• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

Third_Man

State 12th Man
We produced a lottery pitch against Worcs and threatened to derail our season.

So seems a pretty daft by Lancs when they really need max points.
First time since May 1970 that 21 wickets fell on the first day at Old Trafford. How many venues could say that?

Side batting last won that one.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
First time since May 1970 that 21 wickets fell on the first day at Old Trafford. How many venues could say that?

Side batting last won that one.
Chris Rushworth took 15 wickets in a day himself for Durham once and there was 22 in the day.

DURH vs NHNTS Cricket Scorecard at Chester-le-Street, September 15 - 17, 2014 (espncricinfo.com)

But here's the lottery pitch I was on about, 23 taken on day one

DURH vs WORCS Cricket Scorecard, 41st Match at Chester-le-Street, June 30 - July 02, 2024 (espncricinfo.com)

Last edited:

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
England's frontline spinner Rehan Ahmed currently has 1-120 from 22 overs at Northampton. Bowled two half trackers in the previous over and looks very down on confidence.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Bas De Leede bowling beautifully at the Oval.

Really stepping up in the absence of the 4 missing senior seamers.

Looking at how Lancs are going, Somerset really going to need us to get these final 5 wickets for less than 100 runs.

Are Somerset playing themselves out of contention? Look like they are going to have to face a 300+ total to chase at Old Trafford.
The positive being that there is likely to be plenty of time to do it and a draw is pretty much out of the equation.

Surrey have properly stepped up to the plate today. Pressure on, especially after that defeat last week. Ryan Patel has to be one of the most uncomplaining and reliable professionals out there.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The positive being that there is likely to be plenty of time to do it and a draw is pretty much out of the equation.

Surrey have properly stepped up to the plate today. Pressure on, especially after that defeat last week. Ryan Patel has to be one of the most uncomplaining and reliable professionals out there.
iirc this is the second important hundred that Patel has hit this season. The other feature today was Tom Lawes' half-century, which must be his best innings in a couple of years. When he first appeared in 2022 he looked like a reasonable prospect as a bowler who could bat more than a bit, but he'd barely made a score in the last couple of seasons until today. And obviously today's knock was vital. He also took the vital wicket of Beddington on Day 1 for not too many, so I'm enjoyng his performance this week.

The other thing that struck me about today's scorecard was the massive number of no-balls and byes. Perhaps reflecting the inexperience of many of the bowlers.

Last edited:

Yeoman

U19 Captain
We may indeed have seen the decisive day of the championship. I went to the Oval today and expected Surrey to dominate the depleted Durham attack in fine weather. However they all bowled well in spells and, at five down, it looked as if Durham could take a first innings lead. However the bowlers seemed to run out of steam as the afternoon went on and Patel and Tom Curran were each dropped twice.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Essex have been fined £100,000 (half suspended) for 'systematic use of racist/discriminatory language and/or conduct' between 2001 and 2010.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Are Somerset playing themselves out of contention? Look like they are going to have to face a 300+ total to chase at Old Trafford.
Which they may well chase down if the pitch has calmed down since Day 1, especially as it's still only Day 3 tomorrow. Looking at the scorecard, it's odd that Vaughan barely bowled after his heroics last week, even allowing for the different conditions.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Which they may well chase down if the pitch has calmed down since Day 1, especially as it's still only Day 3 tomorrow. Looking at the scorecard, it's odd that Vaughan barely bowled after his heroics last week, even allowing for the different conditions.
Isn’t the other side of the coin that they are reliant on spin in wearing conditions, that have been taken out of the equation by the low first innings scores? If they can skittle Lancs out quickly, they have a reasonable chance but you would expect some help for seamers this time of the year.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
We may indeed have seen the decisive day of the championship. I went to the Oval today and expected Surrey to dominate the depleted Durham attack in fine weather. However they all bowled well in spells and, at five down, it looked as if Durham could take a first innings lead. However the bowlers seemed to run out of steam as the afternoon went on and Patel and Tom Curran were each dropped twice.
Yep a fair summary of the days play.

Patel one was especially gutting. But for a seam unit with less than 20 FC games in England I thought we did very well.

Shame England callups and injuries have robbed both sides of what could have been a cracking tie.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Isn’t the other side of the coin that they are reliant on spin in wearing conditions, that have been taken out of the equation by the low first innings scores? If they can skittle Lancs out quickly, they have a reasonable chance but you would expect some help for seamers this time of the year.
Yes, absolutely. I'm only saying that I wouldn't write off Somerset's chances, especially if they take the last three Lancashire wickets quickly.
Unless you were talking about Vaughan, but he did take wickets in Surrey's first innings last week as well as in their second. So he may have been worth a twirl sooner than we saw today, especially when some of the Lancashire batters had seen off the seamers to some extent.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Shame England callups ......... have robbed both sides of what could have been a cracking tie.
Yup, that's one of the reasons why the CC has always been so flawed of course. That and the possibility of the weather preventing games being completed at all and, more recently, teams not having identical fixture lists. Although that last one was also the case many years ago, I suppose, when they played 24 three-day matches.