• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

mackembhoy

International Regular
Can Jamie Overton actually bowl yet?
Nope just T20 cricket is sorely lacking in people that can play the finisher role now.

Most batsman end up batting top 3 even if they were previously a 5/6.

Best of a bad bunch is probably the logic there. I can't see how he'll play in the ODI's.

ODI side showed against the Aussies they needed someone to counter balance all the hitters they had.

Hain needs to be in the side if Root isn't and like to seem them at 3/4 anyway. As I think both are better than the alternatives.

Root not being in the squad screams (if we actually intend to pick him again for the Champions Trophy) he's going to go in undercooked like he did the World Cup.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Mitch Stanley (Lancashire):
1 x Metro Bank Cup, 4 x Vitality Blast, 3x SET20, 1xSEC 9 games.
In terms of overs, 10 in SET20, 8 in the Blast, 5 in The Metro Bank, 1 in the SEC = 24 overs in an entire season. Only twice in two of the SET20 matches did he manage his full entitlement of 4 overs.
Signed on a one year contract last year, seen as a bit of a punt due to injuries and lack of cricket at his previous county Worcestershire. Now no doubt claimed as a success due to Lions tour. Expect him to be on a three year deal soon. Might then make 50 appearances for Lancs.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have agreed about JOverton MkI but the MkII version since his move to Surrey is a definite upgrade.
Look I don't want to get to in the weeds here, but his bowling is about the same, woulld be useful but is consistently injured, so Somerset went for a more consistent line-up that got on the field, the injuries certainly have come back, his batting has improved, but ffs if he's the best finisher England cricket have, then we are in trouble.

Oh and to be even more parochial, Leis Gregory is as badly treated as Sam Hain by selectors TBH.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Look I don't want to get to in the weeds here, but his bowling is about the same, woulld be useful but is consistently injured, so Somerset went for a more consistent line-up that got on the field, the injuries certainly have come back, his batting has improved, but ffs if he's the best finisher England cricket have, then we are in trouble.

Oh and to be even more parochial, Leis Gregory is as badly treated as Sam Hain by selectors TBH.
Yes was fantastic in that COVID impacted Pakistan white ball series. Then just completely discarded.

He's a better all round option than Livingstone for me. They just want as many sloggers as they can fit in a side now.

grecian

Yes was fantastic in that COVID impacted Pakistan white ball series. Then just completely discarded.

He's a better all round option than Livingstone for me. They just want as many sloggers as they can fit in a side now.
I guess he's also not considered quick enough, hence why laughably Carse and Jove get in front of him.

TBH, now they're both the wrong side of 30 I have giving up hope on both him and Hain being properly recognized, but hey deserves an occasional whine.

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
Agree it's bonkers to pick JOverton as a batsman, but I don't agree about his bowling. He's been way better since he moved to Surrey and cut down his run up.

grecian

Agree it's bonkers to pick JOverton as a batsman, but I don't agree about his bowling. He's been way better since he moved to Surrey and cut down his run up.
I dunno in County Cricket in the 4 years he's been there he averages 34 with the ball, from 27 matches, doesn't play List A, and averages 38.76 at 8.84 in t20. Seems a lot worse than his career average. He does smack the ball more though.

FBU

International Debutant
Mitch Stanley (Lancashire):
1 x Metro Bank Cup, 4 x Vitality Blast, 3x SET20, 1xSEC 9 games.
In terms of overs, 10 in SET20, 8 in the Blast, 5 in The Metro Bank, 1 in the SEC = 24 overs in an entire season. Only twice in two of the SET20 matches did he manage his full entitlement of 4 overs.
Signed on a one year contract last year, seen as a bit of a punt due to injuries and lack of cricket at his previous county Worcestershire. Now no doubt claimed as a success due to Lions tour. Expect him to be on a three year deal soon. Might then make 50 appearances for Lancs.
Couldn't agree more about Stanley. Never played a first class game and was at Worcs for 4 years. How he replaced Worrall in the Hundred I will never know, Also Pat Brown. 14 f/c matches 15 wickets at 56.53

I am hoping the 4 bowlers are playing against SA A team are

Lawes
Pennington
Hull
Turner

Last edited:

kevinw

International 12th Man
I remember Brown being touted as an up and coming thing several years ago. Looked like an up-and-down fast medium to me.
He had a good season a few years back, might have been top wicket taker in the Blast. Had a superb slower ball that was hard to pick up and would bowl at the death so his ER was still high as you'd expect. He played a few T20Is without much success. Surprised he's back in the England reckoning tbh but then I have literally never heard of Mitch Stanley. Sometimes I swear they pick the most ridiculous curveballs so if they paid off they could celebrate their own genius.