• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

Think we’ll go something like this for the first Test:
Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Smith (top 7 looks as set as it’s been for a while)
Woakes
Atkinson
Stone
Bashir

That looks our deepest batting lineup for a very long time, but if Stokes can’t bowl, we’re either going to be short in the spin or seam department. Hoping he can bowl in the second and third Tests and we can bring in Leach for Stone

Third_Man

State 12th Man
He's taken 4 wickets at 79 from his 6 CC matches so far this season. As soon as Lyon was signed by Lancs he should've got out of there.
not as simple as blaming Lyon's short stay at Lancs. Hartley played three games (1-178) whilst Lyon was with Lancs for nine games but only missed out on two of the other six because of Lyon. He missed the other four because he was on England drinks duty (ICC and Pakistan series).

Now he's out of the England set up (all three formats) plus dropped from the Lancashire first team for the last two championship matches as Wells takes on the senior spinner role (due to taking more wickets than Hartley who whilst he has become economical has a season's best of 2-46 av over 80. He was Lancs' only bowler to contain Bedingham and Ackerman and not selected since.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Was he going to play? I feel like his pick for Sri Lanka was in part because the series had already been wrapped up, I’m not sure he’d have played it the series were still on the line
No I doubt he was. We picked too many seamers for the series if the pitches are anything like last time. We rotated between Jimmy,Robinson and Wood. Overton was taken too but didn't play. Stokes only bowled one test.

Unless you used a different attack each game a few of these were going to be carrying drinks

Potts
Woakes
Atkinson
Carse
Stone
Hull

No I doubt he was. We picked too many seamers for the series if the pitches are anything like last time. We rotated between Jimmy,Robinson and Wood. Overton was taken too but didn't play. Stokes only bowled one test.

Unless you used a different attack each game a few of these were going to be carrying drinks

Potts
Woakes
Atkinson
Carse
Stone
Hull
Given how many of our bowlers have been dropping like flies, I get picking plenty of bowlers tbf. Now we’re down to 5, if we pick 3 seamers per Test that seems like enough in case of injury or if we want to shuffle the pack a bit (I don’t see Atkinson playing 3 Tests back to back after what happened towards the end of the Sri Lanka series). Last time out in Pakistan we picked 3 seamers in the first Test, one being Stokes who only bowled 7 overs (that was the Test Will Jacks bowled nearly 50 overs and got a 6fer), then in the second we picked 3, and then finally in Karachi we only had 2 seamers, Robinson and Wood with the additional frontline spinner in Ahmed

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Woakes
Atkinson
Stone
Bashir

That looks our deepest batting lineup for a very long time, but if Stokes can’t bowl, we’re either going to be short in the spin or seam department. Hoping he can bowl in the second and third Tests and we can bring in Leach for Stone
If Stokes can bowl, then surely we play 2 spinners. I'd swap Leach for Woakes who is unlikely to be of any use on these pitches.

If Stokes can bowl, then surely we play 2 spinners. I'd swap Leach for Woakes who is unlikely to be of any use on these pitches.
Stokes has said he won’t be bowling in the first Test. Be interesting to see what pitches Pakistan prepare, it was a lush green one for Bangladesh the other day, anything like that and it might bring Woakes well into the game

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Woakes
Atkinson
Stone
Bashir

Hartley probably would have given similar returns with the bat as Woakes & offered a extra spin option.
Woakes trundling on those roads of Pakistan is a joke. Stone must play over him.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Stokes has said he won’t be bowling in the first Test. Be interesting to see what pitches Pakistan prepare, it was a lush green one for Bangladesh the other day, anything like that and it might bring Woakes well into the game
I would be astonished if they went with green pitches as it would bring in Woakes as well as any of the other seamers England could pick. I never know what's going on in Pakistan. Every Pak origin person I speak to with a knowledge of their game always says that there are a few folk who are not on the radar who simply don't get picked because of selectorial favouritism.

govinda indian fan

State 12th Man
Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Woakes
Atkinson
Stone
Bashir

Woakes in asia is a joke but think they have taken punt since this is worst test team pakistan ever had

Hartley probably would have given similar returns with the bat as Woakes & offered a extra spin option.
Woakes trundling on those roads of Pakistan is a joke. Stone must play over him.
Woakes in asia is a joke but think they have taken punt since this is worst test team pakistan ever had
I’ve picked Stone and Atkinson alongside him, which one of Potts or Carse is guaranteed to outperform him? The seam bowling stocks are looking pretty mediocre right now

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I’ve picked Stone and Atkinson alongside him, which one of Potts or Carse is guaranteed to outperform him? The seam bowling stocks are looking pretty mediocre right now
As was discussed before, it is nothing like 2 years ago when you had Anderson and Robinson doing a fine job with the ball and Wood having a good impact when he played. None of those are present this tour. I'm not quite so down on some of the choices but it will be a hard job for them in Pakistan given their lack of experience.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Why sky not buying? Thought they had a deal with pcb
Not listed yet and on here

TNT Sports have a lot of red and white ball series coming up involving England ,Pakistan etc

no mention if they are going to show the test series in Pakistan though