• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs James Anderson

Who is the greater test cricketer?

• Ponting but it’s close

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Ponting and it’s not close

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Anderson but it’s close

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Anderson and it’s not close

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

BazBall21

International Captain
Anderson equivalent to Mahela? Jayawardene was almost a no show outside the subcontinent. Anderson wasn't outstanding overseas but he was very good away for two thirds of his career (13 years which is a long career itself for a seamer). These narratives are getting OTT now and I'm not even a particularly big Anderson fan.

BazBall21

International Captain
Even roughly equivalent is untrue when Anderson is so far ahead overseas and accounting for bowlers being slightly more valuable than batsmen. I think the English media's relentless fawning and inflated status projection has led to some excessively cynical views on JA round here.

I would rate Anderson above 4 members of the 10k club. Chanderpaul; Younis; Cook; Jayawardene.

Coronis

International Coach
Even roughly equivalent is untrue when Anderson is so far ahead overseas and accounting for bowlers being slightly more valuable than batsmen. I think the English media's relentless fawning and inflated status projection has led to some excessively cynical views on JA round here.

I would rate Anderson above 4 members of the 10k club. Chanderpaul; Younis; Cook; Jayawardene.
Anderson averages 30 away.

Jayawardene averages 40 away.

I’d say both are pretty equivalent.

BazBall21

International Captain
Anderson averages 30 away.

Jayawardene averages 40 away.

I’d say both are pretty equivalent.
13 years is a long career for a seamer and Anderson took 214 wickets @ 26 overseas in that time. Even better in the last 9 years of his career too. Good-very good tours everywhere and was particularly consistent in Asia. Jayawardene was poor-very poor outside the subcontinent throughout his career.

Coronis

International Coach
13 years is a long career for a seamer and Anderson took 214 wickets @ 26 in that time. Good-very good tours everywhere and was particularly consistent in Asia. Jayawardene was very poor outside the subcontinent and never really improved that at any stage of his career.
You can conveniently snip anyone’s career to make them look better, and I’m sick of people doing it for specific players

capt_Luffy

International Captain
You can conveniently snip anyone’s career to make them look better, and I’m sick of people doing it for specific players
Had Anderson has a 13 years career at this rate, I would understand rating Jayawardene his equal. 20 years for a pacer is bonkers longevity.

BazBall21

International Captain
No, I don't do it for specific players. I have argued similar logic when we had a discussion on Rahul Dravid v Ken Barrington. We clearly just fundamentally disagree on how longevity should be conveyed for all players. And 13 years is not conveniently snipping careers because it's a significantly long career length for a seamer and also valid context that Anderson was good-very good overseas for an extremely long period of time while Jayawardene was poor outside the subcontinent throughout his career.