• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank in order as batsmen: Chappell vs Gavaskar vs Richards vs Kallis vs Lara

kyear2

International Coach
Ironic, considering he has the lowest production amongst these batsmen, let alone any other top class batsmen.
So of course you're going to ignore all of the other factors.

Yeah...

He faced a plethora of all time greats throughout his career, he's one of three players in the discussion for, and likely the best player of fast bowling ever, epic series home and away, and almost everywhere against said ATGs, an explosive and almost unmatched peak. He was one of the two players most responsible for turning an average team into world beaters and arguably the greatest team ever.
He was one of a handful of batsmen ever who could and often did turn a match in a session, he was the link between Barry and Sachin / Lara as the greatest batsman of his time and reigned for over a decade.
In WSC he was one of only 3 batsmen to master the conditions and the bowlers.

One of the Wisden 5 players of the century, made the cricinfo and Wisden all time teams. The batsman who teams spent time thinking of how to contain and often to no avail.

But yeah, 14 batsmen have a better resume than that, not on your life.
Yeah his eyes went at the end, but that doesn't take away from what he did during the majority of his career.

Stacking up runs in a dead era vs substandard bowling isn't nearly comparable to scoring in the 80's.

But context is obviously lost on you.

ataraxia

International Coach
I find it a bit funny how some people will use playing for a weak team as proof of a bat's quality, and others will use playing in a strong team.

One of these has got to be off.
Yeah similar to "when he scores runs the team wins" v. "he scores runs in adversity (i.e. when the team doesn't do so well)". In these instances there's two separate factors at play and just looking at averages doesn't really tell much – you have to actually understand the context of the player's games and team.

Coronis

International Coach
So of course you're going to ignore all of the other factors.

Yeah...

He faced a plethora of all time greats throughout his career, he's one of three players in the discussion for, and likely the best player of fast bowling ever, epic series home and away, and almost everywhere against said ATGs, an explosive and almost unmatched peak. He was one of the two players most responsible for turning an average team into world beaters and arguably the greatest team ever.
He was one of a handful of batsmen ever who could and often did turn a match in a session, he was the link between Barry and Sachin / Lara as the greatest batsman of his time and reigned for over a decade.
In WSC he was one of only 3 batsmen to master the conditions and the bowlers.

One of the Wisden 5 players of the century, made the cricinfo and Wisden all time teams. The batsman who teams spent time thinking of how to contain and often to no avail.

But yeah, 14 batsmen have a better resume than that, not on your life.
Yeah his eyes went at the end, but that doesn't take away from what he did during the majority of his career.

Stacking up runs in a dead era vs substandard bowling isn't nearly comparable to scoring in the 80's.

But context is obviously lost on you.
I just find it a bit amusing that he ranks last in your most important quality, but still manages to rank 1st overall.

kyear2

International Coach
I just find it a bit amusing that he ranks last in your most important quality, but still manages to rank 1st overall.

I find it amusing that you would look at only the first, when he's probably 1st for literally all of the others.

Honestly is a seriously lack of objectivity and obviously purposely at that.

Coronis

International Coach
I find it amusing that you would look at only the first, when he's probably 1st for literally all of the others.

Honestly is a seriously lack of objectivity and obviously purposely at that.
Seriously you need to stop being so serious all the time. Relax and take a joke. Being able to laugh at yourself is actually a good thing mate.