• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Snapshots are always the best way but looking at last week's teams numbers are recruited from outside:
Worcestershire (9) plus Leach and D'Oliveira
Warwickshire (8) plus Shaikh, Yates, Hain (came as a 17 year old) so maybe 9
Durham (8) plus Hogg, McKinney & Minto (scarcely a handful of first class games between them)
Kent (8) Muyeye, Bell Drummond, Denly
Notts (7) plus McCann, James, Fletcher, Ahmed
Surrey (5) plus Sibley, Tom Curran (came at 17), Sam Curran, Burns, Lawes, Patel
Hampshire (4)
Lancashire (4)
Somerset (3)
Essex (3)

Overall, think that's 59 recruited and 51 developed.
Recruited:
Wor: Roderick, Libby, Ali, Jones, Hose, Brookes, Van Beek, Virdi, Taylor
War: Rhodes, Davies, Barnard, Burgess, Briggs, Miles, HannonDalby, Rushworth
Dur: Parkinson, Lees, Gay, Beddingham, Robinson, Ackermann, De Leede, Holder
Ken: Compton, Leaning, Evison, Finch, Parkinson, Jordan, Gilchrist, Garrett
Not: Hameed, Slater, Clarke, Haynes, Schadendorf, Lord, Duffy
Sur: Lawrence, Foakes, Clark, McKerr, Worrell
Han: Gubbins, Brown, Abbott, Abbas
Lan: Jennings, Williams, Philip, Wells
Som: Umeed, KohlerCadmore, Randell
Ess: Elgar, Critchley, Harmer

as has been said Surrey by no means top of that list

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not included there will be the players that get taken from a Minor County and the big counties who snap them up have had basically no input in their development but it counts as one of their own more often than not.

Yeoman

U19 Captain
For me there is a big difference between picking up a player who is a fringe or squad player at another county, or even one who has been released and poaching a first choice player.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Not included there will be the players that get taken from a Minor County and the big counties who snap them up have had basically no input in their development but it counts as one of their own more often than not.
I agree, I hestitated over that one but it's not always clear. Stokes played Cumbria under 15s thereafter Durham for instance.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
For me there is a big difference between picking up a player who is a fringe or squad player at another county, or even one who has been released and poaching a first choice player.
Again agreed, but that information is seldom in the public domain particularly whether a player was out of contract but offered another by their original county, is that 'poaching' especially three or four years down the line.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I agree, I hestitated over that one but it's not always clear. Stokes played Cumbria under 15s thereafter Durham for instance.
I find that a slightly strange thing to consider. Surely the pathway for promising young players to succeed to an extent that they get picked up by a f/c county. That would go beyond Stokes. I kept getting reminded on another forum about Somerset having a fair number of players who came from Devon. It strikes me as a natural pathway.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
I find that a slightly strange thing to consider. Surely the pathway for promising young players to succeed to an extent that they get picked up by a f/c county. That would go beyond Stokes. I kept getting reminded on another forum about Somerset having a fair number of players who came from Devon. It strikes me as a natural pathway.
Yes it is a natural pathway. Exactly. But it makes any analysis of who is a home grown player blurred. Does having played a season at under 17 age group mean that someone are home grown? Or should Yorkshire, Lancashire and Durham all count anyone who played Cumbria u15s as developed by the First Class County?