• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I am guessing Jacks and Curran because they will be in the England t20 side against the Aussies later this week?
Pfft.

I'm sure you're right, but pulling players out of this match for some unnecessary micky mouse internationals isn't ideal.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Surrey's XI today vs Surrey's missing XI

Today: Rory Burns, Dom Sibley, Ryan Patel, Ben Geddes, Ben Foakes, Shakib Al Hasan, Tom Curran, Jordan Clark, Cameron Steel, Kemar Roach, Dan Worrall

Missing/Not Picked: Jason Roy, Will Jacks, Laurie Evans, Ollie Pope, Dan Lawrence, Jamie Smith, Sam Curran, Jamie Overton, Chris Jordan, Gus Atkinson, Reece Topley,

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Today: Rory Burns, Dom Sibley, Ryan Patel, Ben Geddes, Ben Foakes, Shakib Al Hasan, Tom Curran, Jordan Clark, Cameron Steel, Kemar Roach, Dan Worrall
Missing/Not Picked: Jason Roy, Will Jacks, Laurie Evans, Ollie Pope, Dan Lawrence, Jamie Smith, Sam Curran, Jamie Overton, Chris Jordan, Gus Atkinson, Reece Topley,
Looking at that list:
Jacks, Pope, Lawrence, Smith, SCurran, Atkinson, Jordan and Topley are on various England duties.
Roy hasn't played for us for ages, not even in the T20, and I'm not sure what's happening there.
Overton's injured. Of course.
Evans only plays for the T20 side for some reason. Given the number of absentees, I'm suprised he isn't playing here.
You could have included Lawes. No idea whether he's injured or dropped due to not playing very well this season.
The other absentee is Sudharsan, who I gather has returned to India for their domestic competition.

Molehill

International Captain

Somewhat stretching the imagination to imagine this lot playing red ball cricket now isn't it?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Somewhat stretching the imagination to imagine this lot playing red ball cricket now isn't it?
It's stretching the imagination to see Roy playing any cricket at all for his county side. Good job that I'm not bitter.
I think Overton would do if he was ever fit.
And as I said before, I don't know why Evans isn't available or considered when so many others are missing.

Anyway. Young Vaughan is still batting beautifully. And they've brought the young guy to commentate on the Somerset live stream, who is always excellent. The old bloke that he's just replaced is less so. I think they also had Vic Marks on commentary duties earlier, and he's always good too.

Yeoman

U19 Captain
I notice reading a Yorkshire blog that there are rumours that only 3 of Yorkshire's 7 Championship games will be played at Headingley in 2025.
3 at Scarborough and 1 at York.
Interesting to see if that happens.
Won't mind if it does myself as I will be over in England next year and haven't been to either venue, so can hopefully tick one of those outgrounds off my list.
Both absolutely worth a visit, especially Scarborough - one of the best outgrounds.

Tom Flint

International Regular
It's stretching the imagination to see Roy playing any cricket at all for his county side. Good job that I'm not bitter.
I think Overton would do if he was ever fit.
And as I said before, I don't know why Evans isn't available or considered when so many others are missing.

Anyway. Young Vaughan is still batting beautifully. And they've brought the young guy to commentate on the Somerset live stream, who is always excellent. The old bloke that he's just replaced is less so. I think they also had Vic Marks on commentary duties earlier, and he's always good too.
Are you listening on BBC or do somerset have their own comms?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Are you listening on BBC or do somerset have their own comms?
I am watching the live stream on Youtube.

EDIT
Switch on now and you'll see some absolute filth from Cameron Steel and some very fine batting from Banton.
tbh Burns' captaincy has been rather odd today. He must be well aware that Surrey struggle with the kookabara ball, and this is a pretty green pitch, but he brought on Shakib really early in the innings. I suppose he wanted to make sure he got value for money from the expensive import.

Last edited: