• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-Time India XIs - A re-run

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Navjot Singh Sidhu
Dattu Phadkar
Axar Patel

If Shastri gets selected then;

Vijay Manjrekar
Kuldeep Yadav

Last edited:

Thala_0710

U19 Cricketer
Shastri bcoz he has a similar level of record to Sidhu/Vijay as an opener but also provides a good quality 5th bowling option as a handy left arm off spinner

Bitmap

State Vice-Captain
NS Sidhu
Dattu Phadkar
Harbhajan Singh

If Shastri gets in then Vijay Manjrekar instead of Phadkar

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Incase anyone wants, they can use "if A gets selected then B" type statement. Like, I don't think many people will like a combination like Shastri - Phadkar - Venky with over bowling options; or Sidhu - Manjrekar - Patel with extra deep batting sacrificing bowling. Can reference to my selection.

Thala_0710

U19 Cricketer
Good to see diverse voting, but interested to know why Axar/Kuldeep are being voted ahead of Harbhajan as spinners in team when they have only picked about 50 wkts each and hardly bowled outside India?

ma1978

International Debutant
Good to see diverse voting, but interested to know why Axar/Kuldeep are being voted ahead of Harbhajan as spinners in team when they have only picked about 50 wkts each and hardly bowled outside India?
fair I'm chenging Venkat to Harbhajan.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Because Prasanna is an offie; and Axar an all-rounder. I am more interested in why Venkat getting voted ahead of Harbhajan with at average of 37, a fraction of his wickets and much worse batting.

ma1978

International Debutant
Because Prasanna is an offie; and Axar an all-rounder. I am more interested in why Venkat getting voted ahead of Harbhajan with at average of 37, a fraction of his wickets and much worse batting.
I changed my vote and the answer is because most posters have living memory of what a wasteman Harbhajan was whereas Venkat is one of the quartet (but very few actually were around when he played) so his reputation precedes his average.

Thala_0710

U19 Cricketer
Ok Axar if you are putting him in as the all rounder, but why kuldeep though? Just for variety or his fifer in AUS?

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Fair enough, but by the above metric surely Jaiswal gets in ahead of Sidhu then?
Jaiswal scored almost all his runs till now at home. Sidhu himself has crazy good home record against better spinners like Warne and Murali.
Re Harbi and Kuldeep, I still rate Harbi higher. But the variety is quite a big boost there.

Thala_0710

U19 Cricketer
Jaiswal scored almost all his runs till now at home. Sidhu himself has crazy good home record against better spinners like Warne and Murali.
Also did well on the WI tour, but surely the quality gap is bigger in Jaiswal vs Sidhu than in Kuldeep vs Bhajji?

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Also did well on the WI tour, but surely the quality gap is bigger in Jaiswal vs Sidhu than in Kuldeep vs Bhajji?
I need Jaiswal to atleast score some runs away before placing him ahead of a batter arguably better at home.
Re quality gap, it's bigger; but variety is also huge boost for Kuldeep. Also, Jaiswal is very young and still not fully developed. Kuldeep is 29 and has plenty of international experience.