• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
Non english here England have great seam attack despite of lossing jimmy and borad in last one year with likes of Atchison wokes wood stone potts tounge and hull think they need suitable substitute for wood an express pacer who hits 95 miles regularly esp when wood is injured and in subcontinent where express pace is useful think archer wont play considering his injury or will he🤔🧐

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
Non english here England have great seam attack despite of lossing jimmy and borad in last one year with likes of Atchison wokes wood stone potts tounge and hull think they need suitable substitute for wood an express pacer who hits 95 miles regularly esp when wood is injured and in subcontinent where express pace is useful think archer wont play considering his injury or will he🤔🧐
He hasn’t played a Test for yonks, but I have a funny feeling that we take Archer Down Under next winter, especially if Wood isn’t fit

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
Answers on a postcard.

Questions marks over Wood, Archer, Stone, Tongue and Atkinson as all have struggled over their fitness.

Add Stokes in too there who could easily break down again from a bowling perspective. Plus he's our fifth bowler anyway.

Woakes would be terrible. As I'm sure we will see if he plays in Pakistan/New Zealand this winter.

Robinson is persona non grata it seems.

Potts and Carse I've generally no idea how they'd do in Australia. Both were poor with the Kookaburra on a very flat one at Edgbaston earlier in the season(albeit Carse had the betting thing hanging over his head which affected his performance, but he wasn't great with the ball in 2023 in Division Two as well)

Whoever our spinner is will get targeted and I've no idea if they will have what is needed in those conditions.

When most of the attack could be potentially playing their first test in Australia it's gong to be a daunting prospect.

Jimmy shouldn't have been retired. I still think he should have been allowed to play until such time he was not worth his place in the side.

I'd have had more faith he was still capable of being fit and able to play than most of the other options we have.

Then throw in that our batting side have learnt absolutely nothing from mistakes in the 2023 Ashes . Were set up really well :laugh:

But we've got 12 tests matches in between so who knows what we will look like come November 2025
With Robinson I don’t know whether it’s fitness or whether he’s fallen out with the management (probably both, he’s run out of puff quickly in the last few series he’s played for us, and by all accounts is a bit of a dickhead), but it’s such a shame that he’s fallen out of the picture as he’s got a tremendous record both home and away. Surprised Woakes was picked for Pakistan, would be flabbergasted if he goes to Australia even though he’s a better batter than the rest, Wood is a dead cert IF he can stay fit, and as I said before I do have a sneaky feeling Archer gets taken Down Under even though he’s not played a Test in ages. Fancy Atkinson could do well there, he’s pretty quick (when he’s not carrying a knock!) and can get good bounce (I remember Vaughan showed an interesting graphic that he gets wickets from a wider variety of lengths than the others). Hard to say with Potts and Carse, Potts did quite impress me this summer, Carse I’m less convinced by, but let’s see them in Pakistan and potentially New Zealand

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
With Robinson I don’t know whether it’s fitness or whether he’s fallen out with the management (probably both, he’s run out of puff quickly in the last few series he’s played for us, and by all accounts is a bit of a dickhead), but it’s such a shame that he’s fallen out of the picture as he’s got a tremendous record both home and away. Surprised Woakes was picked for Pakistan, would be flabbergasted if he goes to Australia even though he’s a better batter than the rest, Wood is a dead cert IF he can stay fit, and as I said before I do have a sneaky feeling Archer gets taken Down Under even though he’s not played a Test in ages. Fancy Atkinson could do well there, he’s pretty quick (when he’s not carrying a knock!) and can get good bounce (I remember Vaughan showed an interesting graphic that he gets wickets from a wider variety of lengths than the others). Hard to say with Potts and Carse, Potts did quite impress me this summer, Carse I’m less convinced by, but let’s see them in Pakistan and potentially New Zealand
Robinson did a podcast with his girlfriend when you guys toured india where he was critical of baz and team mangement

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Robinson and Woakes don't go, that will leave only Wood as a front line bowler who's played a test in Australia UIM. I suppose that's not necessarily a bad thing - they won here in 2010 with only Anderson having toured previously, though he, Broad and Swann were established test players by then.

I agree they should bring Archer if he's fit, he's quality. If they don't, someone is going to have to come from the clouds and do a Tremlett/ Bresnan.

Chubb

International Regular
Nobody can predict what the England Ashes attack will be. It’s very possible every pace bowler in the setup will be injured except Woakes so the lineup will be him plus a bunch of guys none of us have heard of yet.

Mark my words, at least one bowler will debut in the Ashes.

FBU

International Debutant
I read somewhere that Stokes won't be bowling in the 1st Test in Pakistan. So Woakes, Atkinson, Carse, Leach, Bashir

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Archer will be broken again before the next Ashes for sure. He's completely finished as a realistic red ball option, more chance of him going full franchise mercenary than ever playing another Test imo

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
I read somewhere that Stokes won't be bowling in the 1st Test in Pakistan. So Woakes, Atkinson, Carse, Leach, Bashir
If that’s true, that means we’ll have space for 4 frontline bowlers, wonder if that means we forgo a spinner for that Test and then have Root pick up the slack
Edit: Stokes confirms he won’t be able to bowl in the first Test here

Last edited:

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
If Robinson and Woakes don't go, that will leave only Wood as a front line bowler who's played a test in Australia UIM. I suppose that's not necessarily a bad thing - they won here in 2010 with only Anderson having toured previously, though he, Broad and Swann were established test players by then.

I agree they should bring Archer if he's fit, he's quality. If they don't, someone is going to have to come from the clouds and do a Tremlett/ Bresnan.
Woakes has experience, but it’s all bad experience, would rather chance our arm on a debutant than pick him Down Under. Archer hasn’t played a Test in Australia (or many places for that matter!) but he at least has experience all over the world in the three formats, in terms of pressure he can handle it. Suspect if there is going to be a ‘wildcard’ pick, it’ll be Ajeet Singh Dale or Zaman Akhter, they are fast and bowled well for the Lions the other day against Sri Lanka