• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

govinda indian fan

State 12th Man
Not listed yet and on here

TNT Sports have a lot of red and white ball series coming up involving England ,Pakistan etc

no mention if they are going to show the test series in Pakistan though
If am not wrong tnt also have rights of Australia and india home series

mackembhoy

International Regular
Can we take John Turner instead
Considering he's been selected for multiple series now and still can't get a game.I'd not blame him.

I honestly don't agree with it anyway.

If your from x country then play for that country. If your parental connection to another country is very strong it's a fair enough decision to not.

Keaton Jennings mother is from Sunderland I believe and he came here as a teenager. Jonathan Trott just lived in England for a number of years.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
As was discussed before, it is nothing like 2 years ago when you had Anderson and Robinson doing a fine job with the ball and Wood having a good impact when he played. None of those are present this tour. I'm not quite so down on some of the choices but it will be a hard job for them in Pakistan given their lack of experience.
Could it be similar to the West Indies tour four years ago when they thought they could do without Anderson and rely on C Overton, Woakes, Mahmood and Fisher?

Considering he's been selected for multiple series now and still can't get a game.I'd not blame him.

I honestly don't agree with it anyway.

If your from x country then play for that country. If your parental connection to another country is very strong it's a fair enough decision to not.

Keaton Jennings mother is from Sunderland I believe and he came here as a teenager. Jonathan Trott just lived in England for a number of years.
Think Turner’s parents are British? Trott’s grandad was from London, which would be enough for most countries in football (but not, I believe, the Home Nations!) not sure about Carse. Questions of identity are complicated and personal, so I’m not going to criticise anyone for choosing to play for whatever country, especially when you factor in financial decisions. Qualifying on residency, especially from poorer Test nations to richer ones, and from Test nations to Associate nations, is very common, but you don’t see many players qualify on ancestry, is that even a thing? Would be interesting to see Ireland bolstered with some more Tim Murtaghs or even the Windies now that they have declined, although that ship looks to have sailed now that British Caribbean participation in cricket has fallen off a cliff

Also, what about people who move to England when they are young? Prior moved when he was 11, Sam Curran when he was 14 and Tom Curran when he was 17, when should it be ‘acceptable’ to play for your adopted country?

Actually, on that note, South Africa/Zimbabwe, you are welcome to the Currans…

mackembhoy

International Regular
Think Turner’s parents are British? Trott’s grandad was from London, which would be enough for most countries in football (but not, I believe, the Home Nations!) not sure about Carse. Questions of identity are complicated and personal, so I’m not going to criticise anyone for choosing to play for whatever country, especially when you factor in financial decisions. Qualifying on residency, especially from poorer Test nations to richer ones, and from Test nations to Associate nations, is very common, but you don’t see many players qualify on ancestry, is that even a thing? Would be interesting to see Ireland bolstered with some more Tim Murtaghs or even the Windies now that they have declined, although that ship looks to have sailed now that British Caribbean participation in cricket has fallen off a cliff
Turners grandparents are/were British that's the link. Which I think they've now cancelled that route in football. In rugby it's just play in the UK for 3 years. So a large chunk of Scotland side is about as Scottish as Mel Gibson portrayal of William Wallace.

I'm as far away from a flag shagger as possible. But let's be honest, it's down to earning potential in a lot of cases which is a fair enough thing for them to do.

I'd have liked SA, WI and Zimbabwe to have the best possible sides over the years.

Even if you go away from qualifying for England some of these sides have lost out to players on Kolpak deals. Kyle Abbott and Simon Harmer should have played boat loads of cricket but earning potential couple with politics has meant Essex/Hampshire got their peak years.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Also, what about people who move to England when they are young? Prior moved when he was 11, Sam Curran when he was 14 and Tom Curran when he was 17, when should it be ‘acceptable’ to play for your adopted country?

Actually, on that note, South Africa/Zimbabwe, you are welcome to the Currans…
Simple: do they still have a Saffie accent when they're ready to play for England? I don't remember Prior having much of one. The Currans could've just flown in from Cape Town.

Simple: do they still have a Saffie accent when they're ready to play for England? I don't remember Prior having much of one. The Currans could've just flown in from Cape Town.
On that basis, Amadou (not Andre!) Onana gets into the England team! :laugh:
Jason Roy and Jade Dernbach (another one they’re welcome to!) also have mixed accents despite coming over when they were young

Third_Man

State 12th Man
so it's ok if they left the plane to go to a nice public school and learn to speak Englash properly?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I’m not really a fan of eligibility debates. Obviously some cases may seem on the nose. But people feel all sorts of different ways about nationality. I have a cousin who has lived in the States since he was about 7. Still considers himself English. I don’t think you could make a strong case against him representing either country? Similarly if people are of mixed parentage and have never lived in a country but their mum/dad is of that nationality, they may well see themselves as the same. I think the rules have to allow for these sorts of things in what is a complex and sensitive situation.

I’m not really a fan of eligibility debates. Obviously some cases may seem on the nose. But people feel all sorts of different ways about nationality. I have a cousin who has lived in the States since he was about 7. Still considers himself English. I don’t think you could make a strong case against him representing either country? Similarly if people are of mixed parentage and have never lived in a country but their mum/dad is of that nationality, they may well see themselves as the same. I think the rules have to allow for these sorts of things in what is a complex and sensitive situation.
As long as they’re committed, that’s fine by me

Spark

Global Moderator
I think this is all just straight up solved by requiring players to spend like three years or so in a country's FC system before being eligible for them (if they have one), because that directly addresses the only really legitimate argument against eligibility. I'm pretty sure that's the case anyway already. Otherwise it gets all very blood-and-soil-ish for me and no thanks to that.

mackembhoy

International Regular
I've not got a problem with it.

I'm English of Scottish/Irish heritage and football wise never been drawn to England like I am in cricket. I'd play for Scotland in parallel universe where I was a professional footballer.

Just I think other national sides have been somewhat deprived over the years and even now because earning potential via county cricket and getting England recognition is better for them than domestic and international cricket for their country of origin.

Kai Smith a UAE native with South African parents wants to play for England for example. He came here to study for his A levels at a boarding school.