• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

Howe_zat

Audio File
Number of double centuries achieved by the 'Big 4' in tests:

1.Virat Kohli- 7
2.Joe Root & Kane Willamson- 6
3.Steve Smith- 4

... I find this stat somewhat interesting considering that Kohli is ranked last amongst the others when it comes to hitting the most centuries per se.

It does show that when he gets them,he does big on good occasions.

He narrowly missed out on scoring a double century against 7 different nations when he was dismissed against Australia in the 180's not that long ago.
Smith being pretty agreed on to be the most value in Tests goes to show that while records are fun, consistency is the real currency.

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
I'm just wondering now whether this is a record for the lowest amount of wickets lost in chasing a first innings total over 500.

3 wickets lost chasing down a total not that far from 600 ... SMH!

mackembhoy

International Regular
England didn't bowl well in periods but I think criticism needs to be reviewed.

We took 10 wickets on this and Pakistan 3 for the same score. When 4 of the bowlers had never bowled in Pakistan.

Pakistan haven't been trying to take wickets for large periods of this innings, bowling outside the line of leg stump on purpose.

PaulLennon

U19 Cricketer

We took 10 wickets on this and Pakistan 3 for the same score. When 4 of the bowlers had never bowled in Pakistan.

Pakistan haven't been trying to take wickets for large periods of this innings, bowling outside the line of leg stump on purpose.
England bowlers are decent.

I expect Bashir-Leach to run through Pak in 4th innings.

Pak bowling is very weak. Naseem-Shaheen are overhyped.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm just wondering now whether this is a record for the lowest amount of wickets lost in chasing a first innings total over 500.

From memory, India got 500 plus and then Jayasuriya hit 300 and Mahanama hit 200 in that mammoth second wicket stand leading to total score of 952.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is ridiculous. The daft thing is when we lose a wicket Smith will come out and score quicker than this pair.

Ouch, using your shin to stop it isn't ideal.

Howe_zat

Audio File

England's attack is very mid and really lacks Test match acclaim. The first day was about what I expected when we lost the toss and I doubt they'll do much matchwinning as the winter goes on. But I agree you can give them good credit for sticking to task and keeping up the job on a dead surface in the heat.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

As old as time is an overreaction to a team’s batting or bowling before both teams have batted.

The questions about England’s attack are obviously valid, but your point is absolutely correct.

Chubb

International Regular

There was the 2011 Ashes test where England were 500-odd for 1 but that was the third innings IIRC.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Record watch:

Root's career high score is 254, also against Pakistan, in 2016. From the infamous 'why haven't they enforced the follow on' whingeathon where England won by miles after not enforcing the follow on.

The England record partnership is 411, to be especially cheeky.