• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of the West Indies, AUGUST 6th to 26th, 2024-- 2 TESTS & 3 T20Is

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shamar's best bowling figures in this format.

Bish bringing up Berbice boys performing (Motie, Shepherd, and Shamar)

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We have had the better of SA in the last 3 series against them. Some feat it is...but they have beat us in the one that mattered the most (T20 WC)

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Well, not much of a consolation considering South Africa have won the games that have mattered between the two teams, and this hasn’t really taught us anything we didn’t know before, but a morale-boosting series win nonetheless

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Well, not much of a consolation considering South Africa have won the games that have mattered between the two teams, and this hasn’t really taught us anything we didn’t know before, but a morale-boosting series win nonetheless
Tbh I wouldn't even call it morale boosting, though perhaps I'm overly negative.

We win most of the bilateral T20 series that we play nowadays, hence why we are ranked so highly.

This is essentially us at 90% strength versus an SA team missing half of their first choice team. We haven't taken the chance to look at any new players at all whilst SA are playing an 18 year old.

The only things we've learned so far are that Shamar's T20 bowling is coming on nicely and that Alick is capable of cameos at the top of the order.

Even if we play Fabian Allen, Hety and McCoy in the next match, we know exactly what they're capable of. It's one of many reasons why this series feels pointless.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Genuinely one of the worst T20i innings I've seen from Van Der Dussen. Killed the chase completely.
Not sure what the thinking is with van der Dussen. 35 with a 120 SR coming in at 5. If they are going to play him, he needs to bat 3.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Not sure what the thinking is with van der Dussen. 35 with a 120 SR coming in at 5. If they are going to play him, he needs to bat 3.
Was just going to comment on this. In this squad I'd rather Markram at 5,but I guess the thinking is he will be the no.3 moving forward so they don't want to move him around.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I like that they are giving Kruger and Ferreira a go. We went with Jansen at 7 in the WC which seemed a little light.
Yeah that's great, I wish Ferreira would bowl too cause Markram isn't a great 6th bowling option anymore ..

But even our No.8 & 9 needs to be a lot better, we had Fortuin and Williams in those positions who aren't even world class bowlers so it makes no sense to play them there..

In the T20 WC Maharaj looked terrible batting at no.8

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Was just going to comment on this. In this squad I'd rather Markram at 5,but I guess the thinking is he will be the no.3 moving forward so they don't want to move him around.
Why not simply play your best team? I.e., play Klassen, Rabada, Jansen, QdK, etc.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Why not simply play your best team? I.e., play Klassen, Rabada, Jansen, QdK, etc.
I think QDK being involved moving forward is up in the air. Jansen and Rabada is more for load management and I genuinely don't know if Miller and Klaasen committed to being around for the next T20 WC. Quite a few of these blokes don't play IPL which is a way to be exposed to international quality cricketers so they have to be tried at some stage. Why not now in a series where the engagement/interest is clearly low?

Bahseph

International Debutant
Yeah that's great, I wish Ferreira would bowl too cause Markram isn't a great 6th bowling option anymore ..

But even our No.8 & 9 needs to be a lot better, we had Fortuin and Williams in those positions who aren't even world class bowlers so it makes no sense to play them there..

In the T20 WC Maharaj looked terrible batting at no.8
I haven't seen much of Ferreira as a bowler but if seems that he does better in FC stuff. Perhaps his style isn't as suited to T20 as Markram is. I don't think Markram is that bad when we need to steal an over or two. He does seem to be better with the new ball though.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I haven't seen much of Ferreira as a bowler but if seems that he does better in FC stuff. Perhaps his style isn't as suited to T20 as Markram is. I don't think Markram is that bad when we need to steal an over or two. He does seem to be better with the new ball though.
But it seems like he's the only 6th bowling option we have in odi and t20 it's getting kinda stale in my opinion

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
These bilaterals mean absolutely zero as long as you don't lose a million series in a row and do decently at WC's. SA already know klassan and rabada are world class. They'de rather get a look at some of the guys they don't know as much about in the buildup to the next big event. Is rickelton really there best backup opener/first choice when quinny ****s off? Who is there 5th best pacer who will be the backup at the next WC? If they just play full strength they don't really get any answer to these questions, and if they do well it just reaffirms what they already know.

There's obviously levels to this. Reeza-x-Makram-Stubbs is probably going to be the top 4 for the foreseable future unless something goes horribly wrong. Different teams have different approaches and degrees of **** it, but most top teams follow this approach,

Bahseph

International Debutant
I'm with @Nintendo there. Basically they want to find a replacement for QDK and maybe Miller, shore up that number 7 spot and find out who the third spinner is after Shamsi and Maharaj. I think Fortuin has that spot at the moment but they took a look at Peter and I think Muthusamy and Subrayen are in the mix. I think Subrayen is the best LO offie in SA but they haven't given him a game yet.

Last edited: