• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

FBU

International Debutant
@willis_macp

Expect Sky to complete a late deal to broadcast England’s tour of Pakistan, and send a team to cover it. The rights for next year’s Ashes also available - be interesting to see if TNT retain Australia’s home internationals

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
@willis_macp

Expect Sky to complete a late deal to broadcast England’s tour of Pakistan, and send a team to cover it. The rights for next year’s Ashes also available - be interesting to see if TNT retain Australia’s home internationals
I'm not sure Sky will, they've got the Women's World Cup for whom half the matches would clash with it.

I would be surprised if Sky want for that much more. Their big expenditure is on EPL, it is a disproportionate amount of what they dish out for sports coverage.
The Ashes in Aus is not exactly a big winner here. We generally get thrashed and it's on in the middle of the night.

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Emilio Gay of Northants/Durham
Keith Barker, though he didn’t play much last season. Tymal Mills if you count T20. Phil Salt is busy enough being the first Welsh born England player since 2007.

On the wider question, I have always been content with qualification through birth, parents’ birthplace or residence from a young age (under 16?) and not having previously played a full international for another country. That covers almost all of those who have played for England. Grandparentage is stretching it in my view.

Those I feel most ambiguous about are the likes of Tom Curran who come to England to finish their education (A levels usually), often as some form of sports scholarship is attached.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Gutted by this. As TNT Sports/Discovery + are living in 2024 whereas Sky are in the dark ages.

By that I mean TNT sports allows you to watch as live via any means, so you don't need to wake up at 5am and watch the entire days play.

Sky force you to take their recordable functionality to do this and Sky go is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

As all the good Sky guys will be in a studio in London I honestly don't care if they don't get away tours now.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Keith Barker, though he didn’t play much last season. Tymal Mills if you count T20. Phil Salt is busy enough being the first Welsh born England player since 2007.

On the wider question, I have always been content with qualification through birth, parents’ birthplace or residence from a young age (under 16?) and not having previously played a full international for another country. That covers almost all of those who have played for England. Grandparentage is stretching it in my view.

Those I feel most ambiguous about are the likes of Tom Curran who come to England to finish their education (A levels usually), often as some form of sports scholarship is attached.
The Curran's are an utterly ambiguous family. Tom born in SA, Sam in Northants when Kevin played there and Kevin was born in Zimbabwe and played for them. Surely Tom must have spent some part of his youth in England too? And apparently the other brother Ben wants to play for Zim. Figure that all out!

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Weren’t the Poms just in Pakistan a year or two ago?
Yep two years ago. They then go to NZ when they played there in March 2023. It is apparently because of the WTC that this is happening but it makes no sense that they haven't gone to Bangladesh since 2016 or SA in nearly 5 years for two. Both would be more intriguing opponents for me.

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Yep two years ago. They then go to NZ when they played there in March 2023. It is apparently because of the WTC that this is happening but it makes no sense that they haven't gone to Bangladesh since 2016 or SA in nearly 5 years for two. Both would be more intriguing opponents for me.
Does anyone know, to what extent is the WTC truly random? India of course do not play Pakistan however is it just fortunate coincidence that England, Australia and India have always been drawn to play each other within the confines of the WTC on their usual, four year, alternating home and away pattern?

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Gutted by this. As TNT Sports/Discovery + are living in 2024 whereas Sky are in the dark ages.

By that I mean TNT sports allows you to watch as live via any means, so you don't need to wake up at 5am and watch the entire days play.

Sky force you to take their recordable functionality to do this and Sky go is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

As all the good Sky guys will be in a studio in London I honestly don't care if they don't get away tours now.

Quite pleased by this personally, means I don’t have to re-sign up to TNT for a while, which I haven’t done so far due to the Champs League being such a ****ed up format.

Does the updated Sky Sports+ app allow watch at any time?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anyone know, to what extent is the WTC truly random? India of course do not play Pakistan however is it just fortunate coincidence that England, Australia and India have always been drawn to play each other within the confines of the WTC on their usual, four year, alternating home and away pattern?
WTC has been designed around the Ashes and Border-Gavaskar trophy, not the other way round.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The Pig 3 always had a deal with each other, where they play each other every 2 years. WTC is not some new schedule that is being setup. It is an extension of the FTP which always had the Pig 3 commitment baked in. It just adds a final and contextualizes the cycles so that each team plays 6 series over 2 years.

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Thanks both. If the WTC schedule is ‘managed’ in this way it then seems even more odd that England are going to both Pakistan and New Zealand only two years after their last visits. Even if commerce was a deciding factor, due to time zones a South Africa series would be more attractive to U.K. broadcasters than a New Zealand one, for example.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Thanks both. If the WTC schedule is ‘managed’ in this way it then seems even more odd that England are going to both Pakistan and New Zealand only two years after their last visits. Even if commerce was a deciding factor, due to time zones a South Africa series would be more attractive to U.K. broadcasters than a New Zealand one, for example.
It is similar to how India toured SA in 2 back to back cycles. 2021 and 2023-24
But India haven't toured SL since 2017 for test cricket.