• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Congratulations SL! Given that international cricket is increasingly becoming a circle jerk among 3 countries, really happy about the strides made by the team (aside from the fact that this came against NZ, but really can’t complain about the results). The batting is the most capable its been in a while, and the bowling’s in a place where taking 20 wickets should be the norm anywhere. Here’s hoping the SA tour goes well and a WTC final spot beckons.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Tried to completely forget about what happened yesterday but somehow ended up here today. It's like the devil sitting your shoulder.

Silver Silva

International Regular
A SL & NZ combined XI for the series ?

Tried to fit in Ravindra ..

1.Dimuth Karunaratne
2.Dinesh Chandimal
3.Rachin Ravindra
4.Angelo Mathews
5.Kamindu Mendis
6.Dhananjaya De Silva (C)
7.Kusal Mendis(WK)
8.Glenn Phillips
9.Prabath Jayasuriya
10.Ajaz Patel
11.Will O'Rourke

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
As well as Stead - these are our other coaches:

Bowling coach - Jacob Oram - good player but test bowling??

Batting coach - Luke Ronchi (a keeper). Batting has been terrible.

Fielding coach - James Foster (another keeper) - fielding has been abysmal

Meanwhile despite 2 keepers among the coaches (and 3 more - Conway, Latham, and Phillips in the XI), Blundell's kept poorly

At least Herath was a brilliant guy to work with the spinners

King Kane

International Debutant
Thank god that test series is over.

Not many positives to take out of it apart from O'Rourke taking a 5'fer and Ravindra almost scoring a ton in the first test, both are good prospects.

Meanwhile despite 2 keepers among the coaches (and 3 more - Conway, Latham, and Phillips in the XI), Blundell's kept poorly

Surprising that Ronchi is the batting coach, he was a decent limited overs batsman but not the sort of guy you want handing out advice to test batsmen

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thrilled for SL. This, combined with the ODI series win against a nearly full strength India, hopefully means SL cricket is on the up again. I wonder what it feels like to win a home s̶e̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ test.
They did well in England too. Weren't far off from nicking the series.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Thank god that test series is over.

Not many positives to take out of it apart from O'Rourke taking a 5'fer and Ravindra almost scoring a ton in the first test, both are good prospects.

Surprising that Ronchi is the batting coach, he was a decent limited overs batsman but not the sort of guy you want handing out advice to test batsmen
Phillips's all-round performances were impressive too although frustrating he couldn't bring up a maiden century. The first test was relatively close, but for the Mitchell run-out who knows how it might have turned out.

thundaboult

International Debutant

i doubt these guys do anything but throw balls and set up wickets, safety pylons and neccessary cleanup at the end

the last time i think we had good bowling batting coaching was the mchesson era with bond and mcmillan (surprisingly ok batting coach)

allan donald before bond was also good with the bowling ...

it seems when we got the guys who were actually successful at int level themselves, turned out to know what they were doing and helped us (lol durrr)

most of our coaching (along with stead) are mere passengers the last 5 years or even longer, carried by the high level player talent we have had coming through

i do have some hope from oram though, and also on a positive our fitness coach chris donaldson has been fantastic ever since he joined (viola, another guy who was really successful at what he did on a intl level...he repped nz in the olympics as a sprinter)

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
Pretty good series for us, but consistent failing of Nissanka is bit of an issue. He is expected to be the other next big thing with Kamindu. There are issues with other two Mendis'. Although scored a hundred, Kusal Mendis doesn't look as a part of this XI. Sadeera Samarawickrama is a better keeper and pretty talented with the bat. I am not sold on Nishan Peiris. He is very tight, and that might work with non-SC sides. With SC sides, batsmen will milk him for singles. Ramesh Mendis bowls a ridiculously high number of potential wicket taking balls. He should be the second spinner in SL.

Migara

International Coach
And we need to play away from Galle to get our fast bowlers in to play. Asitha, Vishwa, Kumara, Milan and Rajitha are all fit.

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member

I don't think the bowling was a problem, just the selection of bowlers. That feels like something not in the purview of the bowling coach but I could be wrong.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Thrilled for SL. This, combined with the ODI series win against a nearly full strength India, hopefully means SL cricket is on the up again. I wonder what it feels like to win a home s̶e̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ test.
They have depth as well. Their A team just smashed South Africa in South Africa and recent series win against India was very impressive as well. Great to see.