• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Batsmen with Debut after 2000

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Clarke definitely belongs in the list but I’d say he’s in a tier below Root/Sanga/Williamson/Younis

his purple patch was Godlike though

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably more to do with the fact that Clarke was a bit of a HTB. A home vs away avg of 62 vs 39 doesn't paint him in the best picture, whilst playing on some of the more batting friendly pitches this century. Would definitely make the top 15 though.
I understand that, but folks are whacking ABdV in here and he spent the first half of his career downhill skiing faster than Alberto Tomba.

Burgey

He does tbf, 2 8fers included. Maybe my memory is a bit biased against him because most of his contributions came in losing causes for Australia.
Yeah fair point. He's also got a lot better there as he’s gone on. His first tour or two were pretty dire iirc.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith
Sanga
ABD
Clarke
Kohli
Root
Younis
Williamson
Amla
Sehwag
I may have overrated Clarke but thats fine because everyone else is underrating him. His back forced an early retirement otherwise he had the ability to turn around some of his away numbers too.

Also while I placed Kohli above Root in this (very marginally), I think it's very likely he will finish below Root in the eyes of vast majority, myself included. One because Root is still in his prime. Two because Kohli is partly finished in terms of his drive and hunger to excel; even technically he's regressed a lot.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
My top 50 batsmen list: (min 2000 test runs)

1. Smith
2. Root
3. Sangakkara
4. De Villiers
5. Kohli
6. Williamson
7. Younis
8. Amla
9. GC Smith
10. Pietersen
11. Cook
12. Clarke
13. Sehwag
14. Hussey
15. Khawaja
16. Gayle
17. Bell
18. Pujara
19. Taylor
20. Azhar Ali
21. Trott
22. Mathews
23. Warner
24. Samaraweera
25. Labuschagne
26. Strauss
27. Misbah
28. Katich
29. Chandimal
30. Trescothick
31. Rohit
32. Babar
33. Pant
34. Collingwood
35. Head
36. Rahane
37. Sarwan
38. Du plessis
39. Gambhir
40. Prince
41. Elgar
42. Tamim
43. Richardson
44. Karunaratne
45. Vijay
46. Latham
47. De Kock
48. De Silva
49. Watling
50. Rahim

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Only 1 full game since he turned 23
Yup. His record in England and India is definitely a black mark against him but holding his record in South Africa against him is so stupid and pretty disingenuous.

Deadset if he’s likely to retire after the Aussie 26/27 test tour then he would’ve gone 17 years with only a chance to have played 3 test matches in South Africa. And only one in the last 15 years of his test career

Coronis

International Coach
Yup. His record in England and India is definitely a black mark against him but holding his record in South Africa against him is so stupid and pretty disingenuous.

Deadset if he’s likely to retire after the Aussie 26/27 test tour then he would’ve gone 17 years with only a chance to have played 3 test matches in South Africa. And only one in the last 15 years of his test career
B-but it ticks a box off the checklist!

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
New Zealand have played three test matches in South Africa during his whole test career 🤣
Yup he has only played 3 tests there but the point was more that in most major challenges away from home, Williamson has a poor record including ENG, IND and SL + the only 3 tests we have in SA. Williamson has a good record in Aus but it is still not better than the likes of ABD or Kohli. His major away successes have come on easier pitches in Pak/UAE or weaker attacks in Wi/Zim/Ban. He's surely an ATG on NZ wickets though.
With the above record, it makes it a bit difficult to rate him above ABD and Kohli imo

Howsie

International Captain
Yup he has only played 3 tests there but the point was more that in most major challenges away from home, Williamson has a poor record including ENG, IND and SL + the only 3 tests we have in SA. Williamson has a good record in Aus but it is still not better than the likes of ABD or Kohli. His major away successes have come on easier pitches in Pak/UAE or weaker attacks in Wi/Zim/Ban. He's surely an ATG on NZ wickets though.
With the above record, it makes it a bit difficult to rate him above ABD and Kohli imo
Can’t say I’m an expert in regards to where certain players have scored etc but if Kane is averaging 55 and Kohli is down at 49 now surely he has a few major holes in his resume now also…

No doubt Williamson needs to fire in India during our next series. Two tests in Sri Lanka and a proper series in India for the first time since his debut. No excuses if he doesn’t score this time

OverratedSanity

Probably more to do with the fact that Clarke was a bit of a HTB. A home vs away avg of 62 vs 39 doesn't paint him in the best picture, whilst playing on some of the more batting friendly pitches this century. Would definitely make the top 15 though.
It's sometimes hard to remember how htb like Clarke's record was because he played some outrageously good knocks away from home in tough conditions. Had some very lean stretches that bring the numbers down though.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Can’t say I’m an expert in regards to where certain players have scored etc but if Kane is averaging 55 and Kohli is down at 49 now surely he has a few major holes in his resume now also…

