• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best you have seen

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Simple premise. Just list the top 3 batsmen, fast bowlers, spinners, wicket-keepers and fielders you have seen in your lifetime. Obviously, I would weigh test cricket at 80% and LO stuff at 20% but if others wanna give different weightages to the formats, that is fine too. Just state from when you started watching/following cricket seriously and your weightages for the formats, as you share your rating. I will go first -

Started watching/following cricket seriously - 1990
Format Weights - 80% tests 20% LO

Batsmen -

1. Lara
2. Sachin
3. Smith

Fast Bowlers -

1. Ambrose
2. Steyn
3. McGrath

Spinners -

1. Murali
2. Warne
3. Ashwin

Wicket-keepers -

1. Gilchrist
2. MSD
3. Pant/Rizwan (??)

Fielders -

1. Jonty
2. Ponting
3.. Hooper

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Started watching/following cricket seriously - Early 2000s
Format Weights - 40% tests 20% ODIs 40% T20is

Batsmen -

1. Brian Lara
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Jacques Kallis

Fast Bowlers -

1. Glenn McGrath
2. Dale Steyn
3. James Anderson

Spinners -

1. Muttiah Muralidaran
2. Shane Warne
3. Anil Kumble

Wicket-keepers -

1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Kumar Sangakkarra
3. Mark Boucher

Fielders -

1. Temba Bavuma
2. Herschelle Gibbs
3. Collins Obuya

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
Started to watch cricket from 2007
Best batsmen
Sachin tendulkar
Steve smith
Virat kohli (all format)

Best fast bowlers
Dale styen
Jimmy anderson
Jasprit bumarh

Best spinners
Murali
Swann
Ashwin

Best wicket keepers
Adam Gilchrist
Kumar sangakkara
Ms dhoni/rishabh pant

Best fielders
Jadeja
Symonds
Abd

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Started following seriously 1977

Format weighting - tests 80%, combined LO 20%
Listings not in any particular order unless stated

Batsmen
Tendulkar
Smith
Lara

Quicks
McGrath
Hadlee
Marshall

Spinners
Murali
Warne
Bedi

Fielders
Ponting
Symonds
Harper

Keepers
Gilchrist
Knott
Healy

I found it hardest to rank the quicks tbh. A lot of guns to choose from there, with the likes of Akram, Ambrose, Garner, Bumrah, Cummins, Imran, Lillee, Steyn all exceptional.

Spinners were relatively easy, though Kumble very unlucky as was His Roundness, who I rated very highly. Ashwin too.

Keepers kind of picked themselves for me, though Pant is excellent, as was Wasim Bari.

Lot of gun batsmen in my time watching - if I went back to when I was a really young kid I would have had Sobers but happily don't have to leave any of the three I picked out. I think those three are just a smallish but discernable cut above the rest I've watched since I got serious about the game, even though others might be more enteratining or have almost comparable records.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Batsmen:
Lara
Sachin
Smith

Pace bowlers:
McGrath
Steyn
Ambrose

Spinners:
Murali
Warne
Ashwin

Wicketkeepers :
Gilchrist
Watling
Sangakkara

Fielders (ground fielding):
Jonty
Ponting
Symonds

Fielders (slips):
Hooper
M Waugh
Jayawardene

Criteria: 75/25 to tests/odis. Mostly considered skill level rather than just career quality.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not going to get into any great detail here, but I (along with Pothas) was lucky enough to be at Lords for the first day of the 2005 Ashes.

The most memorable aspect of the day by far, predictably, was McGrath running through England in the afternoon.

Ordinarily teenage me would have been annoyed and pissed off at seeing the team I was supporting getting absolutely trounced. But in the back of my mind I could almost hear myself saying to myself the words "You are watching first-hand one of the absolute best ever, performing at close to his absolute best", and I realised this is probably something that very few people are ever lucky enough to get to say/see.

I doubt I will ever experience anything quite like it again.

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
Started following seriously 1977

Format weighting - tests 80%, combined LO 20%
Listings not in any particular order unless stated

Batsmen
Tendulkar
Smith
Lara

Quicks
McGrath
Hadlee
Marshall

Spinners
Murali
Warne
Bedi

Fielders
Ponting
Symonds
Harper

Keepers
Gilchrist
Knott
Healy

I found it hardest to rank the quicks tbh. A lot of guns to choose from there, with the likes of Akram, Ambrose, Garner, Bumrah, Cummins, Imran, Lillee, Steyn all exceptional.

Spinners were relatively easy, though Kumble very unlucky as was His Roundness, who I rated very highly. Ashwin too.

Keepers kind of picked themselves for me, though Pant is excellent, as was Wasim Bari.

Lot of gun batsmen in my time watching - if I went back to when I was a really young kid I would have had Sobers but happily don't have to leave any of the three I picked out. I think those three are just a smallish but discernable cut above the rest I've watched since I got serious about the game, even though others might be more enteratining or have almost comparable records.
Seems like you have seen many great batters curious how do would rate rohan kanahi gr vishwanth zaheer abass and david gower who were stylish yet underated

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
Not going to get into any great detail here, but I (along with Pothas) was lucky enough to be at Lords for the first day of the 2005 Ashes.

The most memorable aspect of the day by far, predictably, was McGrath running through England in the afternoon.

Ordinarily teenage me would have been annoyed and pissed off at seeing the team I was supporting getting absolutely trounced. But in the back of my mind I could almost hear myself saying to myself the words "You are watching first-hand one of the absolute best ever, performing at close to his absolute best", and I realised this is probably something that very few people are ever lucky enough to get to say/see.

I doubt I will ever experience anything quite like it again.
Wow you were lucky to witness such a great series

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing that most impressed me about McGrath when watching him at the ground was how much bounce he got compared to other bowlers

Virtually every ball from McGrath seemed to hit up near the splice whereas Gillespie and Lee were skidding on

Burgey

Seems like you have seen many great batters curious how do would rate rohan kanahi gr vishwanth zaheer abass and david gower who were stylish yet underated
I didn't see much of Kanhai really - I started seriously watching cricket not long after he retired, and keeping in mind there no one really got overseas cricket back then. Vishy I had a soft spot for, he used to take on the bowling and stand up to the quicks and did it well over here, which was a fair effort given the guys he faced. Zaheer was quality, probably had a bigger impact in LO from my perspective as a kid in Australia back then rather than tests. Gower was a great watch, he's the guy out of those you mentioned who I saw the most of. I always feared him a bit as an Australian supporter - was capable of making big scores. Was a briliant player to watch Probably the most elegant left hander I think I've seen tbh.

Burgey

The thing that most impressed me about McGrath when watching him at the ground was how much bounce he got compared to other bowlers

Virtually every ball from McGrath seemed to hit up near the splice whereas Gillespie and Lee were skidding on
Cummins does this a lot too. Even on flat decks. Makes them so hard to face.

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
I didn't see much of Kanhai really - I started seriously watching cricket not long after he retired, and keeping in mind there no one really got overseas cricket back then. Vishy I had a soft spot for, he used to take on the bowling and stand up to the quicks. Zaheer was quality, probably had a bigger impact in LO from my perspective as a kid in Australia back then rather than tests. Gower was a great watch, he's the guy out of those you mentioned who I saw the most of. I always feared him a bit as an Australian supporter - was capable of making big scores. Was a briliant player to watch Probably the most elegant left hander I think I've seen tbh.
Thank you sir for your replay great to hear from older cricket enthusiasts who have seen golden era of 70s and 80s my late father was great fan of gower used speak quite highly about him🙂