• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

thundaboult

International Debutant
lovin what i've seen from o'rourke so far this year

seems to have a "makes things happen" aura about him, runs being hit, ball movin n bouncin around a lot, always at decent pace...great theater

would love to see an attack of him, sears and henry

so sick n tired of tim southee...this is just never going to end...young careers have already been damaged because of him and its looking to continue a while

thierry henry

International Coach
O’Rourke doesn’t seem to be able to hit a good full-ish length very well, he makes batters uncomfortable bowling short all the time but it’s not an ideal wicket-taking length. I think those two yorkers were his crude attempt to adjust his length, I guess accidental inswinging yorkers are handy though.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
How’s Southee looking this morning? Definitely feel he doesn’t make NZ’s best XI any more but don’t want to write him off immediately either. CI BBB suggests reasonable speeds so far.

thundaboult

International Debutant
haha he defo does need some polishing yes, even his speeds are all over the place, 133 one ball, 148 next

or maybe he's just a jedi level master at varying his pace lmao

thundaboult

International Debutant
How’s Southee looking this morning? Definitely feel he doesn’t make NZ’s best XI any more but don’t want to write him off immediately either. CI BBB suggests reasonable speeds so far.
offering no threat whatsoever

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
O’Rourke doesn’t seem to be able to hit a good full-ish length very well, he makes batters uncomfortable bowling short all the time but it’s not an ideal wicket-taking length. I think those two yorkers were his crude attempt to adjust his length, I guess accidental inswinging yorkers are handy though.
The fact that he's trying to bowl full is encouraging..some bowlers end up being predictable with their lengths no matter the conditions

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Think this was pretty evident against Australia last season too, was good but almost everything over stump height. He doesn't need to a lot, but if he can just threaten the stumps once per over it makes him even more of a threat. So agree, it's good he's trying to bowl a few fuller.

danzydab

U19 Debutant
so sick n tired of tim southee...this is just never going to end...young careers have already been damaged because of him and its looking to continue a while
If he wasn't captain, retirement would be imminent Nz have a long list of promising upcoming young test seamers

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
O'Rourke is a gun, he actually bowls better to LHers. Stands up at the crease better when he is, but seems to fall away and bowl either javelin-style yorkers or bang it in too short when bowling to RHers.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
haha he defo does need some polishing yes, even his speeds are all over the place, 133 one ball, 148 next

or maybe he's just a jedi level master at varying his pace lmao
This was something I really noticed about him on ODI debut. Throughout most of his spell he was trucking along at 130-135 and I thought - "ah he's just 'NZ quick' and not 'actual quick'." But then in his last over he suddenly started cranking out yorkers in the low-mid 140's and it was like "Oh!"

Not sure if Jacob Oram is the right bowling coach to help him tighten up that action and bring a bit more consistency to his direction. I guess we'll see.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As opposed to Southee...I know he's the captain but there's no world in which Tim Southee is a better opening option than Matt Henry.
I mean, Southee's record in SL is pretty fantastic. But yeah, that Tim Southee left the building at least 18 months ago. No way he should be playing ahead of Henry, or O'Rourke or even Sears. If KJ ever gets fit again things are going to start to be utterly ridiculous.

thundaboult

International Debutant
And we do need KJ. I can't see henry making it to the 2027 world cup. Has already had many injury concerns in the last few years. KJ should be in his prime at that tournament, and ideally leading the attack. He has all the ability to be a success in all formats. Needs to stay on the park.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, Southee's record in SL is pretty fantastic. But yeah, that Tim Southee left the building at least 18 months ago. No way he should be playing ahead of Henry, or O'Rourke or even Sears. If KJ ever gets fit again things are going to start to be utterly ridiculous.
2019 was his last Test in Sri Lanka, right? I hear you but that's old news. To me, we haven't picked the best side because a guy happens to be the captain and has gone on WAY too long.

Matt Henry is our best cricketer, right now. Better than Kane, as it stands right now. He is truly world class. The guy just averaged around 10 v Australia, and has been world class for 2 years. And he's not playing. I don't care what the surface is, that's horse ****.