• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia limited overs tour of Scotland and England 2024

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Think England's white ball bowling resources are going to be really tested over the next 12-18 months

I like the look of Turner from the little I've seen of him. And Saqib has really good skills

Reactions: FBU

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, Livingstone is the most hot and cold cricketer this century. Even more so than Afridi

One in ten innings he looks like such a gun with the bat, bowls good leggies and then just doesn't resemble an international cricketer the other times

Must be incredibly frustrating for the management as he is such a genuine talent.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I maybe wouldn’t put it so black and white as Brook has but I guess he’s saying they are looking to play like the great side before them did.

Spark

Global Moderator
I went to bed well before the innings was over but there was definitely a difference in how the Australians decided to play vs what the English were trying. They just kept trying to hit through the line and bomb it over long on to length balls, which you can do on a nice true surface, but probably not one as slow as this, whereas the Australians really targeted the square boundaries with sweeps etc and only drove balls which were really full.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I maybe wouldn’t put it so black and white as Brook has but I guess he’s saying they are looking to play like the great side before them did.
To become a better side you need to play to your own strengths. It's early in the WC cycle though, so it's a good time for all teams to try different blokes/ styles/ roles to work out what those strengths are.

TheJediBrah

Appears Brook viewed it as a practice too.
Quote doesn't indicate that at all

That's the way they've been playing ODIs since the mid 2010s. Worked well for a while on the wickets they were preparing when Bairstow/Roy/Morgan/Hales etc. were doing such a good job. Doesn't work on anything other than a road though

He's also not wrong that on another day things could go differently and you post 400. Hopefully he has the nous to understand why it didn't work this time and he's not just thinking "oh well win some lose some"

SillyCowCorner1

He does look like a different beast now. Him coming in at number 5 gives him flexibility into what role/s he should play. Today, was more of a second fiddle to Head but he did pounce when the opportunity came. That’s more than enough for someone like him.

Looking at the upcoming tests, I agree with you on that.
Smudge also looked prime in his innings today. Number 3 should be his position in the longer format.
Different format and all, but he is the most important batsman in the Aus side heading into this test summer, so hopefully he Carrie’s on with the sort of form

Daemon

Idk why but Travis Head’s success since his comeback has always felt like it was too good to be real and he’d revert to mean eventually (I think it kinda has in Tests), but it looks more and more likely he’ll continue this way for many years in LOs.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Idk why but Travis Head’s success since his comeback has always felt like it was too good to be real and he’d revert to mean eventually (I think it kinda has in Tests), but it looks more and more likely he’ll continue this way for many years in LOs.
He's just become impossible to bowl to when there's only two outside the inner circle. He can back away and cut/drive you through the off side for fun, and if you go short he's able to pull most balls through the leg side. Also figured out how to hit the spin. I've heard the idea that teams need to just keep the stumps in play in t20's too him for 15 balls, just aim for top of middle.

IcarianStyles

Cricket Spectator
Travis Head always had good success the few times he's opened the batting in ODIs earlier in his career back in 2017/2018. He was mainly utilized as a middle order ODI player but it's kinda obvious he's not really suited there.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Also, Livingstone is the most hot and cold cricketer this century. Even more so than Afridi

One in ten innings he looks like such a gun with the bat, bowls good leggies and then just doesn't resemble an international cricketer the other times

Must be incredibly frustrating for the management as he is such a genuine talent.
He should be batting at seven in this line up and as long as you have another batter who bowls, like Jacks, that's fine. Livingstone is replacing Mo. His returns won't be consistent but he'll contribute in either discipline in one way or another.