• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is bigger - The Ashes or BGT?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes i respect australian fan view . Its their choice to choose but from only cricket point of view BGT has surpass ashes .
As Burgey pointed out, BGT has only recently become remotely interesting. The history of the Ashes carries far more prestige, intrigue and passion than BGT can ever hope to achieve.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's also history and prestige with regard to Australia v England sports in general, not just cricket. The Olympics is often a close-fought affair, Aussies winning Wimbledon, rugby, probably a bunch of other stuff too. Not to mention that they sent us to this beautiful land as convicts and now we and our country are superior in every way. It's interesting history

Whereas the billion+ population of India has had to focus on playing 1 sport in order to become even remotely competitive at it

Coronis

International Coach
There's also history and prestige with regard to Australia v England sports in general, not just cricket. The Olympics is often a close-fought affair, Aussies winning Wimbledon, rugby, probably a bunch of other stuff too. Not to mention that they sent us to this beautiful land as convicts and now we and our country are superior in every way. It's interesting history

Whereas the billion+ population of India has had to focus on playing 1 sport in order to become even remotely competitive at it
Is it a coincidence that India’s final Gold medal in field hockey happened a few years before their first World Cup? I think not.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The Ashes has been interesting since 1882, in that Australia has consistently dominated it with an occasional English interlude of decency.
Hmmm (checks notes).......

Australian Ashes series wins 34
England Ashes series wins 32

#oooooohsodominant

Burgey

Aus has also reatined six times via drawn series, England only once. It's comprehensive. Realistically, Aus holds the Ashes about 2/3s to 3/4s of the time and England chimes in with a false dawn in between. Its those false dawns which make them so happy being mediocre for the rest of the time.

Just a low brow outfit.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Aus has also reatined six times via drawn series, England only once. It's comprehensive. Realistically, Aus holds the Ashes about 2/3s to 3/4s of the time and England chimes in with a false dawn in between. Its those false dawns which make them so happy being mediocre for the rest of the time.

Just a low brow outfit.
So when we retain The Ashes we do it by winning. Got it

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, Burgey craps on about Aussie dominance in the Ashes and then has to resort to the drawn series count in order to tip the scales. Classic.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
And the only reason Australia have spent significantly longer as the Ashes holders is probably more to do with the fact its 18 months between the series in Eng and Australia but 30 months between the Aus one and in Eng.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And the only reason Australia have spent significantly longer as the Ashes holders is probably more to do with the fact its 18 months between the series in Eng and Australia but 30 months between the Aus one and in Eng.
That’s only a recent thing in fairness. We’ve established now, thanks to Burgey, that the only reason they’ve held it longer is through draws. The all conquering winning mentality nation, taking draws as wins. What an embarrassment

Qlder

International Debutant
That’s only a recent thing in fairness. We’ve established now, thanks to Burgey, that the only reason they’ve held it longer is through draws. The all conquering winning mentality nation, taking draws as wins. What an embarrassment
Well Australia have won 152 Ashes Tests compared to England's 112, so there is that for having a winning mentality

Burgey

So when we retain The Ashes we do it by winning. Got it
You just don't do it often enough. Like I said, you occasionally fluke it then revert to mediocrity. Australians have a comfortable margin and lead England easily in Ashes history, and of course even moreso as human beings.

Burgey

Nah it's got more to do with the fact that Enlgand teams are generally shittier.

Qlder

International Debutant
I just realised England have won only one Ashes series in Australia since 1986/87. The 2010/11 series really was an anomaly in the last 38 years wasn't it lol

Last edited:

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
I just realised England have won only one Ashes series in Australia since 1986/87. The 2010/11 series really was an anomaly in the last 38 years wasn't it lol
Better to have that anomaly that not at all......which is where Aus is heading for series wins in England. 26 years by the next Ashes when they will clearly have no chance.

Burgey

As if there's such a thing as an Ashes dead rubber. smdh wtf is wrong with people thinking that?

It's that mentality which leads to the sort of mediocrity which England has always displayed.

The same weak mentality which has people saying "Oh well, you've got to hand england this" or "Well done England, have to give them credit."

Bullshit.

You give the filth nothing. Do you hear me?

Nothing.

N O T H I NG
O
T
H
I
N
G

Nada.