• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I for one am furious about the arrogance being shown by Jamie Smith to score runs with attacking shots. He should only be scoring runs with non-arrogant methods, which are solely nurdles to square leg for one and forward defensives that lead to overthrows.
Not even comparable and you know it.

But sneer away. Play the way we have this summer next winter and the Aussie regiment on will be laughing their heads off at yet another 5-0.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer

But sneer away. Play the way we have this summer next winter and the Aussie regiment on will be laughing their heads off at yet another 5-0.
In a way, I hope it’s arrogance in thinking this game either doesn’t matter or was already in the bag as we haven’t always been so gung-ho, because I don’t think we’d be that arrogant Down Under

Howe_zat

Audio File

Why haven't they called you up yet for a consultation on the 'more goodness, less worseness' strategy?

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Very unlikely England last the day, but it could be handy to get dismissed just before the end of play, hopefully get Sri Lanka 1 or 2 down and then hope Atkinson is fit enough for tomorrow

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
In a way, I hope it’s arrogance in thinking this game either doesn’t matter or was already in the bag as we haven’t always been so gung-ho, because I don’t think we’d be that arrogant Down Under
We still need to find a batter or two who are better than Lawrence who are not already in the side more than anything.The too three have been badly exposed this series, regardless of Pope’s knock first dig and Brook has been off colour, to say the least.

Silver Silva

International Debutant

I don't think the style of play is the problem ..

It's been brilliant to watch and largely successful but asking Lawrence to open, Woakes at 7, Atkinson playing so many games in a row is asking for trouble , there's no way England would do that in the Ashes so that's where the arrogance/complacency part comes in I guess.

mackembhoy

International Debutant

It's been brilliant to watch and largely successful but asking Lawrence to open, Woakes at 7, Atkinson playing so many games in a row is asking for trouble , there's no way England would do that in the Ashes so that's where the arrogance/complacency part comes in I guess.
Yep agreed on all that.

Every England fan has loved the approach. I've still yet to see us improve on it, the pinnacle was still that Pakistan series.

They should never been devoid of criticism.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I get time moves on, sports science is more advanced, and rotation is the way. But in the seven tests a summer era it was not unusual for multiple quicks to play the lot. I’m not sure Atkinson playing six is really asking for trouble. They rested him elsewhere.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
We still need to find a batter or two who are better than Lawrence who are not already in the side more than anything.The too three have been badly exposed this series, regardless of Pope’s knock first dig and Brook has been off colour, to say the least.
I feel we have a lot of promising young top order players, but whereas even if Hull or Bashir get hit around the park, one magic ball or a poor shot can turn it around, introducing a young batter into the line of fire when you’re always one ball away from oblivion is even more risky

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Both these things do come from injuries. Woakes has batted 7 when Stokes has been injured before, wouldn't be at all surprised if he battted there against Australia at home. They had Moeen at 3 last summer.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer

Tbf we'll probably need to bring about 10 seamers to Aus with the rate they get injured!