• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

BigBeefy

Cricket Spectator
England had threatened to lose a test all summer- particularly in this Sri Lanka series.

It should be a massive wake up call if they are serious about ever doing anything down under.

Take nothing away from Sri Lanka however- a couple of their players really have looked the business and played conditions well.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
England had threatened to lose a test all summer- particularly in this Sri Lanka series.

It should be a massive wake up call if they are serious about ever doing anything down under.

Take nothing away from Sri Lanka however- a couple of their players really have looked the business and played conditions well.
It should be noted, that Australia lost a home Test to the Windies, who were similarly unfavoured...and that Test wasn't a 'dead rubber'. I don't think the mentality England carried into this game would hold any relevance in an away Ashes series.

danzydab

U19 Debutant
Pathum Nissanka and Kusal Mendis justified their ridiculous fc records. Hope Sri Lanka dont randomly bin them after a few failures like they usually do with promising players.

Hope Lahiru Kumara keeps up this form with the ball. Kasun Rajitha should be back in for Milan Rathnayake

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Pathum Nissanka and Kusal Mendis justified their ridiculous fc records. Hope Sri Lanka dont randomly bin them after a few failures like they usually do with promising players.

Hope Lahiru Kumara keeps up this form with the ball. Kasun Rajitha should be back in for Milan Rathnayake
I’ve said re Bashir and Hartley/Ahmed about how you shouldn’t pick bowlers based on their batting, I might make an exception for Rathnayake since without him the Sri Lanka tail is very weak
Madushka—2, failed both Tests, maybe he was lucky to even get 2
Karunaratne—4, one decent innings, one start and the rest were failures
Nissanka—8 MotM this Test, he’s earned his place in the team for now at least
Kusal Mendis—4, not too dissimilar, I understand he’s perceived back home a bit like Ollie Pope is here, and like Pope, maybe his spot isn’t quite up for grabs just yet
Mathews—6, largely underwhelming, though he ended up helping steer his team home in a memorable victory in his last Test on these shores
Chandimal—7, one hell of a knock at Old Trafford when Wood threatened to bludgeon his fingers off, didn’t do much else of real note in the final two Tests aside from a rather superfluous half-century at Lord’s
De Silva—7, some rather questionable calls as skipper, but managed at half-century in each Test
Kamindu Mendis—8 superstar in the making
Rathnayake—6, OK with the ball, got significantly more about him with the bat than the rest of the bowling attack which might make a difference
Jayasuriya—6, good at Old Trafford, not so good at Lord’s, can’t really say it was a mistake to drop him
Vishwa Fernando—6, very average at Old Trafford but he bowled very well at the Oval
Asitha Fernando—8, for all this talk of release heights, I wonder if the skiddy action of Asitha might actually help him. Cracking series, I’m sure we’ll see him on these shores again soon enough in the County Championship
Kumara—6, thought he ran out of puff at Lord’s, but fair play to him, he kept going

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
Englands test summer ended on a low note on a cold windy day at the OVal with a brilliant 100 by Nissanka and Slankas first test win outside
Asia for 4 years [against Zimbab]. The way England batted after being 290-4 suggests they havnt learned any lessons from other defeats last year against oz, and in india. Some brilliant catches taken but they also dropped a lot of regulation ones and sitters every match. They were lucky but often sloppy.

A lot of positives from winning 5 tests, and the perfs of the younger and newer players, but the batting is still overly reliant on Root, especially in Stokes absence, and brook had a poor series against SL. Woakes bowled well in every match, and often without the returns he deserved, but I dont see him as being able to lead the attack in Pakistan or NZ.

Summer certainly feels over now, so I hope the weather stays dry enough for the mini ashes series, more England A vs Oz A. Wisely Gus is gonna sit this 1 out.