No doubt Williamson needs to fire in India during our next series. Two tests in Sri Lanka and a proper series in India for the first time since his debut. No excuses if he doesn’t score this time
Surprisingly, he doesn't except England (avg 33), and still has an ATG series there. VK didn't played much of minnows, and even when he did, seldom cashed in too big.

morgieb

Realistically, I think every Aussie of this era bar Smith has significant HTB leans.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
A top 50..... Let's try:

1. Steve Smith
  2. Kumar Sangakkara
  3. A B de Villiers
  4. Virat Kohli
  5. Joe Root
  6. Younis Khan
  7. Kane Williamson
  8. Hashim Amla
  9. Graeme Smith
  10. Virendra Sehwag
  11. Alaistar Cook
  12. Kevin Pietersen
  13. Michael Clarke
  14. Michael Hussey
  15. Cheteshwar Pujara
  16. Ross Taylor
  17. Usman Khawaja
  18. Marnus Labuschagne
  19. Chris Gayle
  20. David Warner
  21. Angelo Mathews
  22. Misbah-ul-Haq
  23. Jonathan Trott
  24. Azhar Ali
  25. Marcus Trescothick
  26. Ian Bell
  27. Simon Katich
  28. Thillan Samaraweera
  29. Andrew Strauss
  30. Babar Azam
  31. Rohit Sharma
  32. Dinesh Chandimal
  33. Rishabh Pant
  34. Dimuth Karunaratne
  35. Faf du Plessis
  36. Ramnaresh Sarwan
  37. Tamim Iqbal
  38. Brendon McCullum
  39. Paul Collingwood
  40. Ashwell Prince
  41. Ajinkya Rahane
  42. Dean Elgar
  43. Mushfiqur Rahim
  44. Darryl Mitchell
  45. Travis Head
  46. Gautam Gambhir
  47. Chris Rogers
  48. Matt Prior
  49. Tom Latham
  50. Devon Conway

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
A top 50..... Let's try:

1. Steve Smith
  2. Kumar Sangakkara
  3. A B de Villiers
  4. Virat Kohli
  5. Joe Root
  6. Younis Khan
  7. Kane Williamson
  8. Hashim Amla
  9. Graeme Smith
  10. Virendra Sehwag
  11. Alaistar Cook
  12. Kevin Pietersen
  13. Michael Clarke
  14. Michael Hussey
  15. Cheteshwar Pujara
  16. Ross Taylor
  17. Usman Khawaja
  18. Marnus Labuschagne
  19. Chris Gayle
  20. David Warner
  21. Angelo Mathews
  22. Misbah-ul-Haq
  23. Jonathan Trott
  24. Azhar Ali
  25. Marcus Trescothick
  26. Ian Bell
  27. Simon Katich
  28. Thillan Samaraweera
  29. Andrew Strauss
  30. Babar Azam
  31. Rohit Sharma
  32. Dinesh Chandimal
  33. Rishabh Pant
  34. Dimuth Karunaratne
  35. Faf du Plessis
  36. Ramnaresh Sarwan
  37. Tamim Iqbal
  38. Brendon McCullum
  39. Paul Collingwood
  40. Ashwell Prince
  41. Ajinkya Rahane
  42. Dean Elgar
  43. Mushfiqur Rahim
  44. Darryl Mitchell
  45. Travis Head
  46. Gautam Gambhir
  47. Chris Rogers
  48. Matt Prior
  49. Tom Latham
  50. Devon Conway
Good list, but Mark Richardson was better than at least 20 of them.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
A top 50..... Let's try:

1. Steve Smith
  2. Kumar Sangakkara
  3. A B de Villiers
  4. Virat Kohli
  5. Joe Root
  6. Younis Khan
  7. Kane Williamson
  8. Hashim Amla
  9. Graeme Smith
  10. Virendra Sehwag
  11. Alaistar Cook
  12. Kevin Pietersen
  13. Michael Clarke
  14. Michael Hussey
  15. Cheteshwar Pujara
  16. Ross Taylor
  17. Usman Khawaja
  18. Marnus Labuschagne
  19. Chris Gayle
  20. David Warner
  21. Angelo Mathews
  22. Misbah-ul-Haq
  23. Jonathan Trott
  24. Azhar Ali
  25. Marcus Trescothick
  26. Ian Bell
  27. Simon Katich
  28. Thillan Samaraweera
  29. Andrew Strauss
  30. Babar Azam
  31. Rohit Sharma
  32. Dinesh Chandimal
  33. Rishabh Pant
  34. Dimuth Karunaratne
  35. Faf du Plessis
  36. Ramnaresh Sarwan
  37. Tamim Iqbal
  38. Brendon McCullum
  39. Paul Collingwood
  40. Ashwell Prince
  41. Ajinkya Rahane
  42. Dean Elgar
  43. Mushfiqur Rahim
  44. Darryl Mitchell
  45. Travis Head
  46. Gautam Gambhir
  47. Chris Rogers
  48. Matt Prior
  49. Tom Latham
  50. Devon Conway
McCullum's a bit too high for my liking, otherwise a fine list and somewhat similar to mine