• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

chris.hinton

International Captain
England have picked their party to go to Pakistan, Chris Woakes makes it as does Josh Hull but Dan Lawrence doesnt

Squad

England squad for Test series against Pakistan: Ben Stokes (capt), Rehan Ahmed, Gus Atkinson, Shoaib Bashir, Harry Brook, Bryson Carse, Jordan Cox, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Josh Hull, Jack Leach, Ollie Pope, Matthew Potts, Joe Root, Jamie Smith, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Hartley should have been picked over Ahmed. His batting is better than Rehan SLAO works in SC more than a wrist spinner

Molehill

International Captain
Hartley should have been picked over Ahmed. His batting is better than Rehan SLAO works in SC more than a wrist spinner
He's taken 4 wickets at 79 from his 6 CC matches so far this season. As soon as Lyon was signed by Lancs he should've got out of there.

The spinner who should be there (as I mentioned elsewhere) is Carson, 42 wickets at 22.8 this year. Only Dawson (who is clearly not going to be selected) can compete with those kinds of figures. Carson can bat too.

Reactions: FBU

Ali TT

International Regular
He's taken 4 wickets at 79 from his 6 CC matches so far this season. As soon as Lyon was signed by Lancs he should've got out of there.

The spinner who should be there (as I mentioned elsewhere) is Carson, 42 wickets at 22.8 this year. Only Dawson (who is clearly not going to be selected) can compete with those kinds of figures. Carson can bat too.
Carson in Division 2 though, so hardly counts. He's not thrived when called up to the Lions either, so expect his chances of ever getting called up are slim. Although not even sure Ahmed is a bowler these days

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain

Any left arm spinner would work but Guess they wanted Leach as sole SLAO... And included Rehan just for variety.
Bashir and Leach should start anyways

kevinw

International 12th Man
OK, Dawson not going to India was one thing, but his Summer has been remarkable. I don't care what's gone on before, he should be an auto-pick for tours of South Asia.

I'm surprised Jacks hasn't been picked as a batter who can bowl, either opening or in the middle order. Given his betting issues, I find it remarkable that Carse just walks straight back into the squad. I just shrug at the selections these days. It's all based on *vibes*.

smash84

The Tiger King
Wait, England are heading off to Pakistan :blink:

This is going to be absolute carnage given how dire Pakistan have been for some time now and off the recent beaten taken from the bangers.

Pakistan should back out of this somehow.

govinda indian fan

U19 12th Man

This is going to be absolute carnage given how dire Pakistan have been for some time now and off the recent beaten taken from the bangers.

Na if pakistan prepare turners they can win oh sorry forgot pak has no good spinners

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Rehan Ahmed took 7 wickets @19.57 on debut in Pakistan..Rehan averages 29 compared to Hartley 23 with the bat.
Rehan got brutally thrashed and then dropped in India whereas Hartley held his own ntm won a test and added crucial runs as well.
Too harsh on Hartley imo as he actually delivered in a tough series

Molehill

International Captain
Rehan got brutally thrashed and then dropped in India whereas Hartley held his own ntm won a test and added crucial runs as well.
Too harsh on Hartley imo as he actually delivered in a tough series
The problem is, Hartley has played very little FC Cricket since then. Lancs signed Lyon and Hartley spent half the summer watching on.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
OK, Dawson not going to India was one thing, but his Summer has been remarkable. I don't care what's gone on before, he should be an auto-pick for tours of South Asia.

I'm surprised Jacks hasn't been picked as a batter who can bowl, either opening or in the middle order. Given his betting issues, I find it remarkable that Carse just walks straight back into the squad. I just shrug at the selections these days. It's all based on *vibes*.
Dawson by all accounts told the ECB to suck their mudda given how shoddily they have treated him in the past.

he is happy taking the franchise bag. fair play to him. i'd take it too rather than run drinks.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I raised my concerns over the seam bowling attack in Pakistan on the selection thread, although that might be mitigated somewhat if Pakistan feel that they have more chance of beating England in seam bowling friendly conditions. That sounds a little nuts to me though as I would have thought this would make a currently non-functioning Pakistan batting lineup more vulnerable.

I think the spin bowling choices are arguably least of all of England's problems, although I'm not sure Ahmed playing sounds like a good idea currently.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Dawson by all accounts told the ECB to suck their mudda given how shoddily they have treated him in the past.

he is happy taking the franchise bag. fair play to him. i'd take it too rather than run drinks.
I get him not wanting to ferry the drinks out, but he has to be one of the three best spinners in the country (realistically, second after Leach) and he bats.