You also have to factor in allowing players to make money in T20 leagues. We haven't got that 100% right yet(see the NZ tour) , but I think we are finding a balance. It means creating a depth of players especially for bilateral T20 and ODIs.

It's also important to identify between the LO formats. Some players are good at either but not both. See Reeza in T20s vs ODIs or someone like RVDD who IMHO is a better ODI than T20 bat. There are nuances there now which honestly did not exist when our last golden generation were coming through.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Talking of the women's game the full qouta pod cast had a good interview with Enoch nkwe before the semi. They seem to have plans in place. Especially happy with the plans for A tours. They are also looking at how they can get some red ball games: