• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
He is, he's a bonafide Test 6. Could even bat 5, no trouble. But I like him at 6-7 because then it's a clear line in the sand that you pick your best 5 batsmen, then GP or your WK/bat, then the best 4 bowlers. None of this Santner, Bracewell BS where you hedge your bets on a guy who averages 20 with the bat and 40 with the ball, because they might do a job one Test in 2-3 series'.
Exactly my point he should be at 6. 7 for me is to low

Silver Silva

International Regular
Has to be the most exciting introduction of a SL Test player since the golden era, right? This is some start to a Test career. Most of the other exciting ones I can remember were really one-off performances.
Nobody in SL Test history has had this kind of start ..
To give an indication,
the fastest Sri Lankan batsmen to 1000 Test runs was Roy Dias in 1985 and it took him 23 innings ..

Kamindu is on 900+ after 13 innings

Howe_zat

Audio File
If I were a facing down 450/5 in the first innings I'd probably be holding on to the notion of it being an easy batting test and it could be 500 plays 500. Seems unlikely though given the missed chances and the scoring rate not being high for everyone except Kamindu Mendis.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Fastest to 5 Test hundreds :

1.Everton Weekes - 10 innings
2.Neil Harvey & Herbert Sutcliffe - 12 innings
3.Sir Don Bradman and Kamindu Mendis - 13 innings

Some great company Kamindu has there. !
Just wanted to post my appreciation again. Feel pleased that I got to watch him bat for a couple of hours at the Oval. I can't claim to be any technical batting guru, but I could tell by watching him then that he had so much time at the crease, regardless of the bowling.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Fastest to 5 Test hundreds :

1.Everton Weekes - 10 innings
2.Neil Harvey & Herbert Sutcliffe - 12 innings
3.Sir Don Bradman and Kamindu Mendis - 13 innings

Some great company Kamindu has there. !
Yet his write up on Cricinfo is mainly about his bowling ability :laugh:

That surely will have to change soon. Although from this write up, why doesn't he bowl?

"Though foremost a batsman who scores heavily square of the wicket, it is for his unique skill set with the ball that Kamindu Mendis had gained an international reputation long before he entered a national squad. He bowls finger spin with both arms, and does it with skill and accuracy - his offbreaks not quite as good as his left-arm orthodox, but not far off. Understandably, his potential has impressed coaches. In the age of T20, a bowler who can spin it away from both right and left-handers, not to mention employ different lines of attack to the same batsman, could potentially have team owners and data analysts drooling, so long as Kamindu continues to develop those skills.

A product of Galle's Richmond College, Mendis made his under-19 Sri Lanka debut shortly before his 16th birthday, and would go on to captain the under-19 side in the 2018 World Cup. In October of that year, he was picked in a Sri Lanka senior side for the first time, for the one-off T20 against England. A half-century in the practice match before that England tour had helped him secure a place."

Silver Silva

International Regular

That surely will have to change soon. Although from this write up, why doesn't he bowl?

"Though foremost a batsman who scores heavily square of the wicket, it is for his unique skill set with the ball that Kamindu Mendis had gained an international reputation long before he entered a national squad. He bowls finger spin with both arms, and does it with skill and accuracy - his offbreaks not quite as good as his left-arm orthodox, but not far off. Understandably, his potential has impressed coaches. In the age of T20, a bowler who can spin it away from both right and left-handers, not to mention employ different lines of attack to the same batsman, could potentially have team owners and data analysts drooling, so long as Kamindu continues to develop those skills.

A product of Galle's Richmond College, Mendis made his under-19 Sri Lanka debut shortly before his 16th birthday, and would go on to captain the under-19 side in the 2018 World Cup. In October of that year, he was picked in a Sri Lanka senior side for the first time, for the one-off T20 against England. A half-century in the practice match before that England tour had helped him secure a place."
Steve Smith legspinner vibes lol

slcricfan1

Cricket Spectator

DDS does the job as the batting all rounder

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Blundell starting to look like he's cooked. Really needs to find some runs before the end of this tour.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think being ambidextrous and okay enough to bowl both styles at pro level is a neat party trick. Just so happens that all it is is a party trick and his true value is that he is a damn good batsman. He isn't even on the level of DDS as a bowler from what I've seen.
I think all the earliest posts about him on CW are about his quirk bowling too. It probably was the most interesting thing about him before he became a high-performing domestic bat a few years ago. If the cricinfo profile was last written in 2020 or earlier that's probably what I'd write about

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Blundell starting to look like he's cooked. Really needs to find some runs before the end of this tour.
It's really hard to fathom why. He's 34, which is reasonably old, but he didn't play for NZ until he was 27, doesn't play franchise cricket, and so on. But the decline from the 90 at home to England two summers ago has been outrageous bad. Averaging 12 in 16 innings.