• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Yeoman

U19 Captain
I remember Brown being touted as an up and coming thing several years ago. Looked like an up-and-down fast medium to me.
I didn’t see him bowl at the time he burst onto the scene. From descriptions, I imagined him to bowl unorthodox medium pace allsorts. Like yourself, was surprised when I saw him bowl pretty orthodox RFM.

chris.hinton

International Captain
England Lions

Farhan Ahmed (Nottinghamshire)

Zaman Akhtar (Gloucestershire)

Kasey Aldridge (Somerset)

Pat Brown (Derbyshire)

Jafer Chohan (Yorkshire) – part involvement

James Coles (Sussex)

Henry Crocombe (Sussex)

Josh Hull (Leicestershire)

Matt Hurst (Lancashire) – part involvement

Tom Lawes (Surrey)

Freddie McCann (Nottinghamshire)

Ben McKinney (Durham)

Harry Moore (Derbyshire)

Dan Mousley (Warwickshire)

Dillon Pennington (Nottinghamshire)

James Rew (Somerset)

Hamza Shaikh (Warwickshire)

Mitch Stanley (Lancashire)

John Turner (Hampshire)

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Mitch Stanley is a really strange one

He's bowled around 14 overs this year in Blast & 100, bowled 1 over in a recent 2nd xi. Mad selection
They seem infatuated by pace, even if bowlers they choose spend 90% of their career injured. As @kevinw said earlier in the thread:

"Sometimes I swear they pick the most ridiculous curveballs so if they paid off they could celebrate their own genius."

Silver Silva

International Regular
They seem infatuated by pace, even if bowlers they choose spend 90% of their career injured. As @kevinw said earlier in the thread:

"Sometimes I swear they pick the most ridiculous curveballs so if they paid off they could celebrate their own genius."
All of their punts in tests have done well ..
I think England selectors deserve a lot of credit and it's making sure everyone at English domestic level is motivated because anyone can be picked

Molehill

International Captain
I think England selectors deserve a lot of credit and it's making sure everyone at English domestic level is motivated because anyone can be picked
Yep, they're becoming aware that they either need to add 10mph to their speeds or 6 inches to their height!!

Reactions: FBU

Yeoman

U19 Captain
It’s an interesting point. On one level, all young players coming into the county game must now believe that they have much more of an immediate chance of recognition than hitherto. At the other end of the scale, message board favourites like Hain, Cook and Dawson must be increasingly aware that their basic attributes are out of favour and however many runs they score or wickets they take they will not be called on.

mackembhoy

International Regular
England Lions

Farhan Ahmed (Nottinghamshire)

Zaman Akhtar (Gloucestershire)

Kasey Aldridge (Somerset)

Pat Brown (Derbyshire)

Jafer Chohan (Yorkshire) – part involvement

James Coles (Sussex)

Henry Crocombe (Sussex)

Josh Hull (Leicestershire)

Matt Hurst (Lancashire) – part involvement

Tom Lawes (Surrey)

Freddie McCann (Nottinghamshire)

Ben McKinney (Durham)

Harry Moore (Derbyshire)

Dan Mousley (Warwickshire)

Dillon Pennington (Nottinghamshire)

James Rew (Somerset)

Hamza Shaikh (Warwickshire)

Mitch Stanley (Lancashire)

John Turner (Hampshire)
There's only one opening bat in that side and a lot more seamers than can fit into an XI. Most of the bowlers are 10s at best too.

If I was picking I'd probably go for this side for the four day.

McKinney
McCann
Shaikh
Rew
Coles
Hurst
Aldridge
Lawes
Pennington
Ahmed
Turner

Mousley replaces Hurst if off to BBL by then, then you probably don't need Ahmed. So Hull in for him.

Last edited:

Third_Man

State 12th Man
There's only one opening bat in that side and a lot more seamers than can fit into an XI. Most of the bowlers are 10s at best too.

If I was picking I'd probably go for this side for the four day.

McKinney
McCann
Shaikh
Rew
Coles
Hurst
Aldridge
Lawes
Pennington
Ahmed
Turner

Mousley replaces Hurst if off to BBL by then, then you probably don't need Ahmed. So Hull in for him.
The squad wil have been picked to look at different pace white ball options as it's basically a development camp with a four day game thrown in at the end.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Tom Hartley?

First one maybe two games in India excepted. After that? Where is he now? Abandoned in all formats.

ODI: 0/48 in two matches
IT20: carried the drinks in the Caribbean

all of which led to a ruined domestic season in 2024 eventually dropped by Lancs.

Last edited:

Silver Silva

International Regular
Tom Hartley?

First one maybe two games in India excepted. After that? Where is he now? Abandoned in all formats.

ODI: 0/48 in two matches
IT20: carried the drinks in the Caribbean

all of which led to a ruined domestic season in 2024 eventually dropped by Lancs.
Well better spinners than Hartley have been smashed far worse by Indian batters in India , he exceeded expectations and also showed some promise with the bat ..

In ODI cricket he only bowled once, 48 runs in 10 overs is excellent for a bowler

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Well better spinners than Hartley have been smashed far worse by Indian batters in India , he exceeded expectations and also showed some promise with the bat ..

In ODI cricket he only bowled once, 48 runs in 10 overs is excellent for a bowler
Exceeded whose expectations - the selectors? 13 wickets at 46 in the last three Tests. The ODIs were against Ireland in 2023, excellent as his single set of figures might be (can't remember the conditions) he hasn't been selected for the following 17 ODIs. That can't be a succesful selection.

Silver Silva

International Regular
Exceeded whose expectations - the selectors? 13 wickets at 46 in the last three Tests. The ODIs were against Ireland in 2023, excellent as his single set of figures might be (can't remember the conditions) he hasn't been selected for the following 17 ODIs. That can't be a succesful selection.
Selectors have their reasons why they haven't picked him ..I mean Rehan Ahmed wasn't better than Hartley in India yet he's made the Pakistan squad, Wood averaged 77 in India but had he been fit he would have made the Pakistan squad. The less said about Woakes record overseas the better whose still getting picked for overseas tests , I thought Hartley did well against world class bats I mean he was the best bowler in the only match England won on that tour..

For ODI's its just silly to not give a player a proper chance when he did well , same with Sam Hain who has a 50+ odi average but isn't in England's plans.

govinda indian fan

U19 Cricketer
Selectors have their reasons why they haven't picked him ..I mean Rehan Ahmed wasn't better than Hartley in India yet he's made the Pakistan squad, Wood averaged 77 in India but had he been fit he would have made the Pakistan squad. The less said about Woakes record overseas the better whose still getting picked for overseas tests , I thought Hartley did well against world class bats I mean he was the best bowler in the only match England won on that tour..

For ODI's its just silly to not give a player a proper chance when he did well , same with Sam Hain who has a 50+ odi average but isn't in England's plans.
Baz ball thrives and selects on vibe buddy. if you go by bazball criteria players like dravid pujara and younis khan would never play for their nations

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing that I really don’t understand about ignoring Hartley is that apparently the selection of Bashir is with one eye on the Ashes

Have a look at the record of foreign offies in Australia

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The thing that I really don’t understand about ignoring Hartley is that apparently the selection of Bashir is with one eye on the Ashes

Have a look at the record of foreign offies in Australia
TBF, bashir's a tall offie who get's a decent amount of overspin, kind of like lyon, no?